2023 Draft Talk

swede700

Just now, SemperFeist said:

Of course the scheme change didn’t help, but I really wasn’t referring to any of the day 3 players, either. It was standing pat with the four 3rd rounders. 

No one else probably wanted the 3rd rounders either.  🤣

10 minutes ago, swede700 said:

No one else probably wanted the 3rd rounders either.  🤣

here are notable 3rd rounders from that draft

Andre Cisco

Joseph Ossai

Alim McNeil

Milton williams

OSa Odighizuwa

Paulson Adebo

Josh Palmer

Dynami Brown

Kendrick Green

Nico Collins

Spencer Brown

Ben Cleveland

Quinn Meinerz

The last 3, hurt. lol

3 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

here are notable 3rd rounders from that draft

Andre Cisco

Joseph Ossai

Alim McNeil

Milton williams

OSa Odighizuwa

Paulson Adebo

Josh Palmer

Dynami Brown

Kendrick Green

Nico Collins

Spencer Brown

Ben Cleveland

Quinn Meinerz

The last 3, hurt. lol

If those are considered notable, then I guess I don't feel all that bad.

Edited by swede700

1 minute ago, battle2heaven said:

There are starters there. Unlike ours, where 3 are cut already and 1 is a rotational piece.

Cisco

Milton Williams

McNeil

Cleveland

Meinerz 

those are legit starters.

I suppose that's something.  But, based on some data I see, they're easily replaceable starters, outside of maybe Meinerz.    

8 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

So this is my take from the 2021 draft class. You got a cornerstone player out of this draft class at a premium position. Darrisaw is one of the premier young left tackles in this league, freaking homerun A++++ pick.

And then....there's the rest of the draft. Bynum regressed, Patrick Jones looks like a decent rotation guy and probably nothing else.

With the number of picks Rick had, you wish you could get some more starters out of it. That said, you can't have a bad draft when you get one of the best players in the league at their respective position. It's just not possible since elite players are so rare and obscure to draft. 

I would not call that a bad draft, unless things change quickly could argue the 2022 class is worse but a lot of what had to do with injuries.  But having that many players off a class two years ago cut and signed to other rosters is pretty nuts.  7 out of 11 players cut and signed to other rosters two years later, that is crazy.  So the Vikings had depth just not quality depth or starter depth.

But sure the Darrisaw pick helps that entire group as does the fact they at least they got players that contribute and start a little bit.  One of them being a potentially great player but people said the same about Brian O'Neill being this future pro bowler and not sure that has happened quite yet.  Sure got one Pro bowl but not sure he was better this year than last year.  Then you have Matt Kalil who looked like a Hall of Famer early as a rookie then totally crapped out.

8 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

One of them being a potentially great player but people said the same about Brian O'Neill being this future pro bowler and not sure that has happened quite yet.  Sure got one Pro bowl but not sure he was better this year than last year. 

Man, what??

brian O’Neill is one of the premier right tackles in this league. 

Edited by battle2heaven

3 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Man, what??

brian O’Neill is one of the premier right tackles in this league. 

When you said premier right tackles, I would consider that Hall of Fame, and no way to me is he a Hall of Famer unless he plays at a Pro Bowl all Pro level for the next 7 years.  The first two guys on the list Wirfs and Johnson, O'Neill is not even on the same planet as, and I would honestly take probably the top six on this list over O'Neill.  Maybe Moton or Havenstein as well much would be a close call.

Tristan Wirfs
Lane Johnson
Jack Conklin
Elgton Jenkins (even though he is more a guard)
Peni Sewell
Ryan Ramczyk
Taylor Moton
Rob Havenstein
Mike McGlinchey

Then the young guys who could be up and coming at the position.

Evan Neal
Spencer Brown
Abraham Lucas
Austin Jackson

If O'Neill was this great and so was Darrisaw the Vikings would have ran the ball much better this year and not given up nearly as many sacks.  If they say had Wirfs and Trent Williams that would have totally changed the offense completely because those are game changing players.  Not sure O'Neill or Darrisaw are that but we will see.  I would not call them the two most talented young tackles in the league on any one team because O'Neill has been in the league what 5 years?  Not sure I would call that young.  And with their issues at guard at times and especially at center it really hurts the entire unit so hopefully that can change and be improved.  I guess who cares if the tackles hold up on the edge if teams are getting pressure right down the middle while the center gets pushed around by stronger guys.

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

When you said premier right tackles, I would consider that Hall of Fame, and no way to me is he a Hall of Famer unless he plays at a Pro Bowl all Pro level for the next 7 years.  The first two guys on the list Wirfs and Johnson, O'Neill is not even on the same planet as, and I would honestly take probably the top six on this list over O'Neill.  Maybe Moton or Havenstein as well much would be a close call.

Tristan Wirfs
Lane Johnson
Jack Conklin
Elgton Jenkins (even though he is more a guard)
Peni Sewell
Ryan Ramczyk
Taylor Moton
Rob Havenstein
Mike McGlinchey

Then the young guys who could be up and coming at the position.

Evan Neal
Spencer Brown
Abraham Lucas
Austin Jackson

If O'Neill was this great and so was Darrisaw the Vikings would have ran the ball much better this year and not given up nearly as many sacks.  If they say had Wirfs and Trent Williams that would have totally changed the offense completely because those are game changing players.  Not sure O'Neill or Darrisaw are that but we will see.  I would not call them the two most talented young tackles in the league on any one team because O'Neill has been in the league what 5 years?  Not sure I would call that young.  And with their issues at guard at times and especially at center it really hurts the entire unit so hopefully that can change and be improved.  I guess who cares if the tackles hold up on the edge if teams are getting pressure right down the middle while the center gets pushed around by stronger guys.

If you don't think O'Neill is good, I'm not shocked, frankly. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

Semantics, "premier" to me means top 1 or 2 RTs in the NFL. O'Neill is absolutely not the #1 or #2 RT in the NFL, not even close so then I would not call that premier.  Not even sure he is top 5 if one considers the AFC and NFC.  

4 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Love ranking NFL vets in a draft thread

Sorry, I should have said yes every Minnesota Viking player is the best player at their position in the NFL and every move they make in the front office is perfect.  Sorry.  

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

I feel like ozzy has his views from when he reviewed all these guys in college and is just stubborn to look at their nfl performances. 

players get better, players get worse. Players grow, players regress. 

I might take two RTs over O’Neill from that ridiculous list. Doesn’t take away from Brian being one of the best at his position in the nfl. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Sorry, I should have said yes every Minnesota Viking player is the best player at their position in the NFL and every move they make in the front office is perfect.  Sorry.  

No one said that. You could try, even a little, to stay on topic, though. Just a thought.

• Like 3