Netflix’s The Sandman

Xenos

14 hours ago, RaiderX said:

Show was Good. Most of my gripes of the show were Netflix's fault. This would have been something on HBO tho. Very faithful to the books minus the DC Universe involvement (tho they had small cameos).

Are you talking about it looking better visually on HBO?

watched episode 1. Probably one of the few comic adaptations I am going in blind on. I am WFH the rest of the week due to a covid outbreak in my office so I will probably finish this up quick. 

After the first episode I am left curious but ultimately befuddled. There doesnt seem to be a through line yet. I guess that's what happens when you time skip so much in one outing. I don't quite understand the rules yet either, which I always hate. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

watched episode 1. Probably one of the few comic adaptations I am going in blind on. I am WFH the rest of the week due to a covid outbreak in my office so I will probably finish this up quick. 

After the first episode I am left curious but ultimately befuddled. There doesnt seem to be a through line yet. I guess that's what happens when you time skip so much in one outing. I don't quite understand the rules yet either, which I always hate. 

Same. I have no prior knowledge of the characters so going in blind. Ep1 was slow and I had a lot of 'what the hell is going on' moments but I just chalked that up to me now having any prior knowledge of the characters.

I will say, it was different. Different in the feel and different when comparing it to other DC stuff. Just the way it was shot and the pace/tone of it all.

Edited by AkronsWitness

okay so I just finished, and boy am I conflicted. 

On the one hand, the cinematography, the dialogue, the acting, it was all very good. On the other, this wasn't so much a show as it was a strange collection of stories. It's like they couldn't decide to do a problem of the week show or an actual through line plot from start to finish. In reality this was 2 or 3 full seasons of a show (The "prisoner" arc, the "tools" arc, and the "vortex" arc) plus a few OVA style episodes (Shadowing Death and My friend the immortal) all rolled into one season of a show like they wanted to make sure they got all their favorite stuff in just in case it was one and done. What it really did was make everything thing feel a bit rushed and anticlimactic. It also forced all the "villains" to be less than ideally fleshed out. Even the Corinthian, who appeared in almost every episode and lasted until the finale, was underdeveloped, especially from a motive perspective. We heard that he wanted to be free of Morpheus's rule, but we never really even got exposition for the why let alone some good development behind it. Even at the end for him all we got was him saying, "I am just being the me you made me to be". Cool. Compelling. While the diner episode was cool AF it wouldve been even cooler if we knew John better and had an understanding of his psyche going in. Each "end" was so... bleh. He escapes because a wheelchair smudges his circle. He beats John because John succeeded but by doing so he made Morpheus "more powerful than I've been in eons".

Overall, I liked the content, but man they shouldve stretched it out. There is no real "fight" in this, and that is fine, but when that is the case tension is key. Instead of building the tension through 10 episodes they cut the tension into bit size pieces and then released it periodically throughout the show. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

okay so I just finished, and boy am I conflicted. 

On the one hand, the cinematography, the dialogue, the acting, it was all very good. On the other, this wasn't so much a show as it was a strange collection of stories. It's like they couldn't decide to do a problem of the week show or an actual through line plot from start to finish. In reality this was 2 or 3 full seasons of a show (The "prisoner" arc, the "tools" arc, and the "vortex" arc) plus a few OVA style episodes (Shadowing Death and My friend the immortal) all rolled into one season of a show like they wanted to make sure they got all their favorite stuff in just in case it was one and done. What it really did was make everything thing feel a bit rushed and anticlimactic. It also forced all the "villains" to be less than ideally fleshed out. Even the Corinthian, who appeared in almost every episode and lasted until the finale, was underdeveloped, especially from a motive perspective. We heard that he wanted to be free of Morpheus's rule, but we never really even got exposition for the why let alone some good development behind it. Even at the end for him all we got was him saying, "I am just being the me you made me to be". Cool. Compelling. While the diner episode was cool AF it wouldve been even cooler if we knew John better and had an understanding of his psyche going in. Each "end" was so... bleh. He escapes because a wheelchair smudges his circle. He beats John because John succeeded but by doing so he made Morpheus "more powerful than I've been in eons".

Overall, I liked the content, but man they shouldve stretched it out. There is no real "fight" in this, and that is fine, but when that is the case tension is key. Instead of building the tension through 10 episodes they cut the tension into bit size pieces and then released it periodically throughout the show. 

Part of the problem is that this is how the comics were. It was a series of story arcs or one off stories. 1-5 was one, 6 was a standalone, and 7-10 was a separate story arc.

I did want to clarify certain things. The smudge in episode one was deliberate by the guy’s husband. Probably because he felt bad about Dream being imprisoned for so long. Turned out it was a bad idea since Dream holds a grudge.

John lost because he mistook the Fates’ prophecy about crushing Dream. He shouldn’t have crushed the ruby. Essentially he returned Dream’s powers back to him since the ruby contained his essence. I guess I understood John’s psyche and thought it was one of the better character development. He was lied to his entire life and connected it with what was wrong with the world. He literally tried to used the ruby to remove all lies but in doing so also destroyed people’s hopes and dreams.

59 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Part of the problem is that this is how the comics were. It was a series of story arcs or one off stories. 1-5 was one, 6 was a standalone, and 7-10 was a separate story arc.

When has any other comic adaptation gone by issues and not arcs?

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

I did want to clarify certain things. The smudge in episode one was deliberate by the guy’s husband. Probably because he felt bad about Dream being imprisoned for so long. Turned out it was a bad idea since Dream holds a grudge.

It doesn't change my opinion of it. Still a silly thing. 

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

John lost because he mistook the Fates’ prophecy about crushing Dream. He shouldn’t have crushed the ruby. Essentially he returned Dream’s powers back to him since the ruby contained his essence. I guess I understood John’s psyche and thought it was one of the better character development. He was lied to his entire life and connected it with what was wrong with the world. He literally tried to used the ruby to remove all lies but in doing so also destroyed people’s hopes and dreams.

I don't think it matters why he crushed the ruby, it felt anticlimactic regardless IMO. We get snippets of John's history through a conversation with his mother, then get his honesty stick from a conversation with rosemary, and then thats it. Two conversations and the character is developed. Again, just stretch that arc into season 1 and you give yourself plenty of time to flesh out the characters and BUILD TENSION. We got one episode showing us what John was capable of with the ruby and then BAM, he f'd up and was gone. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

When has any other comic adaptation gone by issues and not arcs?

It doesn't change my opinion of it. Still a silly thing. 

I don't think it matters why he crushed the ruby, it felt anticlimactic regardless IMO. We get snippets of John's history through a conversation with his mother, then get his honesty stick from a conversation with rosemary, and then thats it. Two conversations and the character is developed. Again, just stretch that arc into season 1 and you give yourself plenty of time to flesh out the characters and BUILD TENSION. We got one episode showing us what John was capable of with the ruby and then BAM, he f'd up and was gone. 

I agree that they really should have spent the first season on the first arc alone. And then just have episode 10 aka the final episode be what transpired in episode 6. 

On 8/20/2022 at 4:49 PM, Xenos said:

Netflix probably gave Gaiman more creative control. Hopefully the second season looks better.

Second season? 
https://www.avclub.com/the-sandman-might-not-get-a-second-season-on-netflix-1849439520

Gaiman, the writer of the comics that Sandman is based on, explained on Twitter that it’s “a really expensive show” in response to a fan asking why a second season hasn’t been announced, and he also reminded his followers to “encourage all your friends to watch Sandman” and to “encourage all your friends who have begun to watch Sandman but got distracted by life to finish watching Sandman.”