What went wrong with Sam Darnold last season?

biggie.

On 5/25/2022 at 11:06 AM, vegas492 said:

The real question is how his stats compared to Wilson at the Jets.

I feel like Darnold wasn't all that good to begin with and became more or less shell shocked when a Jet.  Which happens.

And he didn't have the fight in him to get over it and improve.

He won games because his defense and RB were very good for a few games early.  Then the RB got injured and his defense wasn't as good.

In looking at his career stats, he is what he was as a Jet in his final year.

And Wilson's rookie year was worse than Darnold's rookie year as a Jet.

I mean Darnold showed promise as a rookie. He just never progressed after that year. 

27 minutes ago, NewAge said:

I mean Darnold showed promise as a rookie. He just never progressed after that year. 

Not that I watched him, or Wilson at all.

But the stats shake that out.  His rookie year was Darnold's high water mark in the league so far.  And it was better than Wilson's rookie year.

12 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Rhule is on the hotseat more than any coach in the league and I cannot believe he’s ok putting it all on the line with Sam Darnold. He’s just asking to be fired. 

Personally I think the Panthers will trade for Jimmy G, but I still wouldn’t put my job in Jimmy’s hands either. Rhule is a walking deadman. 

The Joe Brady experiment failing hurt him, bad, everyone thought he'd be able to revive Darnold like Smith did with Tannehill in Tennessee.

I could also see the owner being patient because he knows that Rhule's days are numbered. Makes more sense to hire a new GM, HC, and then allow them to draft the QB they want to build around.

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The Joe Brady experiment failing hurt him, bad, everyone thought he'd be able to revive Darnold like Smith did with Tannehill in Tennessee.

I could also see the owner being patient because he knows that Rhule's days are numbered. Makes more sense to hire a new GM, HC, and then allow them to draft the QB they want to build around.

I don't think Joe Brady was the problem. 

2 hours ago, scar988 said:

I don't think Joe Brady was the problem. 

Brady was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread as the next offensive guru in the NFL. Coming into the season a lot of people thought that he could potentially be a head coach this year and he got fired in season by the Panthers last year. Their offense was lackluster in both years that Brady was the OC. All of those LSU guys have been studs without Brady while he hasn't done anything without them.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Brady was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread as the next offensive guru in the NFL. Coming into the season a lot of people thought that he could potentially be a head coach this year and he got fired in season by the Panthers last year. Their offense was lackluster in both years that Brady was the OC. All of those LSU guys have been studs without Brady while he hasn't done anything without them.

Brady maximized the talent he had. In Carolina, there was no talent.