UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

Just now, WindyCity said:

I know they wanted to steal Fangio so badly.

The Bears have an advantage that they do not have to hire a GM so they should get out of the gate quickly. I do not need an exhaustive Emery interview everyone with a pulse search. We need to do well in the assistant coach market, even more so if we hire an inexperienced HC.

We need an offensive staff from top to bottom. The group we have is hot garbage.

So how does this work? McVay was interviewed the first time on January 5th. Not sure when his second interview was, and he was announced on January 12th.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

So how does this work? McVay was interviewed the first time on January 5th. Not sure when his second interview was, and he was announced on January 12th.

The Breer piece talked about how they were locked in on McVay at the beginning of the process. Then Wade became available and they were able to move quickly to secure him.

I would like to see the Bears be locked in within the first week of January, timetables and logistics permitting, so they can be ready to roll by the 12th. That is a pretty quick turnaround considering interviews and negotiating a deal.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The Breer piece talked about how they were locked in on McVay at the beginning of the process. Then Wade became available and they were able to move quickly to secure him.

I would like to see the Bears be locked in within the first week of January, timetables and logistics permitting, so they can be ready to roll by the 12th. That is a pretty quick turnaround considering interviews and negotiating a deal.

It is but McVay was on a team that didn't make the playoffs, right? DeFilippo and LaFleur likely are locks, Nagy should be as well. That hamstrings things.

44 minutes ago, G08 said:

Hub Arkush: Ryan Pace has 3 or 4 names on his short list of candidates he wants to interview, and they will NOT be the usual suspects.

Hmm if I had to guess this means new names that weren't in the hat in previous years such as Nagy, DeFilippo, LaFleur, Morton, etc.

Also tells me that Pace isn't initially looking at any retreads.

20 minutes ago, G08 said:

It is but McVay was on a team that didn't make the playoffs, right? DeFilippo and LaFleur likely are locks, Nagy should be as well. That hamstrings things.

Both should have bye weeks, which makes it imperative to get the interview done during the bye week, even if it is to eliminate them from the list.

Nagy will not have a bye week so we really need top hope the Chiefs get caught by the Chargers or that they are 1 and done so we can get the interview done.

We also need to knock off a Rooney rule candidate, which I would use more for an OC or DC interview. Interview a minority candidate that you are looking at for a coordinator position and cheat the system a little.

9 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Hmm if I had to guess this means new names that weren't in the hat in previous years such as Nagy, DeFilippo, LaFleur, Morton, etc.

Also tells me that Pace isn't initially looking at any retreads.

I think LaFleur or Carmichael is an odd man out.

1. Nagy

2. DeFilippo

3. Morton

4. LaFleur/Carmichael

9 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Both should have bye weeks, which makes it imperative to get the interview done during the bye week, even if it is to eliminate them from the list.

Nagy will not have a bye week so we really need top hope the Chiefs get caught by the Chargers or that they are 1 and done so we can get the interview done.

We also need to knock off a Rooney rule candidate, which I would use more for an OC or DC interview. Interview a minority candidate that you are looking at for a coordinator position and cheat the system a little.

The Chiefs won't have a first round bye. Right now the only team that has it is the Eagles. The Rams have an outside shot to take it from the Vikings.

3 hours ago, G08 said:

Hub Arkush: Ryan Pace has 3 or 4 names on his short list of candidates he wants to interview, and they will NOT be the usual suspects.

That’s not very descriptive. Who are the usual suspects? Is he taking about McDaniels/Harbaugh/Cooter, or all of the OC/QB guys we’ve been hearing about recently?

3 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

That’s not very descriptive. Who are the usual suspects? Is he taking about McDaniels/Harbaugh/Cooter, or all of the OC/QB guys we’ve been hearing about recently?

*shrug* my guess is unconventional, offensive minded dudes.

The league-recommended list:

Chiefs OC Matt Nagy

Patriots OC Josh McDaniels

Patriots DC Matt Patricia

Texans DC Mike Vrabel

Vikings DC George Edwards

Saints Asst. HC/TEs Dan Campbell

Chiefs STs coach Dave Toub

Eagles QBs coach John DeFilippo

Eagles DC Jim Schwartz

Panthers DC Steve Wilks

Lions OC Jim Bob Cooter

Vikings OC Pat Shurmur

10 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

Chiefs OC Matt Nagy

Texans DC Mike Vrabel

Eagles DC Jim Schwartz

Panthers DC Steve Wilks

Lions OC Jim Bob Cooter

Vikings OC Pat Shurmur

There are only a couple inspiring names on that list.

3 hours ago, G08 said:

The Chiefs won't have a first round bye. Right now the only team that has it is the Eagles. The Rams have an outside shot to take it from the Vikings.

We need DeFilippo and Morton done during the bye week.

Nagy and Lafleur done as soon as they are eliminated.

The Giants will be behind because of the GM search.

The Bengals seem focused on in house guys.

The Bucs will be out of the gate strong.

If the Colts move on Toub fast he might be pulling from the same pool as Nagy.

29 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

Chiefs OC Matt Nagy

Texans DC Mike Vrabel

Eagles DC Jim Schwartz

Panthers DC Steve Wilks

Lions OC Jim Bob Cooter

Vikings OC Pat Shurmur

Just saw this...as much as I have never been fully behind him it is crazy to think Carmichael Jr isn't on this list...

Frank Reich is another very interesting absentee.

Archived