2023 Draft Talk

swede700

Grandpa Mel starts it off..

23. Minnesota Vikings

Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State

Veteran Patrick Peterson was the Vikings' top corner this season, but he's a free agent, and even if the team brings him back, it should start thinking about the future in the secondary. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/35514084/2023-nfl-mock-draft-mel-kiper-first-round-predictions-31-picks-best-team-fits-top-prospects

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Get ready for every mock draft from now until the end of April to have the Vikings drafting a cornerback. With the occasional mock draft having them taking a “falling” quarterback. 

Well, I think until the CB room is more than just Dantzler, Evans, Booth and Kalon Barnes, it's pretty justifiable to keep mocking a cb to the Vikings in R1.

But I assume by the time the draft rolls around, the CB room will have another capable player or two.

43 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Get ready for every mock draft from now until the end of April to have the Vikings drafting a cornerback. With the occasional mock draft having them taking a “falling” quarterback. 

And I'm not really okay with that.  For me (and several others around here including yourself, I believe), the trenches are the priority...way ahead of CB.  Yes, there are some health issues, but if they can get and stay healthy, they will be fine at CB.  It's not really the CB play (outside of Sullivan) that was the major issue with the defense.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, swede700 said:

And I'm not really okay with that.  For me (and several others around here including yourself, I believe), the trenches are the priority...way ahead of CB.  Yes, there are some health issues, but if they can get and stay healthy, they will be fine at CB.  It's not really the CB play (outside of Sullivan) that was the major issue with the defense.  

The current CB room is Dantzler, Evans, Booth and Kalon Barnes.

Until this is addressed, mocks (rightfully) will have CB for the Vikings.

6 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

I disagree.  They also have Gowan and Jackson. 

Edit:  I was also going to bring up the DL, because that's in a far more dire situation, but Semper brought it up first.

Edited by swede700

3 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

The current DL room is Phillips, Blacklock, Lynch, and Otomewo. 

Until this is addressed, mocks have plenty of options to go with for the Vikings.  

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The current DL room is Phillips, Blacklock, Lynch, and Otomewo. 

Until this is addressed, mocks have plenty of options to go with for the Vikings.  

Tonga is a ERFA. He's coming back, it's just a formality. You should include him as well.

I agree with your overall point. The entire defense needs help, at all 3 levels. The Defensive Line prospects in this draft isn't too deep. Not sure if there is one there worth it around 23; but we'll see.

40 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Tonga is a ERFA. He's coming back, it's just a formality. You should include him as well.

I agree with your overall point. The entire defense needs help, at all 3 levels. The Defensive Line prospects in this draft isn't too deep. Not sure if there is one there worth it around 23; but we'll see.

But as I understand, the CB position is the deepest position group, so why bother taking one in Rd 1 when you can get one in Rd 3?  And the interior D-Line (which is exactly what is needed) is not the deepest position group, but isn't the weakest either.  So, that would be a better position group to attack in the 1st than a CB.   Obviously, they aren't going to have any chance at Carter or Bresee, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a NT late in the first or the second (if they trade back, as suspected).  They've got quite a few of those this year and may go higher than most typically think.  

Edited by swede700

12 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’d be more inclined to draft Siaki Ika at 23 than some of these cornerbacks that keep getting mocked to them. 

That's the guy, early on, that I'm intrigued with.  That's a big dude.  And he did play with JJ several years ago.  

Edited by swede700