2023 Draft Talk

swede700

On 11/8/2022 at 9:21 AM, KeithVikings28 said:

Call me crazy but I would like to see Stetson Bennett in Minnesota.

I can see him being the Chase Daniels type.

Perfect backup behind Kirk.

I would not mind him, especially as a UDFA and see what he can do.  He was lights out against Tennessee last weekend, and that offense can really move the ball and he runs it very well and knows how to get the ball out quickly.  They are almost unstoppable with that quick offense and using the backs and TEs so well.

All these guys could be late 7th rounders or potentially UDFAs, so one could wait and get a decent potential back no question.  

Stetson Bennett Georgia RS
Phil Jurkovec Boston College RS
Brennan Armstrong Virginia RS
Kedon Slovis Pitt
Sean Clifford Penn State RS
Malik Cunningham Louisville RS
Spencer Sanders Ok State RS
Aidan O'Connell Purdue

Will see if these guys declare or not, but one or two of them will fall in the draft no question and Vikings could get one of them.  Duggan I would not mind in the 7th and I have him ahead of Bennett right now because he is such a good athlete.  McCall is interesting but might go mid rounds if declares, Hartman is interesting, Thompson-Robinson is a big time athlete same with Daniels, and Penix is having a great year and Hall could drop but has big time arm talent and so does Rattler.  So there are tons of options out there and best bet could be just to wait till the 7th or as UDFA guys and see who falls because only 10 or so QBs will be drafted anyway.  Only 10 were drafted last year, 13 the year before that and there are way more than that in terms of numbers potentially in the 2022 draft because of that COVID year.  

Jayden Daniels LSU RS JR
Michael Penix Jr Washington RS JR
Jaren Hall BYU RS JR
Spencer Rattler South Carolina RS JR
Sam Hartman Wake Forest RS JR
Dorian Thompson-Robinson UCLA RS
Grayson McCall Coastal Carolina RS JR
Max Duggan TCU SR

3 hours ago, KeithVikings28 said:

Who? 

Just looking at various rankings for the upcoming draft, the Atlantic has the top receivers as Quentin Johnston, TCU (17th overall), Jordan Addison, USC (18th), Jaxon smith-Njigba, Ohio State (26th), and Jalin Hyatt, Tennessee (37th).

CBS Sports has Kayshon Boutte, LSU (14th), Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Ohio State (18th), Jordan Addison, USC (21st), Quentin Johnston, TCU (28th overall), and Zay Flowers, Boston College (37th).

Draftek has Jordan Addison, USC (8th), Quentin Johnston, TCU (15th overall), Josh Downs, North Carolina (23rd), Kayshon Boutte, LSU (26th), and Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Ohio State (37th).

I'd rather see IOL and CB as the top draft picks, maybe an DE is an outstanding one falls but they are over-valued in the NFL these days.

8 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

Just looking at various rankings for the upcoming draft, the Atlantic has the top receivers as Quentin Johnston, TCU (17th overall), Jordan Addison, USC (18th), Jaxon smith-Njigba, Ohio State (26th), and Jalin Hyatt, Tennessee (37th).

CBS Sports has Kayshon Boutte, LSU (14th), Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Ohio State (18th), Jordan Addison, USC (21st), Quentin Johnston, TCU (28th overall), and Zay Flowers, Boston College (37th).

Draftek has Jordan Addison, USC (8th), Quentin Johnston, TCU (15th overall), Josh Downs, North Carolina (23rd), Kayshon Boutte, LSU (26th), and Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Ohio State (37th).

I'd rather see IOL and CB as the top draft picks, maybe an DE is an outstanding one falls but they are over-valued in the NFL these days.

Hyatt would be great.

I honestly wouldnt mind a WR in round 1 and im hardly ever on that train. Keep building an elite offense for the eventual QBotF. Think something like Detroit or Cincy.

CB, im fine with waiting on in the draft, rounds 2+, with Dantzler, Booth and Evans around. Although a nickle CB is a need still.

DL and IOL

RB, I wouldnt mind another with DC on his back nine here in Minny and Mattison more than likely being on his way out as well.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

I honestly wouldnt mind a WR in round 1 and im hardly ever on that train. Keep building an elite offense for the eventual QBotF. Think something like Detroit or Cincy.

CB, im fine with waiting on in the draft, rounds 2+, with Dantzler, Booth and Evans around. Although a nickle CB is a need still.

DL and IOL

RB, I wouldnt mind another with DC on his back nine here in Minny and Mattison more than likely being on his way out as well.

I'm the same to a T.

I would also be more than okay with CB in round 1, provided that's where the best prospect remaining is (according to the Minnesota FO). The future of the game is at WR and CB; the three aforementioned guys can't be our top three guys.

As it sits now, we're looking at a late 1st round pick, a third round pick, Detroit's fourth round pick, and a fifth round pick. 

I don't think we'll wind up with only 4 draft picks. I think we'll likely trade back to the middle of round two and try to pick up another 3rd or 4th round pick. 

Our free agents that would hurt to lose are: PP7, Bradbury, and Mattison. 

I think we retain Bullard and Mullens, but they're depth pieces. Mattison will be replaced by Chandler or Kene, or by some mid-round bruiser.

WR2 is a concern, as Thielen is clearly slowing, and KJ hasn't made a big leap. Even if we bring back PP7, our CB group is suspect. Our DL could use an infusion of talent at DE. Losing Bradbury, assuming this is his new level of play, would be quite a tough pill. The group is finally coming together, and I think it will be important for Ingram's development to keep a talented center in the middle.

So assuming we're trading back to Round 2, and assuming someone offers Bradbury more than we will, I'd look at a guy like Steve Avila from TCU. I'd also give consideration to DE. Maybe Gervon Dexter or Zach Pickens.

I'd like to get another CB early, but I don't know that there are many day 2 CBs out there who are ready to make an immediate impact. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

As it sits now, we're looking at a late 1st round pick, a third round pick, Detroit's fourth round pick, and a fifth round pick. 

I don't think we'll wind up with only 4 draft picks. I think we'll likely trade back to the middle of round two and try to pick up another 3rd or 4th round pick. 

Our free agents that would hurt to lose are: PP7, Bradbury, and Mattison. 

I think we retain Bullard and Mullens, but they're depth pieces. Mattison will be replaced by Chandler or Kene, or by some mid-round bruiser.

WR2 is a concern, as Thielen is clearly slowing, and KJ hasn't made a big leap. Even if we bring back PP7, our CB group is suspect. Our DL could use an infusion of talent at DE. Losing Bradbury, assuming this is his new level of play, would be quite a tough pill. The group is finally coming together, and I think it will be important for Ingram's development to keep a talented center in the middle.

So assuming we're trading back to Round 2, and assuming someone offers Bradbury more than we will, I'd look at a guy like Steve Avila from TCU. I'd also give consideration to DE. Maybe Gervon Dexter or Zach Pickens.

I'd like to get another CB early, but I don't know that there are many day 2 CBs out there who are ready to make an immediate impact. 

Right now I have the Vikings taking Christian Gonzalez Oregon RS SOPH CB, caught onto him just lately but he has super star potential and is crazy smooth as a corner.  Considering Phillips, and Ringo are both taken ahead of him, and Eli Ricks stock is dropping like a rock.  

Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson also has potential and if he works out well I would gamble on him late 1st round, he could be a standout slot corner and along with Phillips would be the best potential slot in the draft, and Antonio Johnson is another versatile DB who could be late 1st round range maybe.  

Really depends on what they want to do at center.  Olusegun Oluwatimi Michigan SR C could be a late 1st rounder and would be a solid pickup, because if they wait till the 3rd all the good centers are most likely gone.  Could go NT which is a need and take Siaki Ika or Mazi Smith but not sure that happens because corner and center are bigger needs.

Right now I have them taking Michael Penix Jr Washington RS JR QB in the 3rd, is not a total need pick but I do not have long term faith in Mullens and Penix could be a great project QB.  Is arguably playing better than any QB in the nation this year and made some insane throws on the road against Oregon this weekend.  He has talent but would need time to develop, might be worth the gamble if a C or CB is not there or if they already addressed the CB spot.  Could be great to get John Michael Schmitz or Ricky Stromberg but I assume both are gone before the Vikings pick in the 3rd, heck Penix could be gone before then as well.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 8:43 AM, SteelKing728 said:

I think we target a WR in round 1

That's a terrible idea when the WR class is going to be significantly weaker than what we've seen the past few years.  If there isn't a QBOTF on the table, I think they have to continue building depth on the defense.  If they can continue to develop some of the receivers (Reagor/Nailor/Osborn) that they already have on the roster, then they'll be fine.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 3

I want a NT, CB, or 5T early, and WR or OL in the mid/late rounds. Winning the LOS is what we've seen from elite teams, and while we're mostly there on the OL, the DL still needs help. Tomlinson and Phillips are good, but a true 2 gap NT will make the whole front play better.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Follow the Howie Roseman method. Load up on d-line and edge rushers with your early draft picks. 

When I first started following getting interested in the team building aspect of the NFL I always thought that once you had a QB in place you should draft OL/DL with your first and second round pick until you need another QB and you're going to do pretty well in this league.

I've got to say though I think the pick has to be corner. Dantzler isn't great just solid and Pat Pete could regress serverly.

Booth and Evans are also big unknowns right now

18 minutes ago, viking said:

When I first started following getting interested in the team building aspect of the NFL I always thought that once you had a QB in place you should draft OL/DL with your first and second round pick until you need another QB and you're going to do pretty well in this league.

I've got to say though I think the pick has to be corner. Dantzler isn't great just solid and Pat Pete could regress serverly.

Booth and Evans are also big unknowns right now

The more pressure you can generate, the easier it is for defensive backs. They drafted Booth and Evans for a reason, and while they may be unknowns, they are no more of an unknown than a late 1st round corner. Let them grow and develop. Building a dominant front line makes their job exponentially easier.

Plus, outside of getting a blue chip prospect in the top 5, the success rate of a late round CB compared to a 2nd or 3rd round CB is roughly the same. While late 1st round d-linemen tend to offer more immediate impact.