2023 Draft Talk

swede700

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

That's why they have to move down from 23 (24) to try and add at least 1 or 2 picks.  They can probably also use their 3rd or 4th to move down as well...otherwise, it's going to be lots of UDFAs and bargain basement free agents.    

Yeah, I definitely think they won't pick at 23; it'll be a trade down to around 28-31 and re-coup a 3rd or a 4th. 

A lot of mock drafts coming out today now that the deadline to declare has past, and while I am fully aware that the Vikings need to address their defense, I’ve seen a number of these mock drafts having the Vikings passing on Quentin Johnston. Holy cow, that’s a pill I’m not sure I’d be willing to swallow. 

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

A lot of mock drafts coming out today now that the deadline to declare has past, and while I am fully aware that the Vikings need to address their defense, I’ve seen a number of these mock drafts having the Vikings passing on Quentin Johnston. Holy cow, that’s a pill I’m not sure I’d be willing to swallow. 

There was so much attitude about how this is a weak top end receiver talent class. I personally love this top end of this class.

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

There was so much attitude about how this is a week top end receiver talent. I personally love this too end of this class.

really? I think it's kind of ok. I think there are a bunch of low first round talents, but nothing that should be top 10 picks.

47 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

really? I think it's kind of ok. I think there are a bunch of low first round talents, but nothing that should be top 10 picks.

What truly confuses me is how we are doing this to Jaxson Smith-Njigba. Entering the year he was almost a unanimous top 5 pick in this draft. This class did not improve that much where he should drop that far. Playing with Chris Olave, and Garrett Wilson, he outshine and out-preformed on the field and on the statbooks. This past year he had a hamstring injury and essentially to the year off to heal and not re-injure himself before entering the NFL. The shine seem to wore off because of Marvin Harrison, who truly will also be a star. 

He has great body control, he tracks the ball very well, and knows how to create space which is one of the biggest things needed to become a successful NFL WR.

To me his play style is so similar to Amari Cooper, although I'm not trying to use that as a comp, he is nowhere near as polished as a route runner, but he really could develop into something even better. 

Another stain is he ran so much out of the slot....which we have never heard that before...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I have absolutely no idea where a 5’6” 180 pound joystick is going to get drafted, or even if he’s going to get drafted. But Deuce Vaughn is fun to watch. 

I imagine that he could be as high as a 5th rounder. Danny Woodhead carved out a nice career for himself. Vaughn seems to be faster and shiftier. 

7 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I imagine that he could be as high as a 5th rounder. Danny Woodhead carved out a nice career for himself. Vaughn seems to be faster and shiftier. 

Woodhead is taller.  Darren Sproles would be the equivalent...and went to the same school.  

50 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

It seems like we are here every year, but this is a good year if you need a CB in round 1.

I bet 6 go in Rd 1, maybe even 7 or 8. It's a very talented group. 

The Vikings need to follow the 49ers building plan and build from the line out.  The 49ers didn't always have success with the high picks (as they didn't in that first year drafting Solomon Thomas and Reuben Foster), but they did hit on some and excelled at developing others, which the Vikings have not done in recent years (Jaleel Johnson and Jalyn Holmes were the ones that first came to mind).  If the Vikings can develop a guy like Tonga into becoming a full-time starter and develop more, then they'll be on their way.  But it starts with that line.  I'd rather wait until later to get a CB.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

The Vikings need to follow the 49ers building plan and build from the line out.  The 49ers didn't always have success with the high picks (as they didn't in that first year drafting Solomon Thomas and Reuben Foster), but they did hit on some and excelled at developing others, which the Vikings have not done in recent years (Jaleel Johnson and Jalyn Holmes were the ones that first came to mind).  If the Vikings can develop a guy like Tonga into becoming a full-time starter and develop more, then they'll be on their way.  But it starts with that line.  I'd rather wait until later to get a CB.  

Especially since we still really don't know what we have with Booth and Evans, with Dantzler still under contract. 

CB is the least of our worries. Unless they think they're getting a Sauce Gardner, then work on that front 7 first.

On 1/17/2023 at 10:32 AM, gopherwrestler said:

What truly confuses me is how we are doing this to Jaxson Smith-Njigba. Entering the year he was almost a unanimous top 5 pick in this draft. This class did not improve that much where he should drop that far. Playing with Chris Olave, and Garrett Wilson, he outshine and out-preformed on the field and on the statbooks. This past year he had a hamstring injury and essentially to the year off to heal and not re-injure himself before entering the NFL. The shine seem to wore off because of Marvin Harrison, who truly will also be a star. 

He has great body control, he tracks the ball very well, and knows how to create space which is one of the biggest things needed to become a successful NFL WR.

To me his play style is so similar to Amari Cooper, although I'm not trying to use that as a comp, he is nowhere near as polished as a route runner, but he really could develop into something even better. 

Another stain is he ran so much out of the slot....which we have never heard that before...

Not sure people thin Smith-Njigba sucks or something, it is just out of sight out of mind.  The guy is easily the #1 WR in the class especially if he shows he is solid and can workout athletically.  Like you said he out played both Olave and Wilson and both of them had really good rookie years and where high 1st round picks.  

I imagine Jaxson is the 1st WR off the board.

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Especially since we still really don't know what we have with Booth and Evans, with Dantzler still under contract. 

CB is the least of our worries. Unless they think they're getting a Sauce Gardner, then work on that front 7 first.

Maybe, but it is a great CB class and most of the great ones will be gone by the Vikings pick in the 3rd round.  Maybe they could steal Mullen and he could handle the slot, that would be ideal and he could fall with such a weak class.

If Phillips is around at #23 it would be hard to pass on him because he could be a great slot corner or could play boundary.  

Still to say CB is not a worry, well that secondary was trash and Peterson is a free agent they most likely cannot sign next year unless moves are made.  So CB could be a huge problem, and how can you have faith in Dantzler who is constantly hurt or Booth who is always constantly hurt.  Evans would be the only one and even he was hurt so it is a freaking issue and that secondary is worse than the front 7.  Even when Dantzler, Peterson and Evans were out there playing they still were not that good of a unit.

Mazi Smith if he is around at that pick he would be an option as a NT, but I still say go center and maybe use the money they would have gave Bradbury and pay Peterson for another year.  No 2nd round pick hurts their versatility and potential to grab someone in that round which could be a good player.  And there will be good players in that 2nd round selection they not longer have.  

4 hours ago, swede700 said:

True but in a way the 49ers draft toughness and have tough players at always every position and super versatile offensive players.  They have an identity as a football team that the Vikings absolutely do not have.  The interior DL for the 49ers has not been great, they sign good free agents and most importantly draft well, their LB core is arguably the best in the NFL and all those guys can run and tackle.  Their speed is great defensively and they seem to always draft well regardless of position.

Take the 2021 draft for them, starter in Aaron Banks at OG, starter for Ambry Thomas before he got hurt at CB then Lenoir starts for them at CB and does well as a 5th round pick.  Hufanga is a super star safety and has had a great year as a 5th rounder as well.  Then you have Elijah Mitchell who was a great pick as a 6th rounder, then have a 7th rounder starting for them in the Playoffs from the 2022 draft.  The just know what player they want and put them into their system to succeed.

Not sure the Vikings even have a system or a plan to be honest at the moment.  A lot of the issues they had against the Giants in the playoffs did happen during the regular season they just never address it.  The lack of toughness on the DL and OL is a big reason.  And the team competed but only really when things were going well and they obviously had zero killer instinct to dominate a football game and were just happy to have success of any kind.  

According to this the Vikings only have 5 picks.  I did not know Houston and Denver get their later round picks, so that kind of sucks.  Not having that 2nd rounder hurts as well.  

https://www.tankathon.com/nfl/full_draft

This is who I have the Vikings getting at the moment.  

24. Minnesota Vikings: Olusegun Oluwatimi Michigan SR C
88. Minnesota Vikings: Keion White Georgia Tech RS SR DE
119. Minnesota Vikings (via Detroit Lions): Tiawan Mullen Indiana SR CB
159. Minnesota Vikings: Malik Knowles Kansas State RS SR WR
*177. Minnesota Vikings: Cory Durden NC State RS SR DT