UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

Looking more into the staff McDaniels could put together...Brian Flores would be a rock solid pick as a DC...McDaniels also player with Brian Polian in college who was a HC at Nevada for 3 years and is currently the ST coAch at Notre Dame so if we could get him as a special teams coach that would be a nice add...surprisingly it's a quality OC I am struggling to link to McDaniels.

In my opinion, the best coach to develop a young QB that's available right now is Josh McDaniels... but he comes with a TON of questions that need to be answered.

John DeFilippo can't be ignored for what he has done with Wentz the past two seasons... and Pat Shurmur deserves a truckload of respect for what he accomplished with Minnesota's offense this season.

Take your pick... but for me? The way Pace is trying to be like New Orleans? It's going to be a young, up-and-coming offensive minded head coach. He wants his Sean Payton to build his Drew Brees.

2 hours ago, CBears019 said:

Well, Vegas has Shurmur as 3-1 favorite as the next Bears HC.  

I know Shurmur is a rock solid candidate and has production and experience. I know what he is doing right now is the most impressive OC performance this season.

I am not sure why I can’t love him,

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I know Shurmur is a rock solid candidate and has production and experience. I know what he is doing right now is the most impressive OC performance this season.

Because he is Gary Kubiak...a good coach who will never be special or win anything unless he stumbles across an all time great at QB and an elite D...he is 7-9...8-8...9-7.

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Pace said charisma, energy and passion are important to him in a head coach. That's not Pat Shurmur, is it?

I think DeFilippo and he are going to hit it off splendidly. It will boil down to Pace trusting his vision/staff.

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

Because he is Gary Kubiak...a good coach who will never be special or win anything unless he stumbles across an all time great at QB and an elite D...he is 7-9...8-8...9-7.

13-3

I realize our defense pretty elite, but it's hard to call Case Keenum an all-time great QB already.

9_9

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

13-3

I realize our defense pretty elite, but it's hard to call Case Keenum an all-time great QB already.

9_9

I mean Shurmur as a HC...I love Zimmer and fully believe as much as your offence has been successful it's that D which is special.

Just now, Madmike90 said:

I mean Shurmur as a HC...I love Zimmer and fully believe as much as your offence has been successful it's that D which is special.

I just felt like coming and throwing out a little crap.:P

I still believe Shurmur has the ability to get a team somewhere. At least a playoff team if he can actually go somewhere is a little bit of talent where he can call the plays and actually run the offense.

He had nothing in St. Louis, nothing in Cleveland, didn't do any of the playcalling in Philly until Chip left, and that was the best the offense looked all year and still wasn't his scheme or playbook.

His first year he took the Vikings offense from nothing, to a top 10 offense with a 3rd string QB and back-up level runningbacks.

What he really will always need tho is a solid defense behind his gameplan and scheme, without it, teams won't ever win. I agree with you on that.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Looking more into the staff McDaniels could put together...Brian Flores would be a rock solid pick as a DC...McDaniels also player with Brian Polian in college who was a HC at Nevada for 3 years and is currently the ST coAch at Notre Dame so if we could get him as a special teams coach that would be a nice add...surprisingly it's a quality OC I am struggling to link to McDaniels.

I think if Patricia doesn't end up a HC that Flores probably will be the leading candidate to come with McDaniels. A lot of people are really hot on 30 year old Stephen Belichek and have said he's in line for a DC job sooner rather than later. Would be a swing for the fence hire, but so was McVay and they're virtually the same age. 

I guess it depends on if McDaniels wants that older/experienced Asst HC or not but it's said that he and Charlie Weis have an extremely good relationship. 

Bears just interviewed Fangio for the head coaching job. I think that was done as a sign of respect and I sincerely hope Pace tells him that regardless of who he picks for HC, he wants Fangio to remain here as our DC. Make him the highest paid DC in the league FFS. We ranked NINTH (!!!) in points allowed this year-- that's insane.

Archived