UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

1 minute ago, G08 said:

Communication shuts off at 15 seconds, so he's actually getting the answers well before that. It's why they have one word concepts like Tupac (loved that they used that) which tells everyone their assignment. It's pretty awesome to see and well executed, but it's a gimmick.

And yeah I'd love to have Trubisky do that, but it's the NFL man, teams will adjust at some point.

Of course teams will adjust but that doesn't mean we can't...there is no perfect candidate out there but we need to put our faith in someone to be able to continue to be innovative.

11 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I mean there's a chance he could bring DeFillipo. There is a semi connection there with knowing Doug Pederson.

I like Toub but I don't think he ends up in Chicago. Bears hiring him would tell me that Pace isn't really in charge and I think I'd much rather them hire an offensive HC to pair with MT10.

My money is on Toub to Indi.

An issue with Toub in Chicago would be expectations. Hire him here and we’d immediately see nonstop Ditka comparisons. In Indi, he’d be free and easy just to do his thing.

1 minute ago, IronMike84 said:

My money is on Toub to Indi.

An issue with Toub in Chicago would be expectations. Hire him here and we’d immediately see nonstop Ditka comparisons. In Indi, he’d be free and easy just to do his thing.

Chris Ballard clearly really wants him...Irsay on the other hand might want to make a splash.

11 hours ago, G08 said:

Communication shuts off at 15 seconds, so he's actually getting the answers well before that. It's why they have one word concepts like Tupac (loved that they used that) which tells everyone their assignment. It's pretty awesome to see and well executed, but it's a gimmick.

And yeah I'd love to have Trubisky do that, but it's the NFL man, teams will adjust at some point.

It’s not at all a gimmick. It’s a feature of the Erhardt-Perkins system, which is pretty widely-used. Rather than using the long WCO verbiage or a numbering system, it uses route concepts, just like you said. Those route concepts can be codenamed to use in the huddle or even at the line.

So if the defense is showing Cover 3 and the QB wants to run a Smash concept against it, maybe the term the offense is using for smash is “REO Speedwagon.” That can be be called out at the line, the receivers know the concept is Smash, and the defense shouldn’t know what it means.

18 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Chris Ballard clearly really wants him...Irsay on the other hand might want to make a splash.

Man...I just hate it when owners meddle in coaching decisions.  Either you hire the coach and let him pick his own GM or you hire a GM and let him pick his own coach.  None of this telling the GM who to hire like the Bears apparently did with Fox to Pace.

I think Toub is long overdue for a HC job and Indy would be a fantastic fit for him.

11 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

It’s not at all a gimmick. It’s a feature of the Erhardt-Perkins system, which is pretty widely-used. Rather than using the long WCO verbiage or a numbering system, it uses route concepts, just like you said. Those route concepts can be codenamed to use in the huddle or even at the line.

So if the defense is showing Cover 3 and the QB wants to run a Smash concept against it, maybe the term the offense is using for smash is “REO Speedwagon.” That can be be called out at the line, the receivers know the concept is Smash, and the defense shouldn’t know what it means.

Not huddling and getting to the LOS with 22 seconds on the clock, while your offensive coordinator surveys the defense and tells the QB what play to call, to me, is a gimmick.

Once upon a time, players like Peyton Manning did all that work.

12 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I would much rather have an offensive guy but I would take Toub before any defensive guy out there.

Toub is on my good coach list.

I am confident that his teams would at least be ready to play and not "no show" multiple games, which would be a huge sad step for the Bears.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

Hub Arkush: Ryan Pace has 3 or 4 names on his short list of candidates he wants to interview, and they will NOT be the usual suspects.

My guess is it is going to be the young offensive guys that are only started to get love this year.

I do not think we are going to see McDaniels or Patricia at Halas Hall.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

My guess is it is going to be the young offensive guys that are only started to get love this year.

I do not think we are going to see McDaniels or Patricia at Halas Hall.

My guess: DeFilippo, Nagy, LaFleur, Carmichael

After watching the failings of guys like Mel Tucker and Dowell Loggains and Jeff Rodgers I really want Pace to come out strong and get his guy and then jump the assistant coach market.

Honestly, I think it is as important to get out in front of that market as it is to get your guy at the HC spot. We have now seen multiple season torpedoed by terrible coordinators.

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

After watching the failings of guys like Mel Tucker and Dowell Loggains and Jeff Rodgers I really want Pace to come out strong and get his guy and then jump the assistant coach market.

Honestly, I think it is as important to get out in front of that market as it is to get your guy at the HC spot. We have now seen multiple season torpedoed by terrible coordinators.

Agreed 110%. Look at the 49ers staff and try not to vomit.

11 minutes ago, G08 said:

Agreed 110%. Look at the 49ers staff and try not to vomit.

I know they wanted to steal Fangio so badly.

The Bears have an advantage that they do not have to hire a GM so they should get out of the gate quickly. I do not need an exhaustive Emery interview everyone with a pulse search. We need to do well in the assistant coach market, even more so if we hire an inexperienced HC.

We need an offensive staff from top to bottom. The group we have is hot garbage.

Archived