2023 Draft Talk

swede700

10 hours ago, Morlee said:

Would love to draft a QB in this upcoming draft to place behind Cousins.  I think Cousins with O’ Connell, maybe they can get over than hindrance/rumor that having a capable QB behind him tends to throw him off his game. Even if that is a true issue, I think O’ Connell being there remedies that. 

I don’t care about a rookie contract. I’d like to do it the right way. Draft a young QB and sit him behind Cousins, and allow KOC to work his magic.  Whether that’s Will Levis, Anthony Richardson, or Stetson Bennett, I feel with this coach specifically, something good will come out of either, barring injury of course.

If we don’t go QB, I’d like to see the Vikings pick up an agile mammoth of a DT for the center of the D-Line.  Tomlinson is great but injuries may continue to nag him.  

And everyone knows as long as you have a strong and ferocious front, everything behind them benefits greatly.  You need a player that can mask Donatell’s mistakes as well. Jordan Davis was on my radar this past year but we went another route.  So I guess we will see. 

I think passing on Jordan Davis will be a move that haunts us.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think passing on Jordan Davis will be a move that haunts us.

You mean the guy that has basically been out a month and even before the signings of Suh and Linval Hungry wasn't playing more than 30% of the snaps?

He'll be a fine player, but I don't think it would ever be a move that I regret they didn't make...just as I feel about Kyle Hamilton, who I don't personally believe would have been a good fit in Donatell's defense, based on what it appears he asks of his safeties.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

You mean the guy that has basically been out a month and even before the signings of Suh and Linval Hungry wasn't playing more than 30% of the snaps?

He'll be a fine player, but I don't think it would ever be a move that I regret they didn't make...just as I feel about Kyle Hamilton, who I don't personally believe would have been a good fit in Donatell's defense, based on what it appears he asks of his safeties.

I truly think he'll end up as a special player.

But then, I said the same thing of Javon Kinlaw and Ed Oliver, and while both are pretty good when healthy, I don't think either should be considered "special" right now.

3 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I truly think he'll end up as a special player.

But then, I said the same thing of Javon Kinlaw and Ed Oliver, and while both are pretty good when healthy, I don't think either should be considered "special" right now.

Oliver has certainly had his moments and is certainly pretty solid.  Kinlaw has mainly been irrelevant due to injuries...and even when healthy, hasn't been all that impactful...even in his rookie year when he actually was healthy.

We'll have to see how Davis plays now, apparently, he lost 20 lbs just while rehabilitating his ankle injury.  He's good at gobbling up blocks so he's pretty good in the run game, but if a team passes a lot, he's rather irrelevant...which means he wouldn't have been very effective (at least at this point) on the Vikings defense.  Our problem has been pass defense...and at least at this point, he's not been a factor in the pass rush.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2022 at 8:18 PM, mattyice0401 said:

I guess I have a hard time seeing him as a FRP. I think there’s 2 other TEs who are better than him (not too sure if they’re draft eligible this year, I haven’t checked) the ND TE and Darnell’s teammate. Forgetting both of their names. 

Bowers is a SOPH and cannot declare and Mayer the Notre Dame TE the Vikings could not have a chance at him and he should be long gone.  O'Connell clearly does not use multiple TEs often, is more of a bunch formation guy and uses WR blocking and has just one TE.  Thankfully they have used Ham which is great, even if as a HB but with Ham and Mundt and Hockenson I would be shocked if they draft Washington.  I agree he is great and is basically another athletic OT on the edge and his size changes the game.  Doubt the Vikings draft a TE though, they got CB or C in the 1st is my guess.  

On 12/5/2022 at 8:43 PM, Morlee said:

Would love to draft a QB in this upcoming draft to place behind Cousins.  I think Cousins with O’ Connell, maybe they can get over than hindrance/rumor that having a capable QB behind him tends to throw him off his game. Even if that is a true issue, I think O’ Connell being there remedies that. 

I don’t care about a rookie contract. I’d like to do it the right way. Draft a young QB and sit him behind Cousins, and allow KOC to work his magic.  Whether that’s Will Levis, Anthony Richardson, or Stetson Bennett, I feel with this coach specifically, something good will come out of either, barring injury of course.

If we don’t go QB, I’d like to see the Vikings pick up an agile mammoth of a DT for the center of the D-Line.  Tomlinson is great but injuries may continue to nag him.  

And everyone knows as long as you have a strong and ferocious front, everything behind them benefits greatly.  You need a player that can mask Donatell’s mistakes as well. Jordan Davis was on my radar this past year but we went another route.  So I guess we will see. 

Richardson would be ideal, have him sit and learn for a few years.  Doubt they get him though.  In terms of QBs who fit what Kirk Cousins is like as a player could go with Cameron Rising, Max Duggan, Sam Hartman or Grayson McCall.  I would not mind Stetson Bennett 7th round or UDFA same with Aidan O'Connell.  

I think they got that route, sure could maybe grab Spencer Rattler, Box Nix, Hendon Hooker or Jaren Hall in the mid rounds but not sure they do that.  It is worth looking at, especially since Mullens is nothing great.  

Olusegun Oluwatimi is the way to go in the 1st, and I have them getting Max Duggan in the 5th.  Love how he competes and he is an athletic guy who can expend the play and make accurate throws.  He has more yards and TDs than Hendon Hooker has, Duggan has had a great season and could be a great late round pick.  

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Bowers is a SOPH and cannot declare and Mayer the Notre Dame TE the Vikings could not have a chance at him and he should be long gone.  O'Connell clearly does not use multiple TEs often, is more of a bunch formation guy and uses WR blocking and has just one TE.  Thankfully they have used Ham which is great, even if as a HB but with Ham and Mundt and Hockenson I would be shocked if they draft Washington.  I agree he is great and is basically another athletic OT on the edge and his size changes the game.  Doubt the Vikings draft a TE though, they got CB or C in the 1st is my guess.  

Richardson would be ideal, have him sit and learn for a few years.  Doubt they get him though.  In terms of QBs who fit what Kirk Cousins is like as a player could go with Cameron Rising, Max Duggan, Sam Hartman or Grayson McCall.  I would not mind Stetson Bennett 7th round or UDFA same with Aidan O'Connell.  

I think they got that route, sure could maybe grab Spencer Rattler, Box Nix, Hendon Hooker or Jaren Hall in the mid rounds but not sure they do that.  It is worth looking at, especially since Mullens is nothing great.  

Olusegun Oluwatimi is the way to go in the 1st, and I have them getting Max Duggan in the 5th.  Love how he competes and he is an athletic guy who can expend the play and make accurate throws.  He has more yards and TDs than Hendon Hooker has, Duggan has had a great season and could be a great late round pick.  

Why wouldn’t they get Richardson in the first?  I think, if anything, it may be more likely they do that than anything else.  You need a QB, and Cousins will be 35 next year. O’ Connell most certainly gets his shot with his own young prospect. Unless of course, he just doesn’t like any of the ones that will be available at the Vikings pick. 

They could also wait until next year.  But Cousins’ durability isn’t a sure thing. He’s been pretty durable (knock on wood) for most of his career, but QBs like Mullins and Mannion aren’t the way to go behind him.  

A lot of people aren’t high on him, but my personal belief is that if Richardson is available, you waste no time running with the ticket. 

7 hours ago, Morlee said:

Why wouldn’t they get Richardson in the first?  I think, if anything, it may be more likely they do that than anything else.  You need a QB, and Cousins will be 35 next year. O’ Connell most certainly gets his shot with his own young prospect. Unless of course, he just doesn’t like any of the ones that will be available at the Vikings pick. 

They could also wait until next year.  But Cousins’ durability isn’t a sure thing. He’s been pretty durable (knock on wood) for most of his career, but QBs like Mullins and Mannion aren’t the way to go behind him.  

A lot of people aren’t high on him, but my personal belief is that if Richardson is available, you waste no time running with the ticket. 

I agree, but I think Richardson could be taken before the Vikings pick.  Houston, Carolina, Indy, Seattle, and maybe Washington and Tampa Bay would all be in the market for a QB.  Houston and Carolina get Young/Stroud but the other four could all be interested in a talented developmental backup who will sit and learn for a year or so.  

6 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I agree, but I think Richardson could be taken before the Vikings pick.  Houston, Carolina, Indy, Seattle, and maybe Washington and Tampa Bay would all be in the market for a QB.  Houston and Carolina get Young/Stroud but the other four could all be interested in a talented developmental backup who will sit and learn for a year or so.  

Any chance you see O’ Connel falling in love with one of the QBs and they trade up for one?  I could see them trading up to the late teens or so if he keeps falling. 

Apparently, he is skipping his bowl game.  So if some other 1st to 3rd round prospects perform well in their bowl games, they may draft them ahead of a dynamic but unpolished college QB like Richardson. 

I’m not ready to just rid ourselves dog this year’s Cousins, but I am ready to at least have the future QB on the roster. 

18 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Wonder where Hooker ultimately ends up with his ACL injury and age. 

I see no way the Vikings trade up in this draft. They have 4 picks now, and only 1 in the first 90 picks. We'll probably add 2 comp picks that will be in the later rounds, but they don't have near the ammo to move up without mortgaging next year's draft or creating a hole with a player. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Morlee said:

Any chance you see O’ Connel falling in love with one of the QBs and they trade up for one?  I could see them trading up to the late teens or so if he keeps falling. 

Apparently, he is skipping his bowl game.  So if some other 1st to 3rd round prospects perform well in their bowl games, they may draft them ahead of a dynamic but unpolished college QB like Richardson. 

I’m not ready to just rid ourselves dog this year’s Cousins, but I am ready to at least have the future QB on the roster. 

I don't see that happening...as others have mentioned, they just don't have enough picks to do something like that, without throwing a 2024 and/or 2025 1st rd pick on top of it.  For a team that is fairly veteran at some key positions, I don't think they could afford to do that.  

2 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

How does Richardson compare to Lamar Jackson as a prospect?

Jackson has a lot of potential but made it to pick 32

Jackson was leagues ahead of Richardson. 

Richardson’s tape is that of a day 3 prospect. But he has phenomenal athletic ability, he’s got great size, and he has a very strong arm. He didn’t get a lot of help from Florida’s system, so anyone who drafts him is hoping that he can make developmental leaps like Josh Allen did. But, frankly, Allen showed a lot more ability to play the QB position. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Wonder where Hooker ultimately ends up with his ACL injury and age. 

Yeah he will drop for sure with that injury so he could be on the table potentially 3rd, 4th or 5th round.  He had a great year but is kind of a what have you done lately and that injury is a big one as is his age, along with the system that really helps him look very good because it is so unique.  We will see how Milton looks in the bowl game, Hookers backup, if he looks great that will help show that the system has a ton to do with the QB production because Milton is talented but has never been super productive as a passer.