2023 Draft Talk

swede700

46 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

My primary focus is on adding speed, strength, tenacity, and talent to the front 7. 

If we do go need, I 100% back this. With KOC here the defense will most likely still end up being a 3-4 front and will continue too look for a coach that can bring this if we replace our DC.

currently this team doesn't have what we need at the ILB position. 

What positions do everyone believe are locked and wont be in consideration as Day 1 draft selections for the Vikings.

To me its really only the special teams units and probably drafting another Tackle Day one. Almost every other position could be argued will end up being a position of need.

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

What positions do everyone believe are locked and wont be in consideration as Day 1 draft selections for the Vikings.

To me its really only the special teams units and probably drafting another Tackle Day one. Almost every other position could be argued will end up being a position of need.

Tackle, guard, tight end. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, battle2heaven said:

Tackle, guard, tight end. 

I really wouldn't say Guard would be off the table, I probably don't see it happening.

TE I do agree and probably should have added that, tho it will be interesting to see what they do with Hock considering there is a fair chance he will want to be paid this offseason also. On the other hand I also don't see us going with any TE this year Day 1.

I really don't remember a year where we entered with so many open options come draft time.

2 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I really wouldn't say Guard would be off the table, I probably don't see it happening.

TE I do agree and probably should have added that, tho it will be interesting to see what they do with Hock considering there is a fair chance he will want to be paid this offseason also. On the other hand I also don't see us going with any TE this year Day 1.

I really don't remember a year where we entered with so many open options come draft time.

OG just seems way down on the list and I am of the mindset they didn’t give Ingram 17 starts, endured the growing pains, only to replace him next year and start the process all over. 

I think they’ll extend tj this off-season. Rip up next years salary, lower cap hit but in 2024-2025 will be the higher cap numbers. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

Depending on if they bring Bradbury, offensive line would be low on my list of needs in the first round.  It'd be nice to draft an interior lineman in the 3rd or 4th round for depth and to develop as a potential future starter

3 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

If we do go need, I 100% back this. With KOC here the defense will most likely still end up being a 3-4 front and will continue too look for a coach that can bring this if we replace our DC.

Agreed.  The front 7 on the defense should be the priority.  I still believe they'll bring back either Hicks or Kendricks and pair one with Asamoah, who is certainly deserving of starting.  But, they certainly do need more talent and depth there, but the biggest priority is the front 3.  Phillips will be back, but there's no guarantee that Tomlinson will be, so there's potentially 2 major holes on the line there.  They still need depth at the corner position, and definitely need a better nickel, but that's a far lower priority than the DL.

Offensively, they will need to look at future QBs, of course, along with depth at WR (certainly not a major priority, but will need to be looked at in the later rounds) as they potentially lose Thielen this year and Osborn after next year, with only Nailor and Jefferson guaranteed to be around after 2023.       

Edited by swede700

4 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Paying Hockenson makes sense. It reduces his cap number next year. Frankly, with a full offseason and season in this offense, he might cost a whole lot more next year.

3 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Paying Hockenson makes sense. It reduces his cap number next year. Frankly, with a full offseason and season in this offense, he might cost a whole lot more next year.

Hockenson is 25, has already shown how good he can be in this offense. He’s the type of player you give 2nd deals to and build the offense around him and jj. 

i had this argument over on the main board, but his athleticism per RAS, is on par with the elite dudes, Kelce, kittle, etc. 

he can ball. I hope he keeps balling with us. Especially when you break in that new qb, to have elite bookends locked up, and your top 1 and 2 options is going to exponentially improve his adjustment period in the nfl. 

• Like 1

Well TE is definitely locked.  Mundt and Smith Jr. have done a pretty decent job since they were put here.  

I’d say Tackle is locked in as well. 

And pretty much every defensive position with players that are over 30 starting, need to be re-evaluated. 

10 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

At this point, isn’t there a need at arguably every position on defense. 

DL and LB group is bad.

Edge is good but there are older and more expensive players and mostly holdovers from a 4-3 style defense. 

CB might be the weakest link unless they can bring back Peterson and Shelley but even then, could use more talent. 

Guess it’s been narrowed down to not needing to draft Safety. 

Edited by vikingsrule

focusing on our pick at 23,

I like the CBs at the top of the draft, but they are still going to want incorporate Booth + Evans into the rotation next year. I imagine they will try and bring one of PP and Shelley back, maybe even both.

I think what this team needs is that big time nose tackle. From seeing him manhandle our interior, a Dexter Lawrence type to plug at NT would sure really improve a lot of aspects of this defense. Maybe Siaki Ika from Baylor, fits that bill?

24 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Vikings don't have too much to work with to improve, lol. 

That's why they have to move down from 23 (24) to try and add at least 1 or 2 picks.  They can probably also use their 3rd or 4th to move down as well...otherwise, it's going to be lots of UDFAs and bargain basement free agents.