Hello? ...anyone there? Defense? Offense?

Mid Iowa

In the last 7 games, all wins, the Saints have outscored their opponents 229 - 100 (38 in the Lions game). That's an average of 32.7 - 14.3
The entire season is 268 - 165 which include the 2 losses to the Vikings and Patriots.

It's not that the offense isn't impressive, it certainly is. It's what this defense has done. It's sexy, it's complimentary, it's deep, and it's working!

Take away the first 2 games, this defense is far and away the #1 defense in the league, and they're not slowing down. In fact, I'd argue that they're learning and getting better each week.

The Saints didn't surprise the Bills. There were 6 wins and 2 losses for the Bills to study to try to figure out how to stop the Saints. On the Saints end, the Bills had 5 wins & 3 losses to study. Victory to the Saints, and the Bills had 10 days to rest and study and figure it out. Results... domination!!

So what's different this season?
Attitude - Sean Payton has a history of bickering with coaches on the sidelines. We all remember the embarrassment of him and Rob Ryan both looking like they didn't know what's going on, and even 1 attempt this season by Adrian Peterson, and we all know how that ended up.

Payton looks confident. His play calling is able to be competitive now with a stable of talented running backs, and a slew of receivers that will go up and grab just about anything.

With a defense that is off the field more than they're on, combined with an offense able to sustain drives and put points on the board, this team has become balanced and can remain fresh throughout the game.

Denis Allen love his job. How couldn't he with this group of players. All he needs is a solid linebacker, and a complimentary edge rusher for Cam Jordan.

Struck Gold - We have 4 rookies contributing at a very high level. That's unheard of and it was absolutely needed, but the fact of the matter is the Saints addressed our issues, and some of that Gold was the scouting department. Enter Jeff Ireland. Ireland helped build the Cowboys to a 13-3 team in 2007 in just 3 seasons, including an overlap with Sean Payton in 2005. Ireland's recruits comprised 38 of the 53 man roster that year. 
How fitting that Ireland, the kicking ginger, is the pot of gold at the end of the Saints rainbow looking losing streak.

Marshon Lattimore is a true shutdown corner and is covering the opponents best players, week after week. He is still ranked as the #1 corner in the league, and he's forgotten what "rookie" means.

Alvin Kamara is a walking highlight reel. You'd think an opposing defense would get rest from the run once Ingram came off the field. Not so much, in fact, just the opposite. In his games with 10 or more rushing attempts, he's averaging 7.7 yards per carry (6.5 overall). You just can't defend that. And if he doesn't run it, well, he's going to light it up with his 8.7 yards per reception.
Prior to the Bills game, Kamara forced 17 missed tackles (on 90 touches) and 3.52 yards after contact. He's always going forward.

Ryan Ramczyk, the controversial, non-sexy pick is pretty dang sexy now, and it turns out he was sorely needed. He has started all 9 games so far, and has been solid, and a solid replacement for missing Zack Streif. Not bad for a "C+" draft rating.

Marcus Williams has been a solid contributor as well, though not quite like the 3 above. 

Emergence - A few players have come on strong.
Brandon Coleman is looking to be a tall producer. A bit of a combination of Marques Colston and Jimmy Graham. He's got height, really good hands, and he has speed. In his 3rd season, he's showing he knows the routes, and Brees clearly trusts him now. 

Mark Ingram is on pace for his best season, and is now in solid control of Bell Cow status. In games 1 & 2 with a crowded backfield, he had just 14 total carries. Since then, 130 (18+ per game). Payton obviously trusts Ingram, and Ingram is for real.

Sheldon Rankins showed another step in his study this week when he dropped back in coverage when the Bills' TE's came off blocks. This is a new twist and likely came as a result of some deficiencies in the linebacking personnel, especially with AJ Klein on the sidelines. This drop back sure worked as Rankins nearly scored on his first ever INT.

So the question is, who can stop this team? What offense can out perform this defense, and what defense can slow down this 11 headed offense? Anyone?

One player not getting enough love is Alex Oakfor... Oakfor has been really coming on in the pass rush and hes been a stout run defender all season. Hes given this defense a viable complment to Jordan and Trey Hendrickson has been flashing as a quality reserve player in that 3 man rotation. This is a group I feel will only get better as the season progresses.

To go along with Okafor who worm mentioned and I was going to as well, but Ted Ginn Jr has played really well for us and has really helped to ease the lose of Cooks as a deep threat, though we haven't needed/tried going deep often, when we have Ginn has been more than productive for us and even his running of the deep routes has still kept the short and intermediate passing games open.

Klein Okafor and Ginn have been the total opposite of the issues we’ve had for years of overpaying guys from another team to come be the answer. They were found in the 2nd or 3rd tier of FA’s but their salaries were in the 2nd or 3rd tier as well. Not like a Byrd, Fleener, etc. These guys have been true difference makers and haven’t costed nearly what we’ve paid for far lesser players in the past.

31 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Klein Okafor and Ginn have been the total opposite of the issues we’ve had for years of overpaying guys from another team to come be the answer. They were found in the 2nd or 3rd tier of FA’s but their salaries were in the 2nd or 3rd tier as well. Not like a Byrd, Fleener, etc. These guys have been true difference makers and haven’t costed nearly what we’ve paid for far lesser players in the past.

Speaking of Klein.....Has anyone heard anything on his injury?

I really hope we're able to keep Jeff Ireland. I read somewhere that he is in the last year of his contract. He has really put together a few solid drafts for the Saints and seems like a very important piece to our front office.

5 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

One player not getting enough love is Alex Oakfor... Oakfor has been really coming on in the pass rush and hes been a stout run defender all season. Hes given this defense a viable complment to Jordan and Trey Hendrickson has been flashing as a quality reserve player in that 3 man rotation. This is a group I feel will only get better as the season progresses.

I really like what Okafor is is doing, too. In fact, that long run early by McCoy was held to (just) 36 yards because Okafor did his job, contain. He could have lost his position and gone inside for the tackle, and McCoy would have bounced outside for an even better run, perhaps score. But Okafor held his ground, forced McCoy inside, and that allowed safety help sooner rather than later.

He's coming on nicely!

4 hours ago, Raves said:

To go along with Okafor who worm mentioned and I was going to as well, but Ted Ginn Jr has played really well for us and has really helped to ease the lose of Cooks as a deep threat, though we haven't needed/tried going deep often, when we have Ginn has been more than productive for us and even his running of the deep routes has still kept the short and intermediate passing games open.

I didn't throw Ginn in there because he's doing what he's supposed to do, and on pace for a very good year, possibly his best personally. But he's not "emerging". They also need to get him out of returns. He's not a good return man.

Perhaps I should have had 2 "Struck Gold" sections - one for the Draft, and one for Free Agency. Ginn, Klein, and Warford have all been great pickups, and even Te'o filled in nicely for Klein.

19 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

I really hope we're able to keep Jeff Ireland. I read somewhere that he is in the last year of his contract. He has really put together a few solid drafts for the Saints and seems like a very important piece to our front office.

If we don't find a way to re-sign Ireland, then I will call for Loomis' head immediately!! Ireland is also assistant GM, so not just in charge of college scouting. I hope they realize he is a value, and pay him appropriately. He clearly deserves it.

2017 - Lattimore, Ramczyk, Marcus Williams, Kamara, Anzalone, Hendrickson <<< WOW!!!! All contributors!

2016 - Sheldon Rankins, Michael Thomas, Vonn Bell << All contributors

2016 & 2017 alone are worth a raise and extension!

2 hours ago, JMG5 said:

Unless Jeff gets a GM job somewhere, hes gonna get an extention here. This front office understands the job hes done.

7 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Ireland will get a GM job after this turnaround. It’s gonna be here, with Mickey stepping into a more hands off role, IMO

I hope we can keep him. I doubt anyone tries to get Dennis Allen, but even if they do I think Nolan could step in and still do a fine job.

7 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

@whodatworm23 Ireland will get a GM job after this turnaround. It’s gonna be here, with Mickey stepping into a more hands off role, IMO

That would be best case scenario, and one I'd be all for. Even though he did a very mediocre job for the Fins, the core in NOLA is set for success. Basically, here, don't screw it up.

7 hours ago, JMG5 said:

I hope we can keep him. I doubt anyone tries to get Dennis Allen, but even if they do I think Nolan could step in and still do a fine job.

Dennis Allen was a train wreck in Oakland and he came back to us for a reason. Perhaps he needs some time to figure out the top position before he tries again.

And who knows, maybe he likes being a DC. Look at **** LeBeau, life long defensive coach/coordinator, and really good at it. So he stayed put.

(Edit) This makes me laugh. We're so sensitive these ^^^ days, "Richard" LeBeau's name is sensored. 

8 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

@whodatworm23 Ireland will get a GM job after this turnaround. It’s gonna be here, with Mickey stepping into a more hands off role, IMO

The issue there is that Jeff really burned a lot of bridges in Miami and to a point ruined his reputation. Yes hes rebuilt himself here in his role with the Saints but most around the NFL understand that Jeff is a top scout with an eye for talent. Hes in his element here and I still doubt another club gives him the keys to the kingdom (including the Saints). Mickey aint going anywhere and isnt giving up any power... At the end of the day i see Jeff getting an extention to continue doing the same job hes been doing... Just at a higher pay rate.

Archived