GTD: Week 1 vs 49ers (Regime Debut -- Rebuilding the Tower Begins) AKA Capt Trey Lance Debate

JAF-N72EX

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

what you are citing here are all very recent articles ....well after the fact. looks like the urlacher one is the only one during the actual time period 2014, the rest are 2019 and newer 

was he voted captain prior to the season every time or not  ??

Edited by SLCbear

46 minutes ago, SLCbear said:

was he voted  captain every season prior to the season  ??

yes or no 

Voted? No.  Not under Lovie for sure.  Lovie didn't leave the captains to a team vote, he hand picked them. Well he used to anyhow, not sure about now.

Not all coaches leave it up to the players.

Edited by JAF-N72EX

3 hours ago, SLCbear said:

what you are citing here are all very recent articles ....well after the fact. looks like the urlacher one is the only one during the actual time period 2014, the rest are 2019 and newer 

was he voted captain prior to the season every time or not  ??

The disrespect for 6 as a leader within the locker room became public later, but it obviously existed then. Hester, Forte and Marshall aren’t outing Cutler publicly as a poor leader while he’s their QB. They’d be hurting themselves in the process. 

I think you’re making way too big a deal out of this TL captain thing. Especially since this hill you’re willing to die on doesn’t even involve a guy on our team. SF has a locker room full of established veteran leaders. And like I said before, TL not wearing the patch on his jersey does not prevent him from being a leader. At all. 

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

The disrespect for 6 as a leader within the locker room became public later, but it obviously existed then. Hester, Forte and Marshall aren’t outing Cutler publicly as a poor leader while he’s their QB. They’d be hurting themselves in the process. 

I think you’re making way too big a deal out of this TL captain thing. Especially since this hill you’re willing to die on doesn’t even involve a guy on our team. SF has a locker room full of established veteran leaders. And like I said before, TL not wearing the patch on his jersey does not prevent him from being a leader. At all. 

noone is saying he can't be a leader, I'm saying the guys around him don't fully believe in him 

if JF played for SF he would have been voted Captain  

8 hours ago, SLCbear said:

noone is saying he can't be a leader, I'm saying the guys around him don't fully believe in him 

I think you should keep you adopt a Bear sig line all season, see how it plays out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SLCbear said:

A player’s leadership qualities are wholly separate from his football ability. Marcus Mariota, Daniel Jones, Carson Wentz and Jared Goff are all team captains in 2022. Do you really think that has anything to do with the team’s belief in their QB talent? Cody Whitehair was voted a captain by the Bears players. Do you think that’s because of the team’s belief in his abilities as a guard?

15 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

A player’s leadership qualities are wholly separate from his football ability. Marcus Mariota, Daniel Jones, Carson Wentz and Jared Goff are all team captains in 2022. Do you really think that has anything to do with the team’s belief in their QB talent? Cody Whitehair was voted a captain by the Bears players. Do you think that’s because of the team’s belief in his abilities as a guard?

AZ, when was the last time a benchwarmer was voted captain? It says SOMETHING about the teams faith in the player.  Not sure what, but it says something.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

AZ, when was the last time a benchwarmer was voted captain? It says SOMETHING about the teams faith in the player.  Not sure what, but it says something.

Impossible for me to know everyone's captains of course without really digging into it...but Shanny's first year, he named Aaron Burbridge a captain of the 49ers which was pretty funny (they named captains super early that year for some reason and he ultimately never played in a single game that year) 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

Impossible for me to know everyone's captains of course without really digging into it...but Shanny's first year, he named Aaron Burbridge a captain of the 49ers which was pretty funny 

Im guessing he was a special teams standout? Nagy had Houston-Carson as a captain last year. He's good but i was pretty annoyed about Santos not getting the C. 

Granted, with what we had between Gould and Santos I am pretty favorably biased to Santos too. Lol

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Sure, usually bench players aren’t captains unless they’re ST leaders. That wasn’t the point. His implications are that not being captain means they don’t think he can play, and that being a QB they think can play means he should almost be a captain by default, and I don’t think either of those is accurate at all. 

15 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Im guessing he was a special teams standout? Nagy had Houston-Carson as a captain last year. He's good but i was pretty annoyed about Santos not getting the C. 

Granted, with what we had between Gould and Santos I am pretty favorably biased to Santos too. Lol

He was a second year player who played special teams. Not sure I'd call him a standout 😂 when he retired, he was noted as being  "wide receiver and special teams contributor" lol. He only played in 2016. Mostert was really the special teams star back then but wasn't able to really play in 2016. I think they just got it wrong in 17 and thought it would be burbridge

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SLCbear said:

idk man roster voted here for Cs, same as SF ...both have been with organizations exact same amount of time. TL was named starter very early this season

Lance wasn't named the starter until just before camp. There was an underlying sentiment that he would be the starter, but publicly it wasn't said until they reported. Now, what was said behind closed doors? Who knows. Fields has a more starts and in all honesty the Bears don't have anywhere near the veteran leadership the Niners have on their roster. 

18 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Their captains are Kittle, Trent Williams, Warner, Ward, Armstead and Bosa. All but Bosa are multi-year captains. For argument’s sake, is it reasonable for a 2nd year QB with 2 starts to unseat a vested captain from the role or to make captain ahead of an established superstar like Bosa? I wouldn’t think so, adding additional captains to make sure TL was a captain would cheapen what being a captain means IMO.

I have no idea how Lance is viewed by the team, but I feel very comfortable saying that not having a C on his jersey doesn’t keep him from exhibiting leadership. Really all it does is keep him from coming out for the coin toss. 

Exactly this. It means absolutely nothing. It doesn't justify how the team does or doesn't feel about anything. It simply proves that those guys that are the C's have tenure and production.

16 hours ago, SLCbear said:

Jimmy Garoppolo is one of the seven team captains for the 2021 season. On Wednesday, the 49ers announced their seven team captains for the upcoming season.Sep 10, 2021

1st bold in your comments   YES if he is real deal

2nd its more than a cointoss, JG had a C on his jersey

Except JG wasn't a C for 2 of the years he was the starter. That pokes a giant hole in your entire reasoning.