Rudy Gobert to Minnesota

MikeT14

20 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

You think that little of Mitchell? You can do better than RJ as a centerpiece.

Those 4 picks would likely be lotto picks. Give us RJ, Robinson, Toppin, 3 unprotected 1sts, and a protected 1st/pick swap.

On 7/1/2022 at 4:03 PM, redsoxsuck05 said:

You just won 46 games...try building on it instead of pissing yourself about how bad it'll be when KAT leaves.

Building on it? They kept their entire young core in tact and have KAT going into year 8 and Ant on the cusp of stardom (if he’s not firmly in it already). This is the time to put the chips in and start making your run. 

5 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Building on it? They kept their entire young core in tact and have KAT going into year 8 and Ant on the cusp of stardom (if he’s not firmly in it already). This is the time to put the chips in and start making your run. 

You need to find guys that fit with what you do though. The Wolves played at the fastest pace in the NBA last year, the Jazz with Gobert have regularly played at one of the slowest. KAT/Gobert is an awkward fit together on offense and defense because offensively they're going to have to ask KAT to space the floor for Rudy who's not a great offensive player. Defensively it pushes KAT onto the perimeter in a league where small ball and versatility are what win in the postseason. 

12 hours ago, NYRaider said:

You need to find guys that fit with what you do though. The Wolves played at the fastest pace in the NBA last year, the Jazz with Gobert have regularly played at one of the slowest. KAT/Gobert is an awkward fit together on offense and defense because offensively they're going to have to ask KAT to space the floor for Rudy who's not a great offensive player. Defensively it pushes KAT onto the perimeter in a league where small ball and versatility are what win in the postseason. 

There’s risks, but I’m not sure who else they could have acquired to firmly put them in a better spot would have been? As far as the KAT fit at the 4, it’s been pretty clear they’ve wanted to find a big man just like Gobert for a while to put alongside him. Whether that will work in the “small ball era” as you mention remains to be seen, but I don’t think we’ve seen one of the best shooting big men alongside a perennial defensive player of the year/presence like Gobert in this era either.

He’s been a driving force in continually putting Utah near the top of a strong and deep conference for several years now. He also hasn’t ever had the type of length and perimeter defense the Wolves have with DLo/Ant/Jaden around him (which is usually what caused issues in the playoffs imo). 

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

There’s risks, but I’m not sure who else they could have acquired to firmly put them in a better spot would have been? As far as the KAT fit at the 4, it’s been pretty clear they’ve wanted to find a big man just like Gobert for a while to put alongside him. Whether that will work in the “small ball era” as you mention remains to be seen, but I don’t think we’ve seen one of the best shooting big men alongside a perennial defensive player of the year/presence like Gobert in this era either.

He’s been a driving force in continually putting Utah near the top of a strong and deep conference for several years now. He also hasn’t ever had the type of length and perimeter defense the Wolves have with DLo/Ant/Jaden around him (which is usually what caused issues in the playoffs imo). 

I'm just thankful we're likely getting 3-4 lottery picks.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I think everyone is in for a surprise when Rudy has to play with another center, his contract will be horrific in a year or two.

Think we’re just going to have to wholly disagree on this. First off I’m not sure how you think Gobert and his game age that poorly. No reason to think his contract will be horrific anytime soon. In fact a big plus and reason for the Wolves going for him was his contract and being locked in for the long haul with KAT and Ant.

I also don’t get why the pushing of “bad fit with Towns” is a thing unless it’s purely because you don’t think it can work with more teams going small. 

5 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Think we’re just going to have to wholly disagree on this. First off I’m not sure how you think Gobert and his game age that poorly. No reason to think his contract will be horrific anytime soon. In fact a big plus and reason for the Wolves going for him was his contract and being locked in for the long haul with KAT and Ant.

I also don’t get why the pushing of “bad fit with Towns” is a thing unless it’s purely because you don’t think it can work with more teams going small. 

I've watched almost every Jazz game of Rudy's career. We've seen numerous big men decline around age 30 and his entire game is literally built around size/athleticism, even a small step back will result in a huge drop off in terms of his impact. He's going to be 33/34 years old making Kevin Durant money.

Rudy is useless offensively outside of 3 feet so to space the floor KAT is basically going to have to be a spot up shooter. I also personally don't think KAT playing on the perimeter and switching 80-90% of the time fits his skill-set. 

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I've watched almost every Jazz game of Rudy's career. We've seen numerous big men decline around age 30 and his entire game is literally built around size/athleticism, even a small step back will result in a huge drop off in terms of his impact. He's going to be 33/34 years old making Kevin Durant money.

Rudy is useless offensively outside of 3 feet so to space the floor KAT is basically going to have to be a spot up shooter. I also personally don't think KAT playing on the perimeter and switching 80-90% of the time fits his skill-set. 

He’s not losing that size with age, and usually those bigs who are declining are doing so due to injury/their body breaking down. Neither of which I have seen anything to indicate is happening to Gobert. That doesn’t happen to all of them.

KAT literally played next to Vando last year, who is even more of a black hole offensively. Gobert helps bring that physical presence inside that we lack. Doesn’t even get into the fact that as we saw in the playoffs with KAT, he has issues with fouling. Not being in the big anchor in the paint should bring loads of pressure off of him. 

Really don’t foresee a young ascending star with superstar potential in Ant at age 20 going into year 3, KAT, and Gobert (one of the most feared defensive players in basketball) being a lotto team year in and year out (and especially not in the next couple years.

But I guess we’ll see.

Just now, .Buzz said:

He’s not losing that 7’9 wingspan, and usually those bugs who are declining are doing so due to injury/their body breaking down. Neither of which I have seen anything to indicate is happening to Gobert. 

KAT literally played next to Vando last year, who is even more of a black hole offensively. Gobert helps bring that physical presence inside that we lack. Doesn’t even get into the fact that as we saw in the playoffs with KAT, he has issues with fouling. Not being in the big anchor in the paint should bring loads of pressure off of him. 

Really don’t foresee a young ascending star with superstar potential in Ant at age 20 going into year 3, KAT, and Gobert (one of the most feared defensive players in basketball) being a lotto team year in and year out (and especially not in the next couple years.

But I guess we’ll see.

Rudy's length helps him but his biggest strength is his mobility at his size.

Vando can at least be a semi threat outside the paint and guards on the perimeter, KAT has never been asked to do it and there's a reason literally 0 teams in the NBA run 2 center lineups.

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Rudy's length helps him but his biggest strength is his mobility at his size.

Vando can at least be a semi threat outside the paint and guards on the perimeter, KAT has never been asked to do it and there's a reason literally 0 teams in the NBA run 2 center lineups.

Defensively yes, Vando was a good fit next to Towns. But offensively outside of his rebounding ability (which Gobert trumps) Vando brought next to nothing in that capacity. The pick n’ roll with DLo and Gobert will be fun as hell. 

There’s a reason why this team refused to part with McDaniels. His length at the 3 to go along with Ant and DLo provides some special combinations they can do around Gobert. Even with potential awkward matchups at times w/ KAT I expect this team to be fairly high up there in defensive ranks. And I know this team isn’t going to have any issue scoring.

7 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Defensively yes, Vando was a good fit next to Towns. But offensively outside of his rebounding ability (which Gobert trumps) Vando brought next to nothing in that capacity. The pick n’ roll with DLo and Gobert will be fun as hell. 

There’s a reason why this team refused to part with McDaniels. His length at the 3 to go along with Ant and DLo provides some special combinations they can do around Gobert. Even with potential awkward matchups at times w/ KAT I expect this team to be fairly high up there in defensive ranks. And I know this team isn’t going to have any issue scoring.

You guys will enjoy Rudy, take care of my baby boy.

• Like 1