2023 Draft Talk

swede700

16 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Jackson was leagues ahead of Richardson. 

Richardson’s tape is that of a day 3 prospect. But he has phenomenal athletic ability, he’s got great size, and he has a very strong arm. He didn’t get a lot of help from Florida’s system, so anyone who drafts him is hoping that he can make developmental leaps like Josh Allen did. But, frankly, Allen showed a lot more ability to play the QB position. 

You mean Richardson isn't going to be starting for the Tampa Bay Bucs like he is in my Madden 23 game?  😉

Edited by swede700

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Yeah he will drop for sure with that injury so he could be on the table potentially 3rd, 4th or 5th round.

I think that is very realistic given the circumstances. I was very intrigued by him pre-injury. I think he would've been an ideal candidate to sit behind Cousins and learn. Think we've got more pressing needs on defense though.

• 1 month later...

But should Minnesota fall short of the Super Bowl yet again this postseason, it may be time to entertain the possibility that Cousins, while above average at the position, isn’t a championship-level signal caller.

Should the front office come to that conclusion, there is value in looking at a young successor late in the first round of the upcoming NFL Draft. A handful of options could be in play there, but the one with the most upside is probably Anthony Richardson out of the University of Florida.

The Vikings make sense as a destination for a player like Richardson. Head coach Kevin O’Connell is one of the more respected offensive minds in the league and comes from the new-school coaching circle of Los Angeles Rams football savant Sean McVay. At 37 years old, O’Connell speaks the language of today’s younger, dual-threat quarterbacks and has a better chance of helping Richardson reach his full potential than most head coaches in the NFL.

Furthermore, Cousins remains under contract through 2023, which affords Richardson a full year to sit on the bench and learn. There is no competition for the spot behind Cousins either, after the Vikings parted ways with Kellen Mond prior to the start of the year.

Cousins, who will be 36 following next season, will likely be looking for a multiyear deal. If Minnesota general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah was inclined to give him one, doing so would have made more sense before extending him on a one-year contract that carries a salary cap hit north of $36 million. In other words, Super Bowl or not, there is a good chance that 2023 is Cousins’ last year in a Vikings uniform, unless he’s willing to take a significant pay cut.

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/anthony-richardson-draft-kirk-cousins-replacement/?fbclid=IwAR3xEy7tWiSTh-cled5WWOjdZ6eIRZWxXTbUdsF6YjkfOpqSFGJK7sZkwRg

Let me first say Kirk has been great this season and believes he will be fine next year. However, we have seen while QB's are playing longer they still having sharp decline in play mid to late 30's. They should take a QB if they feel he can takeover for Kirk down the line. So if Richardson or McKee can be that guy and available take them. Not a fan of Levis but won't hate it. I just don't want the Vikings to wait until Kirk hits that wall then come up with a plan. Ryan, Brees, Rivers, Eli are examples of franchises holding on to expensive QBs who decline and crumble their teams. Chargers are the only team that recovered but had to be bad enough to draft Herbert.  

• Like 2

Even if Kirk is Mr. Durable, I think they should entertain taking a QB at the bottom of the first round, but my first option would be to trade out of the first to get more picks back (which they could certainly use on a QB like a Jaren Hall or McKee as well).  I fully expect that Kirk will be here in 2024 in some manner, so if they don't address the future this draft, they certainly will in 2024.  He'll be 36 then, which is right at precipice of when a lot of good QBs begin to fall off.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Even if Kirk is Mr. Durable, I think they should entertain taking a QB at the bottom of the first round, but my first option would be to trade out of the first to get more picks back (which they could certainly use on a QB like a Jaren Hall or McKee as well).  I fully expect that Kirk will be here in 2024 in some manner, so if they don't address the future this draft, they certainly will in 2024.  He'll be 36 then, which is right at precipice of when a lot of good QBs begin to fall off.

I think in an ideal world, 2023 is the year you draft a successor, and then let them sit all 2023, and take over for Kirk in 2024 when he is a free agent. 

But things ever work out in the ideal so I don't think they'll draft the QB of the future this year.

3 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

I think in an ideal world, 2023 is the year you draft a successor, and then let them sit all 2023, and take over for Kirk in 2024 when he is a free agent. 

But things ever work out in the ideal so I don't think they'll draft the QB of the future this year.

I don't believe they will either, especially because of the lack of picks overall.  They need to bring in young talent in  other places, especially on the defensive side of the ball, so that may push the QB discussion until 2024.  But, they will certainly need to address it in the next 2 years.    

2023’s QB is looking ok, but the 2024 class looks to be much better. 

Unless they are absolutely blown away by a prospect this year, I’d punt on the QB position for one more year. Give Cousins a one year extension to keep him here through 2024, draft the heir apparent in 2024 and let him sit behind Cousins. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

I'm intrigued by Bo Nix in the 24 draft. I think his issues are very correctable (footwork, ball security), and his game looks like it translates to the offense that O'Connell wants to run. 

I don't know anything about the QBs in that draft yet, but why not draft KJ Jefferson? Let's confuse everyone with passes from Jefferson to Jefferson and KJ to KJ?

I think it's time we stop drafting CBs in early rounds and rather look for them in Free Agency or late round draft...I would rather go for DLine than CBs in early rounds. Hit rate among Early Round Defensive Linemen seems to be much higher than Early Round CBs. Talent evaluation and transition to NFL seems to be harder incase of CBs. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, SotanKing said:

I think it's time we stop drafting CBs in early rounds and rather look for them in Free Agency or late round draft...I would rather go for DLine than CBs in early rounds. Hit rate among Early Round Defensive Linemen seems to be much higher than Early Round CBs. Talent evaluation and transition to NFL seems to be harder incase of CBs. 

I think that'll be difficult with Dantzler entering the last year of his deal in 2023 and only Bynum, Evans, and Booth under contract beyond next year.  While they don't have to draft them in the first 2 rounds, I certainly think they are probably going to have to consider them in the mid-rounds and not just late.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1