NBA Offseason Thread: Durant will remain in Brooklyn

NYRaider

Just now, NYRaider said:

An All Star veteran PG, lulz. Twinning 35 games must be fun. 

35 year old Mike Conley, coming off maybe the beginning of his fast decline, is going to improve that? Especially giving up Kuzma? lulz. 

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

35 year old Mike Conley, coming off maybe the beginning of his fast decline, is going to improve that? Especially giving up Kuzma? lulz. 

Conley was an All Star in 2021 and averaged 14/5 last season while being like the 3rd best off the bounce 3P shooter in the NBA. Royce is one of the better 3&D role players in the NBA. 

But committing like $450M to Beal, Kuzma, and KP definitely seems like the road to prosperity. 

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Are you surprised?

Meh not really. I don’t think Philly is interested in reuniting Harden/Kyrie. The Clippers and Mavericks would both have to give up significant depth to land hmm. 

the only two teams that seem realistic to me are the Heat and Lakers. The Heat can potentially add him by moving off of Lowry/Robinson and the Lakers can potentially add him while moving off of Westbrook. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Meh not really. I don’t think Philly is interested in reuniting Harden/Kyrie. The Clippers and Mavericks would both have to give up significant depth to land hmm. 

the only two teams that seem realistic to me are the Heat and Lakers. The Heat can potentially add him by moving off of Lowry/Robinson and the Lakers can potentially add him while moving off of Westbrook. 

Legitimately not even trying to be a homer here, I think there are only 3 franchises who might feel the risk is worth the reward.  As it's been discussed ad nauseam, the Lakers are an obvious one.  They've got a MASSIVE expiring contract in Russell Westbrook, the obvious ties to LeBron James during their times in Cleveland, and the Lakers' history of willing to cater to their stars' demands whether that be LeBron, Kobe, etc.  The Knicks are desperate to add a star.  The last star they had was Carmelo Anthony, and they haven't done much since then in the way of adding superstar talent.  I'm mildly surprised they're more interested in Jalen Brunson, but there's less inherent risk involved with him then there is with Kyrie Irving.  As for Miami, I've speculated that they would prefer Kevin Durant.  They've got a .604 winning percentage over the last 3 years, which coincides with when Jimmy Butler signed with Miami.  Does Miami potentially risk breaking that chemistry that they've built for Kyrie Irving?  I'm not entirely sure they are.  And more importantly, what do the Heat offer the Nets for Kyrie?  Jimmy Butler and Bam Adebayo are clearly off-limits in any Kyrie trade for obvious reasons.  Kyle Lowry almost certainly needs to be dealt to Brooklyn as salary ballast, but the Nets need to take on an additional ~$1.4M which could be Max Strus, Gabe Vincent, Omer Yurtseven, or Marcus Garrett I believe.  The Nets would save just under $7M, but they'd likely want picks added.  If they think Kyle Lowry can help rebuild the relationship with Kevin Durant, then maybe that'd work.  But if Durant is sniffing around, I'm not sure they want to sit on Lowry's deal.

17 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Conley was an All Star in 2021 and averaged 14/5 last season while being like the 3rd best off the bounce 3P shooter in the NBA. Royce is one of the better 3&D role players in the NBA. 

But committing like $450M to Beal, Kuzma, and KP definitely seems like the road to prosperity. 

Neither option is. Wizards are a .400 club into perpetuity. Why would Conley help anything? Maybe a 1 year gain for what? 

16 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Philly should try and swap Kyrie for Harden.  Admit they got the wrong one and try again.  KD and Harden with Ben would be fine.  

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Legitimately not even trying to be a homer here, I think there are only 3 franchises who might feel the risk is worth the reward.  As it's been discussed ad nauseam, the Lakers are an obvious one.  They've got a MASSIVE expiring contract in Russell Westbrook, the obvious ties to LeBron James during their times in Cleveland, and the Lakers' history of willing to cater to their stars' demands whether that be LeBron, Kobe, etc.  The Knicks are desperate to add a star.  The last star they had was Carmelo Anthony, and they haven't done much since then in the way of adding superstar talent.  I'm mildly surprised they're more interested in Jalen Brunson, but there's less inherent risk involved with him then there is with Kyrie Irving.  As for Miami, I've speculated that they would prefer Kevin Durant.  They've got a .604 winning percentage over the last 3 years, which coincides with when Jimmy Butler signed with Miami.  Does Miami potentially risk breaking that chemistry that they've built for Kyrie Irving?  I'm not entirely sure they are.  And more importantly, what do the Heat offer the Nets for Kyrie?  Jimmy Butler and Bam Adebayo are clearly off-limits in any Kyrie trade for obvious reasons.  Kyle Lowry almost certainly needs to be dealt to Brooklyn as salary ballast, but the Nets need to take on an additional ~$1.4M which could be Max Strus, Gabe Vincent, Omer Yurtseven, or Marcus Garrett I believe.  The Nets would save just under $7M, but they'd likely want picks added.  If they think Kyle Lowry can help rebuild the relationship with Kevin Durant, then maybe that'd work.  But if Durant is sniffing around, I'm not sure they want to sit on Lowry's deal.

The two most likely deals for Kyrie, imo...

Deal 1

Lakers receive: Kyrie Irving

Hornets receive: Russell Westbrook, 2026 1st (LAL), 2028 pick swap (LAL)

Nets receive: Gordon Hayward, Mason Plumlee 

The Lakers get the third star to pair with LeBron/AD to make a run in LeBron's final contract year. It's risky for the Lakers because Kyrie could potentially bolt after the season but he definitely helps them more than Westbrook does and I think the Lakers could convince some solid vets to come on the min with that Big 3.

This move brings the Hornets $38M under the luxury tax apron so they'd be able to match a max offer sheet on Bridges, have access to the full MLE, plus they free up $47M in cap space next summer. Overall though I think the 2026/2028 picks are the most valuable asset they'd be getting back as the Lakers could suck at that point. 

The Nets get a cheap veteran replacement for Nic Claxton who they apparently don't want to match an MLE offer sheet on. And they get another versatile forward to pair with Simmons, Harris, and Durant. Hayward has injury concerns but a roster built around those 4, if healthy, certainly can matchup with almost anyone in the playoffs. 

--------------------------------

Deal 2

Nets receive: Kyle Lowry, Duncan Robinson

Heat receive: Kyrie Irving, Seth Curry

The Heat get Kyrie to pair with Bam/Jimmy, it's risky but they haven't been able to get over the top and they'd be adding the second legitimate scorer that they've lacked in the playoffs. The Nets receive a veteran PG with championship shooter and one of the best shooting wings in the NBA in return, possibly some draft capital as well.

8 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Neither option is. Wizards are a .400 club into perpetuity. Why would Conley help anything? Maybe a 1 year gain for what? 

A 1-2 year gain to keep Bradley Beal happy since you're ready to commit a quarter billion to him.

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Philly should try and swap Kyrie for Harden.  Admit they got the wrong one and try again.  KD and Harden with Ben would be fine.  

Kyrie/Maxey would be one of the smallest backcourts in the NBA and would get cooked defensively. I can't see Philly adding another small guard after they just moved Green for Melton. And wasn't one of the main reasons Harden was dealt because he and KD don't get along? 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The two most likely deals for Kyrie, imo...

Deal 1

Lakers receive: Kyrie Irving

Hornets receive: Russell Westbrook, 2026 1st (LAL), 2028 pick swap (LAL)

Nets receive: Gordon Hayward, Mason Plumlee 

The Lakers get the third star to pair with LeBron/AD to make a run in LeBron's final contract year. It's risky for the Lakers because Kyrie could potentially bolt after the season but he definitely helps them more than Westbrook does and I think the Lakers could convince some solid vets to come on the min with that Big 3.

This move brings the Hornets $38M under the luxury tax apron so they'd be able to match a max offer sheet on Bridges, have access to the full MLE, plus they free up $47M in cap space next summer. Overall though I think the 2026/2028 picks are the most valuable asset they'd be getting back as the Lakers could suck at that point. 

The Nets get a cheap veteran replacement for Nic Claxton who they apparently don't want to match an MLE offer sheet on. And they get another versatile forward to pair with Simmons, Harris, and Durant. Hayward has injury concerns but a roster built around those 4, if healthy, certainly can matchup with almost anyone in the playoffs. 

--------------------------------

Deal 2

Nets receive: Kyle Lowry, Duncan Robinson

Heat receive: Kyrie Irving, Seth Curry

The Heat get Kyrie to pair with Bam/Jimmy, it's risky but they haven't been able to get over the top and they'd be adding the second legitimate scorer that they've lacked in the playoffs. The Nets receive a veteran PG with championship shooter and one of the best shooting wings in the NBA in return, possibly some draft capital as well.

Deal 1, The Hornets are getting off pretty easy IMO.  Being able to clear the space to keep Bridges and get 1sts?  Seems like the picks are a little much and maybe should go to the Nets or just not be included. 

The second, that Duncan Robinson contract is going to be stuck in Miami for a while.  He was benched because he is such a bad defender when they needed help scoring.  No way the Nets downgrade from Kyrie and have to take on that contract while also losing Seth.  I think a Herro/Lowry deal makes more sense for both sides. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Kyrie/Maxey would be one of the smallest backcourts in the NBA and would get cooked defensively. I can't see Philly adding another small guard after they just moved Green for Melton. And wasn't one of the main reasons Harden was dealt because he and KD don't get along? 

I thought Harden was dealt because he didnt get along with Kyrie. 

And Kyrie or Harden back there, neither play defense so why does that really matter?  

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Deal 1

Don't think Brooklyn is going to be fond on taking back Gordon Hayward's contract given his injury history, plus the Hornets walking away with undoing their Hayward signing and getting 2 picks in return seems just as unlikely.  Eric Pincus (a Lakers' writer and one of the better CBA guys I've seen) suggested a Lakers/Thunder/Nets trade, but it comes under the assumption that Brooklyn has the same realization that they did with James Harden, and they're better off getting something than risk losing everything.  Until July 1st, the Thunder still have ~$31.8M in cap space to use so they could deal ~$12.5M in salary to the Nets.  Obviously, Westbrook would get bought out and picks would exchange hands.

Lakers Get: PG Kyrie Irving
Nets Get: C Derrick Favors, Other Salary Filler
Thunder Get: PG Russell Westbrook

Lakers would probably be using all picks available to get that deal done.

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

Deal 1, The Hornets are getting off pretty easy IMO.  Being able to clear the space to keep Bridges and get 1sts?  Seems like the picks are a little much and maybe should go to the Nets or just not be included. 

The second, that Duncan Robinson contract is going to be stuck in Miami for a while.  He was benched because he is such a bad defender when they needed help scoring.  No way the Nets downgrade from Kyrie and have to take on that contract while also losing Seth.  I think a Herro/Lowry deal makes more sense for both sides. 

What motivation do the Hornets have to take back Westbrook's deal if they're not receiving draft capital? Hayward is still very good and he only has 2 years left on his deal so he becomes a very valuable trade asset next offseason either way. 

A Herro/Lowry deal works as well financially but I don't think the Heat would include reigning 6th MOY and Lowry for Kyrie. Duncan's playing time diminished in the playoffs last year but he was a key piece on their finals team a couple of years ago and it's not like Curry, Herro, or Kyrie are exactly plus defenders. 

The key thing to remember here is that Kyrie has leverage over the Nets. If he opts in then demands a trade they're going to sell him for pennies on the dollar because there's always the chance that he just walks in free agency next summer.

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Deal 2

The Nets are sending out ~$45.4M and receiving back $45.2M.  So the luxury tax bill is still going to be massively high, and they're getting worse players with bigger injury concerns.  I don't see how the Heat get to pawn off Duncan Robinson's contract unless Brooklyn wants him.