2023 Draft Talk

swede700

Once again, Happy Cinco de Mayo!  Which means it's time to create the thread to begin to discuss the 2023 draft prospects, so we can begin to follow them once the 2022 college football season gets underway. 

As we stand now, it appears that, after a draft off, it's going to be a QB-centric draft with teams sucking for Stroud, yucking it up for Young, tanking for Tyler Van Dyke, maybe now having to reek for Rattler, or heaving chunks for Hall or Haener.  Discuss away!

After an improbable, Foles-esque, run after Kirk Cousins goes down with bilateral leg weakness, the Super Bowl Champion Minnesota Vikings, with their future at QB secure in Kellen Mond, select Sam LaPorta, TE, Iowa with the 32nd pick. 

Before a snap is even played in 2022 I'd rank our needs as the following:

1. EDGE - How well do Hunter/Smith hold up? Who from our DE/OLB pool can successfully make the transition to 3-4 EDGE?
2. 5T - Are the current 5T's capable of holding the position long-term? I see a bunch of question marks here.
3. OC - Does Bradbury take a step forward? Does someone on the roster supplant him as a long-term option?
4. ILB - Asamoah could be a nice start but both Kendricks ($$$) and Hicks are nearing the end of their current deals.
5. WR - Thielen won't be around forever.
6. CB - Can never have too many CB's in today's game. Booth and Evans are unproven and Peterson is on a 1-year deal. 

I'm leaving QB off the list but I would expect that if Kwesi/KO identify a franchise QB they would be selected and take over for Cousins after the 2023 season.

7 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Before a snap is even played in 2022 I'd rank our needs as the following:

1. EDGE - How well do Hunter/Smith hold up? Who from our DE/OLB pool can successfully make the transition to 3-4 EDGE?
2. 5T - Are the current 5T's capable of holding the position long-term? I see a bunch of question marks here.
3. OC - Does Bradbury take a step forward? Does someone on the roster supplant him as a long-term option?
4. ILB - Asamoah could be a nice start but both Kendricks ($$$) and Hicks are nearing the end of their current deals.
5. WR - Thielen won't be around forever.
6. CB - Can never have too many CB's in today's game. Booth and Evans are unproven and Peterson is on a 1-year deal. 

I'm leaving QB off the list but I would expect that if Kwesi/KO identify a franchise QB they would be selected and take over for Cousins after the 2023 season.

I agree with this at this point for sure. Especially the QB thought.

I’d add tight end to that list. Who knows how Irv comes back, they didn’t take a potential long-term piece or successor early, and with him and Mundt  being on the last year of their deals, they could just look to separate and find a cheaper option. I’d much rather see him stay and be the answer, but it’s worth mentioning.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Robbroy45 said:

I’d add tight end to that list. Who knows how Irv comes back, they didn’t take a potential long-term piece or successor early, and with him and Mundt  being on the last year of their deals, they could just look to separate and find a cheaper option. I’d much rather see him stay and be the answer, but it’s worth mentioning.

That is a fair add. Contract year for him like you pointed out so it would provide an easy opportunity to move on should he flounder this year. 

Unfortunate that Irv missed all of last year but I think he has the skill-set to thrive in the KO offense. Bummer he was "stuck" behind Rudolph in 2020.

TE #'s in offenses with KO as OC:

2021 (Rams) 94 of 602 = 15.6% ( Tyler Higbee (85), Kendall Blanton (7), Johnny Mundt (1), and Brycen Hopkins (1))

2020 (Rams) 125 of 563 = 22.2% (Goff at QB - Gerald Everett (61), Tyler Higbee (60), and Johnny Mundt (1))

2019 (Commanders) 73 of 465 = 15.7% (Keenum and Haskins (RIP) at QB; Jeremy Sprinkle (40), Vernon Davis (19), and Hale Hentges (14))

If cousins stays healthy, and we finish 8/9 wins then perhaps NT/DT, as they were considering Jordan Davis, and Dalvin might not be back. I think they’ll get beat out for move-up trades. 

If cousins does not stay healthy and we finish 4/5/6 wins, then perhaps QB, as they’ll have a high enough draft position to get someone they might like. 

CJ Stroud and Will Levis are my early favorites. Stroud is an incredible athlete and his ball placement is the best I’ve seen from this class. He also works well through his progressions, unlike the previous Ohio State QB. Will Levis is a notch below Stroud but he put out really good game-tape and on a lot of plays he looks like Josh Allen. I have a strong feeling that we’ll be drafting a QB early in 2023. 

• 4 months later...

Yes...it's real early, but here's a mock draft...looks like another CB according to this guy.

20. Minnesota Vikings -Joey Porter Jr. CB, Penn State

Minnesota needs some help opposite Cam Dantzler as Patrick Peterson isn’t getting any younger. Joey Porter Jr. is one of the best corners in this class and he would be a great addition to this Vikings defense. Porter is an extremely long corner who excels in press but also shows the foot quickness and hip flexibility to stay connected throughout the route.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/nfl-mock-draft-2023-top-players-offense/

Thank goodness Sullivan is only on the roster one year, right now I have the Vikings getting Clark Phillips III Utah RS SOPH CB 1st round.  Could be an awesome slot corner or could play outside, good ball skills and tackling, a little short but in the slot that is less of a problem.

John Michael Schmitz Minnesota RS SR C I have them getting in the 2nd, might be a bit high but I think Schmitz has had a solid season but would be great if he fell to the 3rd or 4th.  Would be surprised if they brought Bradberry back but he has not been awful this year I guess like he has at times the previous seasons.  

Have them getting Brenton Strange Penn State RS JR TE in the 3rd, he is a great athlete and is an actual TE with size which the Vikings really need to help with blocking and they are far more difficult to cover with size and length.

Then have them getting TJ Franklin Baylor SR DE in the 5th.  Have not gone the next two rounds yet.

Team needs are totally CB/C/TE/DL but sure could go a variety of ways.  Real interesting thing would be if a QB falls do they take him, say Anthony Richardson is there in the 1st, or Will Levis, would not hate Bo Nix in the mid rounds or Jaren Hall either.  Nick Mullens is no long term plan.  

Siaki Ika Baylor RS JR NT I would not hate getting, I think he is a 1st round pick all the way and is the best NT in the draft potentially.  He has not had a great season so far in terms of stats but dude is huge and can move people, was super effective last year but now teams are planning for him.  TJ Franklin could be a great 3/4 DE as well and Garmon Randolph needs a lot of work but is a totally huge potential 3/4 OLB so Baylor has some dudes that can fit into a 3/4, also have Jaxson Player who can get after the passer and is super athletic inside.  

8 hours ago, swede700 said:

Yes...it's real early, but here's a mock draft...looks like another CB according to this guy.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/nfl-mock-draft-2023-top-players-offense/

Jaeyln Duncan the 4th pick overall is totally absurd!  Who made this, that is pretty nuts.  He will be drafted but not that high, Peter Skoronski might be the best OT along with Dawand Jones but both are still some what of a project and it is a super weak OT class in terms of top end talent and Duncan is not some top end talent.  Michael Mayer is way better than where they have him picked, and Cam Smith is not that good of CB out of South Carolina but whatever, give me Antonio Johnson, Joey Porter Jr or Clark Phillips III over him all day.  

Also Quentin Johnston I thought was super good also but he has not done great this season, will be interesting to watch him against Kansas this weekend, but he has had a rough year but lucky for him not a ton of great WRs either outside of the few top guys.