Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

• As cable vanishes, the new TV model for sports leagues could be a mix of old and new: more games moving back to broadcast TV stations while getting more streaming partners in the game.

We will all win if this happens. NBA is talking about going to NBC too.

6 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Tim Duncan didn’t even do these kinds of things. That said m, Duncan was probably about 30x better defensively. 

ESPN is going to absolutely hate Jokic just like they did Duncan. Jokic is going to win titles and not give them any hot take garbage.

I think if I had to rank best players at their peak in the last 20 years, I'd have Jokic second.

These are the players I'd consider 'special' grouped roughly into tiers

GOAT Tier

1. LeBron obviously

---------------------------------

Best Offensive Engines

2. Jokic - best offensive player, most consistent player, second best playoff performer

3. Curry - best team player, best offball player, second best offensive player, probably third best playoff performer

----------------------------------

Do everything tier

4. Duncan - best defender, best leader, did all the small stuff, and always stepped up

5. Wade - He had up and down years but Wade when he was on was unstoppable

6. Kobe - probably the most complete overall player besides LeBron and Duncan 

7. Durant - best scorer overall but less supporting skills and had some sneaky shrinking moments in the playoffs that get buried because he joined Curry for 3 years

-----------------------------------

Just missing a little something

7. Giannis - too offensively inconsistent but when scoring efficiently probably could be ranked as high as #4 

8. Doncic - little to no team success but consistently amazing in regular season and the playoffs and if I rank him lower its just because his teammates sucked which isn't fair

9. Nowitzki - underrated for a lot of the same reasons Jokic. Similar to Durant as a scorer but less prolific, but better leader and competitor 

------------------------------------

Not enough overall

10. Garnett - He did everything at a high level but the least assertive star and didnt allow himself to take over, passively held himself back

11. Leonard - 2019 is up there with the best of everyone else but hes always hurt, unreliable in the regular season, and the gap between 2019 and his next best season is ridiculous

12. Chris Paul - Not enough playoff success or top tier MVP level play but a top10 guy forever

Playoff Choker Tiers

13 & 14: Embiid and Harden - if you want to get let down in the playoffs root for them

1 hour ago, roger murdock said:

I think if I had to rank best players at their peak in the last 20 years, I'd have Jokic second.

These are the players I'd consider 'special' grouped roughly into tiers

GOAT Tier

1. LeBron obviously

---------------------------------

Best Offensive Engines

2. Jokic - best offensive player, most consistent player, second best playoff performer

3. Curry - best team player, best offball player, second best offensive player, probably third best playoff performer

----------------------------------

Do everything tier

4. Duncan - best defender, best leader, did all the small stuff, and always stepped up

5. Wade - He had up and down years but Wade when he was on was unstoppable

6. Kobe - probably the most complete overall player besides LeBron and Duncan 

7. Durant - best scorer overall but less supporting skills and had some sneaky shrinking moments in the playoffs that get buried because he joined Curry for 3 years

-----------------------------------

Just missing a little something

7. Giannis - too offensively inconsistent but when scoring efficiently probably could be ranked as high as #4 

8. Doncic - little to no team success but consistently amazing in regular season and the playoffs and if I rank him lower its just because his teammates sucked which isn't fair

9. Nowitzki - underrated for a lot of the same reasons Jokic. Similar to Durant as a scorer but less prolific, but better leader and competitor 

Not enough overall

10. Garnett - He did everything at a high level but the least assertive star and didnt allow himself to take over, passively held himself back

11. Leonard - 2019 is up there with the best of everyone else but hes always hurt, unreliable in the regular season, and the gap between 2019 and his next best season is ridiculous

12. Chris Paul - Not enough playoff success or top tier MVP level play but a top10 guy forever

Playoff Choker Tiers

13 & 14: Embiid and Harden - if you want to get let down in the playoffs root for them

Prime Curry > Prime Jokic. And this is coming from someone that hates Curry & loves Jokic. 

Giannis is going to be really tough evaluating all time. His shooting numbers are going to be trash.

However, he’s amazing at “bulk attempts.” He’s so absolutely relentless that he could shoot 4/13 and you KNOW he’s going to have a chance to impact a game still.

This game will forever be the perfect way to describe Giannis game. Just keeps attacking and putting up an insane amount of shot attempts.

Edited by candyman93

19 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Kinda hilarious that ISO plays are on this list.

ISO basketball is not bad if you have the right guy executing it. It lets other guys rest a bit or just focus on getting a rebound.

ISOs work with shooters. It’s why lebron has always been so great at it. He’s usually surrounded by 3-4 shooters who you can’t sag off of and is left 1 on 1

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

ISOs work with shooters. It’s why lebron has always been so great at it. He’s usually surrounded by 3-4 shooters who you can’t sag off of and is left 1 on 1

With shooters and a couple guys who are willing to pass/make the right decisions with the ball. LeBron was surgical with how he attacked defenses and it led to a lot of great looks despite playing a ton of iso, which is a common complaint.

15 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Prime Curry > Prime Jokic. And this is coming from someone that hates Curry & loves Jokic. 

Prime Curry when on is probably the best but he has a higher variance game is is prone to offnights the way Jokic is and LeBron aren't. 

Unreal season from Jokic start to finish

I think this is the first time since LeBron circa 2017 that I think we have a clear cut best player in the NBA. 

I'd say in general

• 00-02 = Shaq
  • 03-06 = Duncan
  • 07-10 = Toss up between Kobe, LeBron, Duncan
  • 11 - 18ish = LeBron
  • 19 - 22 = Toss up between Giannis or Curry or Jokic
  • 23 + = Jokic

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck