NBA Offseason Thread: Durant will remain in Brooklyn

NYRaider

Just now, CWood21 said:

Except the Knicks wanted cap flexibility too.  They want to add Jalen Brunson to their roster.  And the Hornets are not S&Ting Bridges.

The Knicks didn't have to be involved in the deal the Hornets could've packaged #13 and a player for salary relief without including a third team. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

The Knicks didn't have to be involved in the deal the Hornets could've packaged #13 and a player for salary relief without including a third team. 

Again, goes back to the point I had.  There's a finite amount of teams that HAD cap flexibility to take on Oubre and/or Plumlee and get the 13th pick in return, and the Hornets chose not to do that deal.  So clearly they value draft capital over cap flexibility.  In that hypothetical Lakers/Hornets trade (Westbrook for Rozier/Hayward), they aren't giving up draft capital and they get cap flexibility in return.

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Miles Bridges is a combo forward, he's 6'7" 230, lol. LaMelo is also 6'7" which is why they've been able to play Rozier/Ball together. I've literally never heard anyone refer to Bridges as a guard.

When did I suggest that Bridges was a guard?  I just don't like Terry Rozier defensively next to LaMelo Ball.  I'd prefer more of a 3&D guard that can play against the quicker guards in the league.  Let Melo play against the "worse" guard so he can conserve his energy for the offensive end.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Again, goes back to the point I had.  There's a finite amount of teams that HAD cap flexibility to take on Oubre and/or Plumlee and get the 13th pick in return, and the Hornets chose not to do that deal.  So clearly they value draft capital over cap flexibility.  In that hypothetical Lakers/Hornets trade (Westbrook for Rozier/Hayward), they aren't giving up draft capital and they get cap flexibility in return.

They traded away the 13th pick for the Bucks 1st round pick in 2025. I don't think they have value the 28th pick in 3 years super highly. They also get significantly worse next season so they'd basically be tanking a year for cap space.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

When did I suggest that Bridges was a guard? 

20 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

LaMelo Ball is a budding star, and Bridges is his backcourt mate.  

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That was in reference to Rozier.  Unless you think that the Hornets can play a backcourt of Rozier, Ball, and Bridges together.

You called Bridges a guard twice here.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

You called Bridges a guard twice here.

You can be a WING and still be a backcourt mate.  Would you not consider Kevin Durant to be a backcourt mate with Kyrie Irving?  The primary ball handler on Charlotte is LaMelo Ball.  The secondary one is Terry Rozier.  But if they moved on from Rozier, would you not expect that Bridges would be used more as a ball handler?

You can be a WING and still be a backcourt mate.  Would you not consider Kevin Durant to be a backcourt mate with Kyrie Irving?  The primary ball handler on Charlotte is LaMelo Ball.  The secondary one is Terry Rozier.  But if they moved on from Rozier, would you not expect that Bridges would be used more as a ball handler?

I wouldn't call a guy that plays primarily at the 3/4 a backcourt player. He'd definitely get more touches without Rozier and Hayward but if they're replacing them with Westbrook then they'd essentially be committing to tanking next season. 

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I wouldn't call a guy that plays primarily at the 3/4 a backcourt player. He'd definitely get more touches without Rozier and Hayward but if they're replacing them with Westbrook then they'd essentially be committing to tanking next season. 

I wouldn't really consider Bridges a 4 unless you're committed to playing small.

Just now, CWood21 said:

I wouldn't really consider Bridges a 4 unless you're committed to playing small.

He's a combo forward, he's 6'7" 230, he's definitely a lot closer to a 4 then he is to a 2 and played at the 4 for stretches last year, he has literally never played the 2 in his entire career.

And for the record, I don't think Kyrie will be a Laker.  I think he's using this as leverage to get his max deal, which I expect the Nets to cave on.

Me either, there's way too many moving pieces because the Lakers have to find someone that can take Russ and provide something that Brooklyn wants.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Me either, there's way too many moving pieces because the Lakers have to find someone that can take Russ and provide something that Brooklyn wants.

If it was anyone but Kyrie, I would say not a snowball's chance in hell of him opting out and signing for the tMLE.  Lakers have significant cap flexibility next offseason.