NBA Offseason Thread: Durant will remain in Brooklyn

NYRaider

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Sources say the Cavs are still hopeful and optimistic about a Collin Sexton deal. Both sides want a deal — at the right price. There’s not only been positive recent dialogue but potential Sexton suitors continue to dwindle, with few cap-space teams capable of giving him the lucrative offer he covets and one the Cavs wouldn’t want to match. In many ways, Sexton’s situation has played out exactly how the Cavs anticipated, validating their belief about restricted free agency being advantageous and the market being in their favor, especially with Sexton coming off an 11-game season and significant meniscus tear. ‘He has no market,’ an opposing executive told cleveland.com.

– via Chris Fedor @ Cleveland Plain Dealer

His deal remains fascinating. He turned down 100M last year because he wanted to prove he was a 120M+ level player coming off his 24/3/4 season. Problem is he was out for the year.

Like Fedor mentioned, the Cavs are in a great spot with this to potentially get a very important piece for below market value. Last I heard the Cavs were in the 14M price range and his camp is still trying to angle for 20M. The kicker is that the Cavs currently have 16M in cap space before dipping into the luxury tax. Seems like a middle ground of 16M per year is the meeting point.

You lock Sexton up for 4/64 when a guy who he compares a lot to (Brunson) just got paid 4/104 and you have yourself a helluva good deal.

The key for CLE is to lock him up at a reasonable price so that if he end up not fitting with Garland, he still has a movable contract in trades. Dont overpay a guy and not be able to trade him later if everyone is still unsure about the fit and his role. Learn from the Kevin Love contract that has kept them in cap hell for the past 2-3 years.

Edited by AkronsWitness

2 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

Isn’t that why the Lakers will end up giving Brooklyn what they want?  They need his bird rights…

They need to try and salvage the final season they have LeBron under contract. 

2 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

Isn’t that why the Lakers will end up giving Brooklyn what they want?  They need his bird rights…

No.  Kyrie Irving needs the Lakers to have his Bird Rights if he wants to maximize his potential earnings.  Lakers actually save money if they don't have his Bird Rights.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

No.  Kyrie Irving needs the Lakers to have his Bird Rights if he wants to maximize his potential earnings.  Lakers actually save money if they don't have his Bird Rights.

Look at my Jazz trade

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

With the Spurs reportedly willing to take on Westbrook's contract for picks, Kyrie should've just opted out.

Don't think they would have enough cap space to sign Kyrie Irving to his max deal.  And if San Antonio is eating Westbrook, then I think Brooklyn isn't going to be the one getting picks in return.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Don't think they would have enough cap space to sign Kyrie Irving to his max deal.  And if San Antonio is eating Westbrook, then I think Brooklyn isn't going to be the one getting picks in return.

Who? So the Nets would just be giving Kyrie Irving's expiring deal up to avoid taking on Westbrook's expiring deal just to help the Lakers?

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Who? So the Nets would just be giving Kyrie Irving's expiring deal up to avoid taking on Westbrook's expiring deal just to help the Lakers?

Without taking back bad, long-term money I just don't see a market for Kyrie Irving.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Without taking back bad, long-term money I just don't see a market for Kyrie Irving.

Then I don't see the Nets motivation to trade him. Especially considering that Durant's market is dwindling and the Suns essentially have 2 days to close on a deal or they're out of it. I don't see any scenario that they trade Kyrie (who hasn't demanded out) before they trade Durant because if they can't get a package they want for Durant, I'm assuming they'll just run it back next year.

22 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Then I don't see the Nets motivation to trade him. Especially considering that Durant's market is dwindling and the Suns essentially have 2 days to close on a deal or they're out of it. I don't see any scenario that they trade Kyrie (who hasn't demanded out) before they trade Durant because if they can't get a package they want for Durant, I'm assuming they'll just run it back next year.

I would agree.  Kyrie Irving has pretty much all but officially said he wanted out.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I would agree.  Kyrie Irving has pretty much all but officially said he wanted out.

The Nets have leverage especially since the Lakers are the only viable option and they can't offer anything other than an expiring deal back that also requires the Nets to include Joe Harris or Seth Curry.