2K22: UDFA

onejayhawk

On 5/26/2022 at 10:58 AM, AkronsWitness said:

Somewhere, Ryan Shazier is screaming at his TV for Justyn Ross not to play football and I find it somewhat irresponsible that nobody close to him has stepped up and shut the idea down yet.

Ross had a congenital spinal issue. It was not and injury it was something he was born with. He had Klippel-Feil syndrom. The connecting made to Shazier is a bit ironic in that the same doctor treated both and recommended Shazier retire and cleared Ross to play.

NFL draft 2022 - Following congenital fusion in his spine, Justyn Ross looks to make NFL history (espn.com)

On 5/26/2022 at 8:58 AM, AkronsWitness said:

Somewhere, Ryan Shazier is screaming at his TV for Justyn Ross not to play football and I find it somewhat irresponsible that nobody close to him has stepped up and shut the idea down yet.

see i dont think Shazier would, because Shazier was relatively healthy before his neck injury. Several doctors have cleared Ross, and told him he has the same risks as any other player. Because any player can take/give a bad hit and paralyze themselves

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Because of COVID, a lot of players are coming into the NFL a little older. That trend should end by 2024.

This is a factor that made evaluating the draft unusually interesting.

For example, the Chiefs' highly regarded draft did not include a 23 year old player unti the 10th and final pick. Of the five premium picks (rounds 1-3), four are age 21. The exception is the least well regarded selection, Bryan Cook, who may well have received a bump for his leadership qualities. In a couple of years, they can espect physical development that other teams will not have. Justyn Ross, the UDFA in OP, is 22. 

It's also worth noting that the NCAA basketball finals had the oldest, most physically mature pair of teams in decades. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chiefer said:

see i dont think Shazier would, because Shazier was relatively healthy before his neck injury. Several doctors have cleared Ross, and told him he has the same risks as any other player. Because any player can take/give a bad hit and paralyze themselves

Haven’t heard that.

Spoiler

Okonkwo felt Ross could play again but his was not the only voice on the subject. Clemson, in collaboration with experienced and globally recognized experts in the field, provided multiple assessments and perspectives of his condition, and then the school hosted a series of meetings to review all of the information, and shared it with Ross and his family. Some of those perspectives included doctors who did not believe Ross should play.

Even Okonkwo didn’t say the risks were the same as anyone else. He (and others) just acknowledged that all athletes understand there’s a risk when they play, whether they have neck/spine surgery or not. 

2 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Haven’t heard that.

Hide contents

Okonkwo felt Ross could play again but his was not the only voice on the subject. Clemson, in collaboration with experienced and globally recognized experts in the field, provided multiple assessments and perspectives of his condition, and then the school hosted a series of meetings to review all of the information, and shared it with Ross and his family. Some of those perspectives included doctors who did not believe Ross should play.

Even Okonkwo didn’t say the risks were the same as anyone else. He (and others) just acknowledged that all athletes understand there’s a risk when they play, whether they have neck/spine surgery or not. 

Exactly, anybody can get paralyzed whether they had spinal fusion surgery or otherwise

if he was was too high risk he wouldnt have been cleared.

34 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Exactly, anybody can get paralyzed whether they had spinal fusion surgery or otherwise

if he was was too high risk he wouldnt have been cleared.

I don’t think the concern is that there’s “too high” a risk, just that there’s already a lot at risk playing football and his previous surgery makes it even riskier. That doesn’t mean everyone’s risk is the same. 

Hopefully the kid stays healthy, that’s got to be a daunting thing to have over your head.

23 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I don’t think the concern is that there’s “too high” a risk, just that there’s already a lot at risk playing football and his previous surgery makes it even riskier. That doesn’t mean everyone’s risk is the same. 

Hopefully the kid stays healthy, that’s got to be a daunting thing to have over your head.

everyone is at a risk of catastrophic spinal or brain injury on any given play in the NFL…just like Justyn Ross!

Edited by Chiefer

9 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

everyone is at a risk of catastrophic spinal or brain injury on any given play in the NFL…just like Justyn Ross!

A risk = / = same risk. See you’re being obtuse about it (not even sure why, over an UDFA) so it is what it is. 

27 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

A risk = / = same risk. See you’re being obtuse about it (not even sure why, over an UDFA) so it is what it is. 

That the risk is essentially equal is exactly what they are saying. While there is difference of opinion, the consensus is that he should be allowed to play.

In this case the UDFA would have likely gone in the 1st or 2nd round had he been fuly healthy.

34 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

That the risk is essentially equal is exactly what they are saying.

It’s not what they’re saying. Nowhere does anyone say his risk is the same mas any other player’s. They’re saying the risk of a Ryan Shazier (or worse) level injury exists for everyone - that’s inherent to the game - but not that the risk of that is the same with Ross as it is all players.

34 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

While there is difference of opinion, the consensus is that he should be allowed to play.

Oh?

On 5/26/2022 at 10:42 AM, onejayhawk said:

I have heard unconfirmed reports that only four teams cleared Ross to practice. The Chiefs were his choice among the four.

We have different definitions of consensus. 

28 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

It’s not what they’re saying. Nowhere does anyone say his risk is the same mas any other player’s. They’re saying the risk of a Ryan Shazier (or worse) level injury exists for everyone - that’s inherent to the game - but not that the risk of that is the same with Ross as it is all players.

Oh?

We have different definitions of consensus. 

You misquote. I stated that the risks were essntially the same which is different from being the same. The distinction is that there may differences but that they are not sufficient to be material. 

He's practicing. If there was a consensus that he should not be allowed to play, then he would not be practicing.

On 5/29/2022 at 12:11 PM, NYJets4716 said:

Didn't Ross have spinal infusion? I am not buying the hype, that is a significant injury. I've seen how a promising WR on the Jets ended his career due to spinal issues. 

I agree, he also had a 2.64 RAS.  

I think the Chiefs have quite a few good WRs in the room, and I don't think Ross makes the cut.  But I have been incorrect before.

15 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I agree, he also had a 2.64 RAS.  

I think the Chiefs have quite a few good WRs in the room, and I don't think Ross makes the cut.  But I have been incorrect before.

I agree the WR room is suddenly well stocked but not that well. 

Hardman, MVS, JuJu, and Skyy account for four spots. That leaves two or three from these names

• Justyn Ross
  • Josh Gordon
  • Daurice Fountain
  • Cornell Powell
  • Justin Watson 
  • Matthew Sexton
  • Omar Bayless
  • Corey Coleman 

One of those names might make the team as a pure ST player. Of the rest, Ross looks as good as anyone else.

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

You misquote. I stated that the risks were essntially the same which is different from being the same. The distinction is that there may differences but that they are not sufficient to be material. 

If you read the quote tree, you’d see the distinction you made is different from the person I was initially responding to. 

In the piece I quoted, Clemson + “multiple experts in the field” offered opinions that Ross should not play anymore. Do you feel the team does this for every player on game day, a sit down with their medical experts about the risks of football? Or do you think that perhaps this was done because, after a beck surgery and spinal issue, that Ross is perhaps at a greater risk than the average player? 

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

He's practicing. If there was a consensus that he should not be allowed to play, then he would not be practicing.

Wrong. According to you, 28/32 said no. The fact that 1 in every 8 teams said yes does not mean that the consensus was yes. The NFL isn’t a medical democracy that votes on player’s individual medical conditions.