2023 Draft Talk

swede700

18 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True but it is pretty deep, not sure Jayden Daniels declares but most of these guys might not even be drafted just based on pure numbers.  So could get a UDFA QB potentially that is pretty decent kind of easily.  

Kedon Slovis Pitt
Jayden Daniels LSU RS JR
Dillon Gabriel Oklahoma
Spencer Sanders Ok State RS
Aidan O'Connell Purdue
JT Daniels West Virginia RS
Stetson Bennett Georgia RS
Malik Cunningham Louisville RS
Sean Clifford Penn State RS
Casey Thompson Nebraska RS
Gerry Bohanon USF RS
Tyler Shough Texas Tech
Adrian Martinez Kansas State
Tanner Morgan Minnesota RS

Assuming all these guys get drafted if they declare but that might not even be the case, only 10 QBs got drafted last year and on this list is 15.   A lot of COVID guys with another year on the previous list and even this one.   Penix, McCall and Hartman might not declare but pretty sure all the rest will.  

Bryce Young Alabama JR
CJ Stroud Ohio State RS SOPH
Anthony Richardson Florida RS SOPH
Will Levis Kentucky RS
DJ Uiagalelei Clemson JR
Bo Nix Oregon
Jaren Hall BYU RS JR
Spencer Rattler South Carolina RS
Michael Penix Jr Washington RS JR
Hendon Hooker Tennessee RS
Sam Hartman Wake Forest RS JR
Dorian Thompson-Robinson UCLA RS
Grayson McCall Coastal Carolina RS JR
Phil Jurkovec Boston College RS
Brennan Armstrong Virginia RS

The UDFA list is interesting.

Besides Stroud and Young, and I'm not impressed. Levis has a huge arm and the best comparison I've seen of him is Ryan Tannehill with less mobility.

Richardson seems toolsy. Clemson's QB doesn't impress me. Maybe Nix or Hall jump onto the scene late?

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

The UDFA list is interesting.

Besides Stroud and Young, and I'm not impressed. Levis has a huge arm and the best comparison I've seen of him is Ryan Tannehill with less mobility.

Richardson seems toolsy. Clemson's QB doesn't impress me. Maybe Nix or Hall jump onto the scene late?

I guess throw Max Duggan in that list also, just a ton of moderate to decent QBs and one should be able to get one as a UDFA quite easily.  Say 8-10 QBs get drafted, a decent player at the position will fall to being a UDFA.  Then again many should return, all the guys below are listed as juniors even though many they are in their 5th season.   Really all these 5 should return to school.  

Jayden Daniels LSU RS JR
Dillon Gabriel Oklahoma RS JR
JT Daniels West Virginia RS JR
Casey Thompson Nebraska RS JR
Gerry Bohanon USF RS JR
Taulia Tagovailoa Maryland RS JR
Will Rogers Miss State JR

Shough might return because I think he has been hurt most of the year but it is his 5th season, Penix might declare and same with Hartman and McCall but might be better for all to return unless they have a great rest of the season, same with Rattler.   Leary for sure could return and honestly Travis should as well.  

Tyler Shough Texas Tech

Spencer Rattler South Carolina RS JR
Devin Leary NC State RS JR
Michael Penix Jr Washington RS JR
Sam Hartman Wake Forest RS JR
Grayson McCall Coastal Carolina RS JR
Jordan Travis Florida State RS JR

Either way someone will drop in the draft just on numbers and would be a decent quality as a UDFA.  One of these guys or all of them really could fall to being a UDFA.   If some of the guys listed above declare then even more will fall as a UDFA.  

Max Duggan TCU
Phil Jurkovec Boston College RS
Brennan Armstrong Virginia RS
Kedon Slovis Pitt
Spencer Sanders Ok State RS
Aidan O'Connell Purdue
Stetson Bennett Georgia RS
Malik Cunningham Louisville RS
Sean Clifford Penn State RS

• Like 1

On 10/9/2022 at 6:29 AM, SteelKing728 said:

I don't think this QB class is all that good.

I can guarantee you already that it will be better than the 2018 class, in which the only ones that seem to have panned out are Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson.  I think I'd be safe saying it'll even be better than 2019.  While there may not be a real high upside player like a Lawrence or Burrow, I think it'll be significantly deeper, and you can get a solid starter if you get one in the first couple of rounds.  I think the Vikings will be in a good position to take one and sit them down for a year or 2 to learn behind Kirk, because I think that's what most of them will take, because outside of maybe Stroud or Young, they won't be ready to play Day 1.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

That Bama/TN game was wild lots of big time prospects showing up on the big stage. Hyatt was super impressive.

Yes that was a fun game to watch. 

Tennessee though had a ton go right for them, a lot of guys had absolutely career games, but 17 penalties for Bama most in program history helped more than a bit.  Also that is the most points ever scored between those two teams, and the time before it was a 5 OT game so that amount of scoring is a bit ridiculous and not sure I am a fan of that type of football where the defense is almost not even out there.  

Tennessee has some good guys for sure, Cooper Mays I would want as a center and he was very impressive, I believe he is a RS JR right now, might not declare but if he does he could be one of the better centers in the draft.  Darnell Wright is a very promising OT as well for Tennessee and could be one of the best in the nation and in the draft up coming.

Hard to not like Hyatt, he has been great the past few weeks.  But it is deceptive that offense, sure Hyatt and Hooker look great but the hashmarks are so wide in college, that is not the case in the NFL and there is far less room.  Not to mention Bama is without Eli Ricks at CB and Khyree Jackson the other CB is out for them as well so they were picking on #3 Arnold all day and winning against him.  Also sucks a great player like Will Anderson Jr is completely taken out of the game with that up tempo offense and all that space and the WRs out so wide.  So that sucks, granted Will should get off blocks a lot better than he does and surprised he does not collapse the pocket more and just bull rush and at least move the OT back.  

Tennessee did run the ball well and that OL performed well so that balance helped them a ton, but have to give props to Bryce Young.  His teammates crapped all over him all game and his body language was still great and supportive throughout and really they should have won the game despite getting their butt kicked basically the entire game.  His leadership, poise, vision and toughness was really impressive, dude got absolutely killed out there in that game coming off that shoulder injury, two dudes on Tennessee should have been kicked out of the game for strikes to the head and were not, Young showed amazing toughness and leadership in that one.  

On 10/16/2022 at 7:42 AM, SteelKing728 said:

I want us to get a mid round RB this year. Not sure who that'll be though.

I think they'll move on from Mattison and roll with Cook, Chandler, and Kene next year. Even their pre season/PS guys looked good. Given Cook's contract and the way this offense uses RBs, I wouldn't be surprised if RBs are not prioritized at all in the draft.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AP_allday2869 said:

We are quickly playing our way out of QB range, so I would really love us to fix the D. CB should be priority #1. Who are some of the top corners that may declare that we should be looking out for?

I believe there will still be good QBs available at the bottom of the 1st round. There may be 3-4 that go early, but there will be a lot of teams in the middle and late that won't go after QBs.  And under the new regime, it's not out of the question that if they like a guy, they may do what it takes to trade up.  They don't seem as hell-bent on the amount of the picks as they do the quality of the picks.  

I think that they can look at any position on defense - they need to build more depth. On offense I'd like to see them focus on TE and WR. I'd like a draft to look something like:

R1: Michael Mayer (TE from ND)
R2: Siaki Ika (NT from Baylor)
R3: Eli Ricks (CB from Alabama)

7 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

I think that they can look at any position on defense - they need to build more depth. On offense I'd like to see them focus on TE and WR. I'd like a draft to look something like:

R1: Michael Mayer (TE from ND)
R2: Siaki Ika (NT from Baylor)
R3: Eli Ricks (CB from Alabama)

I would love Mayer for the Vikings but doubt he falls that far, who knows though depending on how he times.  Ika might be there but even with him he should be gone late 1st or early 2nd.  They could maybe be in play for Mazi Smith from Michigan another super athletic NT for his size.  Ricks no way he lasts till the 3rd, if he was healthy and playing he is a top 15 pick all day, especially with CB being such a need, look how Bama was without him most of this season.

9 hours ago, AP_allday2869 said:

We are quickly playing our way out of QB range, so I would really love us to fix the D. CB should be priority #1. Who are some of the top corners that may declare that we should be looking out for?

I agree CB is the biggest need.  Ideally they steal Clark Phillips in the 1st somehow, he could be the starting slot corner instantly and is tough as can be.  I would not mind any of these guys either, sadly Malachi Moore has disappointed so not sure he even declares.  Mullen could be a great slot corner, DJ Turner could play either position same with Steven Gilmore Stephon's brother.  Witherspoon has big time ball skills and is very promising, Moss is versatlie as well and later rounds Brooks could be a decent slot possibly.

Eli Ricks Alabama JR
Antonio Johnson Texas A&M JR
Kelee Ringo Georgia RS SOPH
Clark Phillips III Utah RS SOPH
Joey Porter Jr Penn State RS JR
Devon Witherspoon Illinois RS JR
DJ Turner Michigan SR CB
Tiawan Mullen Indiana
Cory Trice Purdue RS
Steven Gilmore Marshall
Riley Moss Iowa RS
DJ Ivey Miami FL RS
AJ Hampton Northwestern RS
Nehemiah Pritchett Auburn
Greg Brooks Jr LSU
Terell Smith Minnesota RS
Sevyn Banks LSU
Mekhi Blackmon USC RS
Keidron Smith Kentucky RS
Reese Taylor Purdue

Absolutely is a need though no question especially with how Sullivan basically sucks out there and they give up an crazy amount of yards passing, just look at that Miami game against two backup QBs, sure they have good receivers but they were open a ton in that game.

5 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Idk, I’ve seen Ricks listed 7th-10th at his position, and he seems to be a zone CB at this point. Lots of speed that doesn’t translate on the field. He definitely hasn’t lived up to his recruiting status.

Hard to live up to it when he was hurt all last season and has barely played this year.  When healthy as a freshman in 2020 dude was legit and is legit just needs to stay on the field.  

Only reason he would fall in the draft is if he is hurt.

I must say Vikings could get a starting center in the 2nd round, assuming they just straight pass on bringing back Bradbury.

Jarrett Patterson Notre Dame RS SR - Probably a 1st round pick might not be around when they pick but if he was might be worth a 1st round selection, dude can play multiple positions OT, OG or C.  

Olusegun Oluwatimi Michigan SR - I really like him, dominating season on Michigan and he is something Bradbury is not, big and strong, he could handle power in the NFL where Bradbury cannot, he could be there in the 2nd maybe but might be gone in the 1st if he keeps playing this well.

John Michael Schmitz Minnesota RS SR - Very good athlete, can wall off defenders well and moves well in space.  Could be around 2nd or 3rd round and is a nice option if the other two are gone.

Ricky Stromberg Arkansas SR - Decent center, could be picked higher but most likely will be in the 3rd or 4th round range.  Solid athlete and is tough.  

Juice Scruggs Penn State RS SR - Big strong center, something the Vikings need, has to develop more but could be worth a 6th or 7th round pick maybe higher.