UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

37 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Just was loaded about 2 minutes ago, thanks I'm loading it now.  Thanks. I don't really know what hosts are worthwile so I rarely listen to any of them.

Link to segment -

https://omny.fm/shows/the-spiegel-and-parkins-show-on-670-the-score/michael-lombardi-on-the-bears-search-for-a-new-hea

Sweet, thanks for linking.

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

don't care for it. That just means Tru learns another system this year, then likely a new one in 2019. Flip, Nagy, Shurmur, McDaniels, etc, I just want whoever can bring intelligence, adaptability, and consistency to the offense while developing Trubisky.

This.... 

When we initially hired Fox and he tapped Gase for his OC, I remember being more concerned than happy, because everyone knew Gase was only going to be a 1 year rental at OC if the team had any offensive success that first year.  Having the same scheme year to year (assuming it's also a successful scheme, obviously) is imo paramount concern with regard to aiding Trubisky's development

My ideal right now would honestly be a HC who is also basically acting as the OC, simply because it means we're locked into one scheme for Trubisky... and not changing things on him constantly.  I haven't looked nearly as deep into the coaching prospects as I have some of the draft targets via time constraints this year, but personally my current vote is for DeFillipo simply because I absolutely loved his play breakdown videos... and I want absolutely nothing to do with McDaniels.

Just now, Epyon said:

This.... 

When we initially hired Fox and he tapped Gase for his OC, I remember being more concerned than happy, because everyone knew Gase was only going to be a 1 year rental at OC if the team had any offensive success that first year.  Having the same scheme year to year (assuming it's also a successful scheme, obviously) is imo paramount concern with regard to aiding Trubisky's development

My ideal right now would honestly be a HC who is also basically acting as the OC, simply because it means we're locked into one scheme for Trubisky... and not changing things on him constantly.  I haven't looked nearly as deep into the coaching prospects as I have some of the draft targets via time constraints this year, but personally my current vote is for DeFillipo simply because I absolutely loved his play breakdown videos... and I want absolutely nothing to do with McDaniels.

And when we lost Gase to MIA we tried to keep the scheme, through hiring Loggains. In the best of circumstances he was handcuffed by Fox and atrocious, in the worst he was simply pathetic. We can't let that happen. With the HC installing the system, the OC and QB coaches can be groomed to know they system and their tasks. They will come and go but if the players will be completely in tuned with the system. Then the loss of those positiconal coaches and coords doesn't hurt as bad.

Of course there is more to being the HC than playcalling and QB development, but I think the HC's success is going to be through Trubisky's growth first. Green Bay has owned the division for Rodger's tenure with a mediocre defense and largely inept office. They had the QB, a solid offensive scheme and consistency in that scheme. When Rodgers scrambled left or right, every WR was on the same page and knew where to go. Their timing was fantastic for routes, back shoulder throws, etc. We have the QB with massive upside, we need the coach to get him there and keep the system there to develop that chemistry.

My feelings on the current list

Wilks-not really interested at all. We do not need another defensive coach and another musical OCs situation like we had for most of my adult life. I think you interview him to see if he is the next Mike Tomlin and to satisfy the Rooney Rule.

DeFilippo-I like Flip. I know that his resume is a little light, but if he has 'it" he has "it". We just saw our GM draft a QB with 13 career starts so I think he values a skill set over experience. The guy has spent a decade working with young QBs and if you believe the reports the Eagles are terrified of losing him and that says a lot.

Shurmur-No one can argue with what he has done this year with a backup QB, but is he a good play caller who is thriving on a well run and Zimmer disciplined team? Outside of QB he really has everything he needs for success and a team with a winning culture. Interested, but not super interested.

McDaniels-I think the Bears are doing their due diligence, but I doubt he interviews with us. If he does interview that would be a nice little boost about what the league thinks of Trubisky. Obviously the NE thing scares me, the Denver disaster scares me, but he knows offense, he knows QBs, and he has studied under the best coach ever. Very interested, but skeptical.

34 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Schefter was on ESPN 1000 and said we have asked to interview Matt Nagy.

I think Nagy could be great for us...

In other news Rap is reporting that Loggains is in Miami with Gase talking over a position in their staff...for the love of all that's holy take him.

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Josh McDaniels will interview with the Chicago Bears on Friday. (Via @BenVolin)

I think this makes a big statement about Trubisky that he would take the interview.

I don't think it is all about Trubisky...I think this is one of the biggest franchises in football and any coach would be interested...if McDaniels has truly learned from his time in Denver he will want input on the 53 and not full control...truth is he just isn't really to take all of that on his shoulders...McDaniels with Flores as DC wouldn't be a bad move altho I can think of better.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't think it is all about Trubisky...I think this is one of the biggest franchises in football and any coach would be interested...if McDaniels has truly learned from his time in Denver he will want input on the 53 and not full control...truth is he just isn't really to take all of that on his shoulders...McDaniels with Flores as DC wouldn't be a bad move altho I can think of better.

I don’t think he would be interviewing if he didn’t like the QB situation.

McDaniels is interesting considering his brother could give him a first hand account of working for Pace and the McCaskeys.

I like that we have a solid list of guys to interview. Flip, Nagy, Shurmur, and  McDaniels are all great offensive minds. Hopefully Pace can hit it hard and fast to try and get his top choice, whoever it is.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

McDaniels is interesting considering his brother could give him a first hand account of working for Pace and the McCaskeys.

I bet he already has spoken with him in detail about the organization.

18 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

There is no doubt that is a factor but I don't think it would be the defining one.

Archived