Patriots Training Camp - 2022

Hunter2_1

Offense terrible again. Individuals, 7 vs 7, 11 vs 11. All advantage Oakla…Vegas.

First 8 runs went no where, could barely make a positive play for about 75% (according to Phil Perry)

Pats through three 11 vs 11, had 4 positive plays out of 18. 

7 of 8 runs stuffed at line, Mac was 3 for 9 with a pick, and LV had a sack

It looks like once again the OL is the issue

picked up at the end, we won the 2 min drills both on O and D. Bourne TD after a spike to stop clock. 

on Individuals, Renfrow and Adams minced our DBs.

Edited by Hunter2_1

Day 2 with The Raiders

Far more enthusiastic, a lot of our players were more pumped up. Devante Parker had a TD and they went mad

Felt like a party for the offense. Wasn’t perfect, they started slow again, but far better than yesterday. 

First 11vs11, we had 3 plays go no where, and on 4th down, Chandler beats Trent to sack Mac 

but we bounced back, TD to Meyers in the next one. During hurry up period we scored a FG, next 11vs11 Mac went 4 for 4, with TDs to Meyers and Monty. Very accurate - over shoulder back of the EZ

in the 2 min drill we did it again. Mac 4/5, raiders called Time out with clock already stopped, 4 seconds left - Jones had time, sent it to Henry over the middle for a TD.

Morale is high, despite the struggles 

The biggest takeaway I can take from this training camp is that they should go full youth movement imo. We've got a transition year, so you wouldn't risk losing any young guys through waivers or cutting them and putting them on a 1yr deal instead of a 4 year rookie deal. 

Keep em and Play em:

• Pierre Strong
    • He's still recovering.. but he could be a force as a 3rd down back come mid season
  • Kevin Harris
    • ( if Montgomery misses time, otherwise Foxboru Flu him)
  • Lil'Jordan Humphrey
    • (Flex TE... intrigued to develop him here) .. I would also be fine with just cutting him to keep another young guy, he's a fun preseason guy but he will never be more than a #4 WR or #3 Big slot / TE
  • Kody Russey
    • ( he seems super smart, to the point he could be a future Ted Karras, keep him.. he's not sneaking to PS)
  • Chasen Hines
    • (I really like what I've seen, I think he can be a starter at RG at some point soon) 
  • Arlington Hambright
    • ( I think he can start at RG with Onwenu at RT if Wynn is traded... with Hines taking over eventually and him becoming a backup at G/T afterwards, still young but has 2 years NFL experience)
  • LyBran Ray 
    • (He is very versatile.. lets see what he can do) 
  • Sam Roberts
    • (Man i'm excited about this guy, give him a year to transition and he could be a great rotational guy)
  • Cam Mcgrone
    • He's not ready,  IR him for a second year and give him a chance.. they will need to draft another LB next year
  • Shaun Wade
    • He's had some boneheaded moves but i think he's made big progress from his last year at Ohio State
  • Brenden Schooler 
    • Future Cody Davis, future is now
  • DaMarcus Mitchell 
    • Played on all special teams and showed enough on defense.. sorry Bethel
  • Marcus Jones
    • I'm not a big Myles Bryant fan but he's ok... by mid season I want Marcus taking over as starting slot if Jon Jones is on the outside though
  • Jack Jones
    • Man is he exciting, feels like a future JC Jackson... I think he will gamble too much to get a lot of snaps as a rookie but he will get an opportunity to fight for that #3 outside CB role

Cut em/Trade em: 

• Devin Asiasi
    • (Practice Squad, he's had his chance)
  • Isaiah Wynn
    • (Trade him to Dallas or any other injured team.. I'm good with him)
  • James Ferentz
    • (not good enough to play, keep him as a PS elevation)
  • Drew Desjarlais / Bill Murray
    • ( PS, I want to see how they could look after a year on the PS)
  • William Sherman
    • ( All reports are that he's done well, seems like a good PS guy that could be elevated)
  • Carl Davis
    • (only a 1st down guy, PS and elevate him if you need him.. not worth a roster spot)
  • Henry Anderson
    • ( nope.. not worth the spot) 
  • Jahlani Tavai
    • ( I refuse to agree with playing him.. play Mack Wilson) 
  • Terrance Mitchell
    • ( PS or cut, not worth cutting a young guy to keep him)
  • Justin Bethel (32) 
  • Cody Davis (33)
  • Like 2

QB (3) M.Jones, B.Hoyer, B.Zappe
RB (4) D.Harris, R.Stevenson, P.Strong, T.Montgomery
WR (7) J.Meyers, D.Parker, K.Bourne, T.Thornton, N.Agholor, M.Slater, L.Humphrey
TE (3) H.Henry, J.Smith, M.Sokol
C  (2) D.Andrews, K.Russey
G  (4) M.Onwenu, C.Strange, C.Hines, Y.Durant
T  (4) I.Wynn, T.Brown, J.Herron, Y.Cajuste
DE (1) D.Wise
DT (4) L.Guy, C.Barmore, D.Godchaux, D.Ekuale
ILB(4) J.Bentley, M.Wilson, J.Tavai, C.McGrone
OLB(4) M.Judon, J.Uche, A.Jennings, D.Mitchell
CB (6) J.Mills, Jo.Jones, M.Jones, Ja.Jones, T.Mitchell, S.Wade
SS (2) K.Dugger, A.Phillips
FS (2) D.McCourty, J.Peppers
ST (3) N.Folk, J.Bailey, J.Cardona

If Thornton and Montgomery start on PUP or IR I could see Kevin Harris and Sam Roberts making it. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

QB (3) M.Jones, B.Hoyer, B.Zappe
RB (4) D.Harris, R.Stevenson, P.Strong, T.Montgomery
WR (7) J.Meyers, D.Parker, K.Bourne, T.Thornton, N.Agholor, M.Slater, L.Humphrey
TE (3) H.Henry, J.Smith, M.Sokol
C  (2) D.Andrews, K.Russey
G  (4) M.Onwenu, C.Strange, C.Hines, Y.Durant
T  (4) I.Wynn, T.Brown, J.Herron, Y.Cajuste
DE (1) D.Wise
DT (4) L.Guy, C.Barmore, D.Godchaux, D.Ekuale
ILB(4) J.Bentley, M.Wilson, J.Tavai, C.McGrone
OLB(4) M.Judon, J.Uche, A.Jennings, D.Mitchell
CB (6) J.Mills, Jo.Jones, M.Jones, Ja.Jones, T.Mitchell, S.Wade
SS (2) K.Dugger, A.Phillips
FS (2) D.McCourty, J.Peppers
ST (3) N.Folk, J.Bailey, J.Cardona

If Thornton and Montgomery start on PUP or IR I could see Kevin Harris and Sam Roberts making it. 

The dumbest rule the league has is IR before cut down day makes you out for the season. They should be able to put Thornton/Montgomery on IR now and have them be one of the 8 guys I believe it is that you can bring back during the season.

The tough thing about cutting young guys like Harris/Roberts is that you've got them on a rookie deal ( i think 4 years?) but if you cut them, they are coming back on a 1year deal. So if your point of PS them is to develop them, you're giving up on time to develop by cutting them. This is the reason why we usually see Patriots RB's get IR'd instead. I fully expect one of Strong/Harris to end up on IR in the next week. The same could go for Roberts if they feel they can't find a place for him. 

The guys you should cut and bring back on the PS are Ferentz / Davis / Anderson /etc. The guys on a 1 year deal that don't need to pass through waivers. If you can convince them to stick around in advance, you can just put them on the PS. 

21 hours ago, Crimmage said:

The dumbest rule the league has is IR before cut down day makes you out for the season. They should be able to put Thornton/Montgomery on IR now and have them be one of the 8 guys I believe it is that you can bring back during the season.

The tough thing about cutting young guys like Harris/Roberts is that you've got them on a rookie deal ( i think 4 years?) but if you cut them, they are coming back on a 1year deal. So if your point of PS them is to develop them, you're giving up on time to develop by cutting them. This is the reason why we usually see Patriots RB's get IR'd instead. I fully expect one of Strong/Harris to end up on IR in the next week. The same could go for Roberts if they feel they can't find a place for him. 

The guys you should cut and bring back on the PS are Ferentz / Davis / Anderson /etc. The guys on a 1 year deal that don't need to pass through waivers. If you can convince them to stick around in advance, you can just put them on the PS. 

Sorry @Crimmage  I can't agree. Your trying to be logical with the NFL!!!!!   You have the players union who don't want teams loading up on fake injuries. I don't see it that way but the union is run by idiots.  They figure your  preventing players from moving and making more money. PS pay is crap.

Now you have the owners and GMs that would abuse the system and every player they want will come down with preseason hang nail.

This just off the top of my head.  Make the team sigh (NFL) contracts for players placed on practice squad and have a cap on money. Something like that. None of this  nine thousand per week crap.

Look at PS now you have teams with guys that made million in the NFL. EX Kenny Stills and Leveon Bell.  IMO that's ridiculous.

Edited by m haynes

My roster

QB  ----- Mac Jones, Brian Hoyer, Bailey Zappe

RB ----- Damien Harris, Rhamondre Stevenson, Ty Montgomery, Pierre Strong.

I would be looking to trade Harris during the season. Reason we stink, or a team offers high draft choice. He's a FA and I don't pay RBs

WR ----- Jakobi Meyers, DeVante Parker, Nelson Agholor, Kendrick Bourne, Tyquan Thornton

TE ----- Hunter Henry, Jonnu Smith

OL ----- Trent Brown, Cole Strange, David Andrews, Michael Onwenu, Isaiah Wynn, Yodny Cajuste, Chasen Hines, Justin Herron

DL ----- Davon Godchaux, Christian Barmore, Lawrence Guy, Deatrich Wise Jr., Sam Roberts, LaBryan Ray

Young players IMO show future promise. Two old guys need youth.

LB ----- Matthew Judon, Ja’Whaun Bentley, Mack Wilson, Raekwon McMillan, Anfernee Jennings, Josh Uche

CB -----Jalen Mills, Jonathan Jones, Marcus Jones, Jack Jones, Shaun Wade, Terrance Mitchell

Myles Bryant cut. Been there done that. Time to move on.

S  ----- Devin McCourty, Adrian Phillips, Kyle Dugger, Jabrill Peppers, Joshuah Bledsoe

ST ----- Nick Folk, Jake Bailey, Joe Cardona, Matthew Slater, Justin Bethel, Brenden Schooler, DaMarcus Mitchell.

Player ------  Lil’Jordan Humphrey

Note   In today's NFL there is no player I keep on Special teams that has no other value.

EX   Roberts and Ray over any ST player.  Media is in love with Schooler, me when it comes to the choice of two promising DL or STs.

Schooler don't let the door hit you on the way out !!!!!!

ADDED   They say NFL game is 20% Special teams.  I say most of the 20% comes from field goals and extra points. Also most of the KO are out of the end zone. Bailey can do it 100% of the time with ease!!

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1

If you step back a bit, it’s actually a roster that lacks any top end talent at all. It has depth in a lot of positions, but it’s sparse on “names”. Depth is important, hopefully we can scrape the playoffs 

Edited by Hunter2_1

39 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

If you step back a bit, it’s actually a roster that lacks any top end talent at all. It has depth in a lot of positions, but it’s sparse on “names”. Depth is important, hopefully we can scrape the playoffs 

Great point. 

I'm a firm believer you don't need (super) stars as long as you have good starting players across the board which they don't. They also lack a leader, who is considered a dominant player or a face of lets say defense. 

The best they have now is Judon who IMO is just a very good player, however he doesn't have the command presence needed. Also its pretty bad when your only offensive leader is a 2nd year QB.  Jones is real good however he still young

EX Richard Seymour and Dont'a Hightower and  Rodney Harrison.

16 hours ago, m haynes said:

Great point. 

I'm a firm believer you don't need (super) stars as long as you have good starting players across the board which they don't. They also lack a leader, who is considered a dominant player or a face of lets say defense. 

The best they have now is Judon who IMO is just a very good player, however he doesn't have the command presence needed. Also its pretty bad when your only offensive leader is a 2nd year QB.  Jones is real good however he still young

EX Richard Seymour and Dont'a Hightower and  Rodney Harrison.

I’m very concerned about Mac behind that OL. That pick he threw the other day, yes it’s the pre season, but he’s spent the last month getting hurried up because of that ****rag of an OL. Hope it hasn’t messed his internal clock up or his confidence etc