2023 NBA Draft Discussion Thread

Texansfan713

I don't watch any NCAA basketball, and last year I made the mistake of listening to general consensus when reviewing the Nuggets draft. 

"Christian Braun ?!??!?!?!? No upside and he's 21 already!!"

"Peyton Watson ?!?!?!?!?!? 3 PPG and can't shoot!! 

Outside of Walker Kessler, I don't know if I would change either of those picks. Braun was a serious playoff contributor on a championship team, and Watson displayed some elite level defensive traits in (limited) minutes late last season.

So, I'm willing to give Calvin Booth the benefit of the doubt no matter what people are saying on the Nuggets picks (pretty positive from what I can see?)

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I don't watch any NCAA basketball, and last year I made the mistake of listening to general consensus when reviewing the Nuggets draft. 

"Christian Braun ?!??!?!?!? No upside and he's 21 already!!"

"Peyton Watson ?!?!?!?!?!? 3 PPG and can't shoot!! 

Outside of Walker Kessler, I don't know if I would change either of those picks. Braun was a serious playoff contributor on a championship team, and Watson displayed some elite level defensive traits in (limited) minutes late last season.

So, I'm willing to give Calvin Booth the benefit of the doubt no matter what people are saying on the Nuggets picks (pretty positive from what I can see?)

I think the problem for people analyzing is they have to look for super stars and they knock any pick that doesn't have that potential.  Braun will never likely be a top 3-5 man on a championship team which is why he got knocked so much, but he is a great bench scorer and came into a situation in which he was mature enough to impact the team early in that role.  Similarly with Watson, they got a high upside kid who has some elite skills, he just has to put them together and the team has the ability to wait and see with him. The Nuggets went for more of the seasoned players this year that can help more right away as they will lose some depth most likely.  They got some solid shooters which is a good move but again I don't see any of these guys becoming stars, although I didn't expect Brunson to either. 

Some of those picks this year for I really liked are O-Max Prosper and Keyonte Johnson. 

O-Max is perfect for Dallas IMO and replaces some of what they lost in the Kyrie trade last year in DFS.  His upside isnt star level but a very good role player that works along side Luka and Kyrie and plays defense. 

Keyonte Johnson is brings some maturity to an already young team.   There are 9 guys on OKC's roster younger than him but he has upside as a very good defender without being a liability on the offensive end while being more mature than another 18 year old.  The Thunder are ready to take of in getting Chet back this year with SGA's growth so I think adding a strong seasoned player like him was wise and will pay dividends.    

• Like 1