GTD: Week 1 vs 49ers (Regime Debut -- Rebuilding the Tower Begins) AKA Capt Trey Lance Debate

JAF-N72EX

22 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

Agree, but for it to used to discredit a player.....just be better than that. Anyone who has ever spent time on a team understands leadership comes from within the group and it's not always the guy with the C that does it.

I've spent time on teams.  guys that perform best, guys that others believe in most, esp to start a season are named Cs 

it doesn't mean TL will be a total bust but it does mean that his his teammates are not as confident in him as you are  

1 hour ago, SLCbear said:

I've spent time on teams.  guys that perform best, guys that others believe in most, esp to start a season are named Cs 

it doesn't mean TL will be a total bust but it does mean that his his teammates are not as confident in him as you are  

Their captains are Kittle, Trent Williams, Warner, Ward, Armstead and Bosa. All but Bosa are multi-year captains. For argument’s sake, is it reasonable for a 2nd year QB with 2 starts to unseat a vested captain from the role or to make captain ahead of an established superstar like Bosa? I wouldn’t think so, adding additional captains to make sure TL was a captain would cheapen what being a captain means IMO.

I have no idea how Lance is viewed by the team, but I feel very comfortable saying that not having a C on his jersey doesn’t keep him from exhibiting leadership. Really all it does is keep him from coming out for the coin toss. 

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Epyon said:

Don't be shocked if you see the Bears in 2 TE sets or 2x RB sets (or both 2xTE and 2xRB sets) much of the game.

This is what I expect as well.  Alot of heavy set motions to use as an extra blocker or chip blocks and break off to give Fields an outlet and/or check down option when the mid to deep routes aren't there. 

Worth noting, GB ran alot of 12 personnel last year (2nd most in the league) and that was without Tonya for half season. These were mostly used in the run game (43/57 Pass/Run rate) and were mixed up well on early downs to keep defenses off balance (37% on 1st down, 33% on 2nd, 6% 3rd down, 9% on 4th--not counting GL formation).

I have mixed feelings about this. One hand I'm all for doing whatever it takes keep Fields upright, but I just don't want these types of sets to become the norm either because the more skill players you use to block, the less targets there are for Fields and it puts them at a big numbers disadvantage in creating space.  Using this too much was one of my complaints with Nagy.

Put the lineman to the test. They gotta be able to win upfront without help at times.

Edited by JAF-N72EX

53 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Their captains are Kittle, Trent Williams, Warner, Ward, Armstead and Bosa. All but Bosa are multi-year captains. For argument’s sake, is it reasonable for a 2nd year QB with 2 starts to unseat a vested captain from the role or to make captain ahead of an established superstar like Bosa? I wouldn’t think so, adding additional captains to make sure TL was a captain would cheapen what being a captain means IMO.

I have no idea how Lance is viewed by the team, but I feel very comfortable saying that not having a C on his jersey doesn’t keep him from exhibiting leadership. Really all it does is keep him from coming out for the coin toss. 

This is a fair and valid assessment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Jimmy Garoppolo is one of the seven team captains for the 2021 season. On Wednesday, the 49ers announced their seven team captains for the upcoming season.Sep 10, 2021

1st bold in your comments   YES if he is real deal

2nd its more than a cointoss, JG had a C on his jersey

Edited by SLCbear

4 minutes ago, SLCbear said:

Jimmy Garoppolo is one of the seven team captains for the 2021 season. On Wednesday, the 49ers announced their seven team captains for the upcoming season.Sep 10, 2021

1st bold  YES if he is real deal

2nd its more than a cointoss, JG had a C on his jersey

Jimmy G became a team captain there in 2019, his 3rd year with the team, and then quarterbacked them to the Super Bowl with a 13-3 record. He was a 3rd year captain in 2021. Apples and oranges.

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I care about how players perform on the field....not who is wearing a C on their jersey. To me it's a none issue.

Never forget.....this guy had a C on his jersey too....

Cutler was like a 7x captain for the Bears and his leadership was constantly under question by both the media and the fan base. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Yeah, just about every player has talked about Cutler's lack of leadership. The guys you listed....Adams....Olin.....heck even Forte, and you know he's not the usual type to talk down on anyone.

slat2lz7v5d61.jpg

Edited by JAF-N72EX

29 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Yeah, just about every player has talked about Cutler's lack of leadership. The guys you listed....Adams....Olin.....heck even Forte, and you know he's not the usual type to talk down on anyone.

slat2lz7v5d61.jpg

was he voted  captain every season prior to the season  ??

yes or no