2023 Draft Talk

swede700

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

According to this the Vikings only have 5 picks.  I did not know Houston and Denver get their later round picks, so that kind of sucks.  Not having that 2nd rounder hurts as well.  

https://www.tankathon.com/nfl/full_draft

This is who I have the Vikings getting at the moment.  

24. Minnesota Vikings: Olusegun Oluwatimi Michigan SR C
88. Minnesota Vikings: Keion White Georgia Tech RS SR DE
119. Minnesota Vikings (via Detroit Lions): Tiawan Mullen Indiana SR CB
159. Minnesota Vikings: Malik Knowles Kansas State RS SR WR
*177. Minnesota Vikings: Cory Durden NC State RS SR DT

If I’m positive about anything, I’m positive Vikings are not drafting a first round center this year. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

If I’m positive about anything, I’m positive Vikings are not drafting a first round center this year. 

And do what instead?  Slot corner potentially I would be ok with.

Some guys are ok with Bradbury, I am not, I would rather pay P. Peterson for another year and not lock up Bradbury long term.  I was on the fence about him when they drafted him and his play over the last four years, not sure there is much to love about it unless one really values an athletic center who can move.  Because honestly I value protection up the middle and not being pushed around at the center spot, Bradbury has got mauled most of his career by bigger stronger guys and Kirk gets killed on the back end because of it.  Sure this year was probably his best season but the offense protected him with the quick passing game and he did miss a ton of time to injury and the backups were not great but not all that different to Bradbury.

I am kind of sick of that and in a great center class, one could argue it is one of the best center classes in years and all the really good ones will be gone by round 3 potentially when the Vikings pick.  Move on and save some money and also probably get a better player in the process.  

13 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

And do what instead?  Slot corner potentially I would be ok with.

Some guys are ok with Bradbury, I am not, I would rather pay P. Peterson for another year and not lock up Bradbury long term.  I was on the fence about him when they drafted him and his play over the last four years, not sure there is much to love about it unless one really values an athletic center who can move.  Because honestly I value protection up the middle and not being pushed around at the center spot, Bradbury has got mauled most of his career by bigger stronger guys and Kirk gets killed on the back end because of it.  Sure this year was probably his best season but the offense protected him with the quick passing game and he did miss a ton of time to injury and the backups were not great but not all that different to Bradbury.

I am kind of sick of that and in a great center class, one could argue it is one of the best center classes in years and all the really good ones will be gone by round 3 potentially when the Vikings pick.  Move on and save some money and also probably get a better player in the process.  

Like you said, it’s a great center class. You can find a good one in the mid rounds. Don’t need to drop a first round pick on a non premium position. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Like you said, it’s a great center class. You can find a good one in the mid rounds. Don’t need to drop a first round pick on a non premium position. 

These guys will all be gone by the 3rd easily, maybe Stromberg and Forsyth will be around but both might not be much better than Bradbury is so if one wants a better center than Bradbury the top four are potentially it.  

Jarrett Patterson Notre Dame RS
Olusegun Oluwatimi Michigan
John Michael Schmitz Minnesota RS
Luke Wypler Ohio State RS SOPH
Ricky Stromberg Arkansas
Alex Forsyth Oregon

If Patterson falls because he runs slow or whatever, the Vikings would be insane not to get him, he could also play either guard spot.  

• Like 1

I like the discussion of drafting a Center, but man, have we been having this discussion too much the past several years.  The Vikings have always done well with centers who are 6' 4" and 315-ish.  5-10 lbs doesn't seem like much, but against NTs and 1-techs, having that extra mass rules.  So Schmitt and the guy from TCU are probably the first two I'd look at.  I could see one being the 3rd Rd pick.  Agree I'd doesn't make sense to reach for one in the first.

Let's see how the All-star games and combine check out . . . I'm looking at tge 1st rounder being defense.  

• Like 1

What kind of WR are we looking for this year?

I'm hoping all the draft pundits are right about some guys dropping and not a lot of WRs going in round 1. 

If we are ever going to trade back in the draft it should be this year.

This cat from UNC, Josh Downs, looks like a lightning rod.

He would be great in the slot and could run wild. 

• Like 1

The Vikings need a true outside receiver. 

Osborn does his most damage out of the slot. Keep him and/or Thielen in the slot. But this team doesn’t have a reliable outside receiver opposite Jefferson, especially if Thielen is gone. 

They need to find that receiver. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ArcticNorseman said:

The Vikes have WRs even of Theilen's a casualty.  

They really don’t. The only WR that they have under contract beyond 2023 is Jalen Nailor. Obviously Jefferson will be another, whether it’s on a new contract or his 5th year option. But Osborn and Reagor will be free agents following 2023. 

Even if you re-sign Jefferson and Osborn, that leaves you with JJ, KJ, and Nailor. The WR room could go from a position of strength to a position of weakness real fast. 

And given the growing cost of even average WRs, drafting receivers who should provide an immediate impact are extremely important.  Especially when you’re a team paying a veteran QB. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

They really don’t. The only WR that they have under contract beyond 2023 is Jalen Nailor. Obviously Jefferson will be another, whether it’s on a new contract or his 5th year option. But Osborn and Reagor will be free agents following 2023. 

Even if you re-sign Jefferson and Osborn, that leaves you with JJ, KJ, and Nailor. The WR room could go from a position of strength to a position of weakness real fast. 

And given the growing cost of even average WRs, drafting receivers who should provide an immediate impact are extremely important.  Especially when you’re a team paying a veteran QB. 

Count me in on wanting a true #2 or 1b to JJ. Give me a receiver that can make the opponents defense pay for doubling or tripling coverage on Jefferson. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

Count me in on wanting a true #2 or 1b to JJ. Give me a receiver that can make the opponents defense pay for doubling or tripling coverage on Jefferson. 

I think jalin Hyatt is an amazing fit next to jj and hock. His ability to threaten vertically is much needed for the Vikings. 

6 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Osborn is fine as a #2, and Nailor might be a find, at least as a deep threat or #4 guy. Reagor is pretty useless on offense.

We might not be as far off as you think.

3 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Osborn is fine as a #2, and Nailor might be a find, at least as a deep threat or #4 guy. Reagor is pretty useless on offense.

We might not be as far off as you think.

I’m sorry but Osborn isn’t fine as a #2. He may be passable, but getting another receiver to keep Osborn as a long(er) term WR3 only makes the offense better and more explosive.