2023 Draft Talk

swede700

11 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The more pressure you can generate, the easier it is for defensive backs. They drafted Booth and Evans for a reason, and while they may be unknowns, they are no more of an unknown than a late 1st round corner. Let them grow and develop. Building a dominant front line makes their job exponentially easier.

Plus, outside of getting a blue chip prospect in the top 5, the success rate of a late round CB compared to a 2nd or 3rd round CB is roughly the same. While late 1st round d-linemen tend to offer more immediate impact. 

I do think we're going to see Kwesi try and drop back again and recoup the 2nd sent for Hockenson. I wouldn't be shocked if they did that and picked up a corner too.

Would you still want EDGE even though we've got Smith, Hunter, Wonnum and Jones under contract?

3 minutes ago, viking said:

I do think we're going to see Kwesi try and drop back again and recoup the 2nd sent for Hockenson. I wouldn't be shocked if they did that and picked up a corner too.

Would you still want EDGE even though we've got Smith, Hunter, Wonnum and Jones under contract?

I think that would be an option, but primarily I'd imagine they'd work on DL first...both Z and Hunter could potentially be gone after 2023 (as could be Wonnum), so there has to be a calculation on whether to extend 1 or 2 (or all) of them, so they have a little more time on deciding what to do with them and could decide to wait until the 2024 draft to address Edge.  But, if they know they can't extend any of them, then that would move to a higher priority.

11 minutes ago, viking said:

Absolutely. We have seen teams show time and time and time again that a healthy/deep rotation at pass rusher, and defensive line, is one of the most impactful assets that a defense can have. 

• Like 1

One thing I really don't want Kwesi to fall into is this full 110% analytics mode that the Browns have seen themselves fall into. Zero thought into stopping the run and the physical aspect of the game on defense. Their DTs & LBs aren't built to stop the run at all and as a result they're being gashed.

Hopefully we can pick up a great value "big ugly" with the extra 4th rounder we got back from the Lions.

I'm totally oblivious to where the actually talent is in this draft right now but my ideal draft would go like this: A small trade back into the 2nd to recoup some value lost from the Hockenson trade, hit CB & WR early and then in the mid rounds add depth to the trenches.

2 minutes ago, viking said:

I'm totally oblivious to where the actually talent is in this draft right now but my ideal draft would go like this: A small trade back into the 2nd to recoup some value lost from the Hockenson trade, hit CB & WR early and then in the mid rounds add depth to the trenches.

Mine is the inverse. Beef up the line as early as possible and add depth on the outside.

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

Mine is the inverse. Beef up the line as early as possible and add depth on the outside.

O-line & EDGE just seems set for now and I'd be happier to add a value FA DT / rotational edge then I would a value FA WR & CB.

The contracts getting handed out to even average receivers now is getting insane

I don't expect the Vikings to be active in free agency. My guess is that they take this offseason to get the cap smoothed out, and focus on building more flexible assets. I think a lot will depend on how they do in the post season, and whether or not they want to extend Cousins again. 

2 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I don't expect the Vikings to be active in free agency. My guess is that they take this offseason to get the cap smoothed out, and focus on building more flexible assets. I think a lot will depend on how they do in the post season, and whether or not they want to extend Cousins again. 

I'd be shocked if KOC & KAM want to build their legacy any further around Kirk. When his contract is up he'll be entering the age where a lot of QBs start their regresion.

I say attack this 2 year window and if it fails go with the 1st round rookie QB and rebuild with the masses of salary cap the rookie QB contracts free up

I think they will hang on to the known quantity until they can identify the right guy or his play gives them a reason to move on. It's not easy to find a QB, and the chemistry with JJ is obviously a big thing for this iteration of the team. I can definitely see a scenario where Kirk is here for at least 2 more seasons.

Just now, viking said:

I'd be shocked if KOC & KAM want to build their legacy any further around Kirk. When his contract is up he'll be entering the age where a lot of QBs start their regresion.

I say attack this 2 year window and if it fails go with the 1st round rookie QB and rebuild with the masses of salary cap the rookie QB contracts free up

I wouldn't be surprised if they extended him making it essentially a year-to-year contract after next season.  The available cap is going to rebound significantly in 2024 with the new media deal.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

That's a terrible idea when the WR class is going to be significantly weaker than what we've seen the past few years.  If there isn't a QBOTF on the table, I think they have to continue building depth on the defense.  If they can continue to develop some of the receivers (Reagor/Nailor/Osborn) that they already have on the roster, then they'll be fine.

Hey I didn't say it was a great idea. I'm usually anti-round 1 WR anyways!

A DE in a 3-4 isn't all that important right? Bullard and Blackock aren't that good it seems. 

7 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Hey I didn't say it was a great idea. I'm usually anti-round 1 WR anyways!

A DE in a 3-4 isn't all that important right? Bullard and Blackock aren't that good it seems. 

5T is maybe the most important in a 3-4. Think about what JJ Watt was in his prime, or Richard Seymour, and how good Z has been when Tomlinson was playing well before infury. Great 5T defensive ends in a 3-4 make everyone around them better. Same with the NT. IMO it's the biggest weakness on the team right now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

5T is maybe the most important in a 3-4. Think about what JJ Watt was in his prime, or Richard Seymour, and how good Z has been when Tomlinson was playing well before infury. Great 5T defensive ends in a 3-4 make everyone around them better. Same with the NT. IMO it's the biggest weakness on the team right now.

I would still say slot corner or an agile corner is the biggest weakness on the team right now but DE is right there.  I agree it is freaking weak as hell especially if Tomlinson is out and if Phillips has to play NT.  Granted Phillips had maybe his best game last week but of course it was against Buffalo.   Blacklock has been a disappointment no question, Tonga I like as a backup NT, freaking is hell that McGill got hurt, he would have been so fun to watch and could have provided much needed pass rush from that DE spot.  

I also agree in a 3/4 their has been great ones like Watt and Seymour that are game changes.  Same can be said for Cam Heyward on the Steelers, with him and Tuitt they were unstoppable with those two.  Even Suh for a few years on the Bucs was very key, or Hicks on the Bears but most of his greatness was against the Vikings only.  

The Vikings could wait and get a DJ Dale type in the 4th round, or Dante Stills if they want more of a pass rushing 3/4 DE.  So there could be options for NT and especially DE later in the draft.  Heck they could get Byron Young SR DE off Alabama, he was amazing last weekend and is a heck of a pass rusher, just has been inconsistent through his career, but dude was a force last week and could be a steal unless he plays like he did last week over the new few weeks.  

I don't love this group of analysts (besides Mina! she's great), but it does highlight that the NFL is starting to shift back to the running game being important.

Highest yards per carry in NFL history so far
Lowest yards per completion since 1933 (first year of the NFL playoffs)

Guys that can take on blocks, set the line of scrimmage, and make space for linebackers to fill gaps are at a premium right now because the focus has been on pass rush for defensive lineman.

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 1