GTD: Week 1 vs 49ers (Regime Debut -- Rebuilding the Tower Begins) AKA Capt Trey Lance Debate

JAF-N72EX

17994552009.gif  @ 364.gif

San Francisco 49ers (0-0)   Chicago Bears (0-0)

Date:  Sunday Sep 11, 2022

Start Time:  1:00pm EDT

Stadium:  Soldier Field

TV: FOX

Over/Under: 41 SF -6.5

Last 5 Matchups
Oct 31, 2021 @ CHI 22, SFO 33
Dec 23, 2018 CHI 14, @SFO 9
Dec 3, 2017 @ CHI 14, SFO 15
Dec 4, 2016 @ CHI 26, SFO 6
Dec 6, 2015 @ CHI 20,
SFO 26

San Francisco 49ers lead all-time series 35-32-1

Injury Report

pyiMJty.png

Head to Head Matchup
N/A until week 5

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJjb250ZW50Lmhzd3N0YXRpYy5j

Predictions/Game Summaries

CBS Sports: 49ers 28, Bears 17

Tyler Sullivan writes: "The 49ers should be looked at as a considerable favorite against Chicago. The Bears have a new head coach and a second-year quarterback that is lacking go-to weapons around him, so 2022 may be another down year as they continue this rebuild. San Francisco was also 8-4 ATS on the road in 2021."

Pro Football Network: 49ers 27, Bears 13

Jason Katz writes: "Unlike the aforementioned Jets, the Bears have done next to nothing to help their sophomore signal-caller. Fields’ WR1 is Darnell Mooney, and his WR2 and WR3 are Byron Pringle and Equanimeous St. Brown. The only wide receiver Chicago drafted was 25-year-old special teamer Velus Jones Jr. A touchdown is a heavy price to lay on the road, but I just have no confidence in the Bears this season."

Bookies.com: Take the under in 49ers vs. Bears game

Bill Speros writes: "The 49ers, Deebo Samuel, and Jimmy Garoppolo remain stuck with each other – at least as of this writing. The situation has not changed since early this offseason. The Bears hired Matt Eberfus as head coach. He brought in a new offensive and defensive coordinator. The 49ers reached the NFC title game before blowing a 10-point lead to the Rams. Samuel wants a trade while the Niners want to trade Jimmy G. Garoppolo continues to heal from offseason shoulder surgery and could well be moved once he is deemed fully healthy."

Fansided: Bears 23, 49ers 20

Matt Verderame predicts that Chicago will defeat San Francisco in Week 1 of the NFL season at home.

Walter Football: Go with the 49ers vs. Bears in Week 1

It writes: "The 49ers are the play because the Bears are absolutely dreadful. I'll be shocked if they're not a bottom-three team this year."

ESPN: 49ers have a 72.4% chance to win

The site gives the Bears a 27.3% chance to pick up the victory in Week 1.

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 1

2 months ago I thought this was an easy loss. I'm not sure why I still don't think the same, but SF being a 7 point favorite seems high to me especially with the rumblings of the team not being 100% sold on Lance all of a sudden. I love Shanahan's offense and I think even if Lance stinks their run game could shred the Bears. I also think SF's defense is still pretty damn good

I'll say 23-17 Niners

12 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

2 months ago I thought this was an easy loss. I'm not sure why I still don't think the same, but SF being a 7 point favorite seems high to me especially with the rumblings of the team not being 100% sold on Lance all of a sudden. I love Shanahan's offense and I think even if Lance stinks their run game could shred the Bears. I also think SF's defense is still pretty damn good

I'll say 23-17 Niners

It's been bouncing around from 6.5 to 7, depending on the hour, which tells me a lot of people don't have much confidence in the spread.

ec4rTBA.png

3 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

By the way @JAF-N72EX before we inevitably start hating each other by week 2, can we agree as usual that PFF sucks but also that Walter Football is somehow worse and in the future we never use anything they predict again? :)

Fair to say Walter football doesn't have the best track record but I don't know about being worse than PFF lol.  I'll keep it mind though. 

I actually agree with Walters take in this case though. I think 49ers cover the spread. Something like 27-17.

4 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

It's been bouncing around from 6.5 to 7, depending on the hour, which tells me a lot of people don't have much confidence in the spread.

ec4rTBA.png

I was on a bit of a forum hiatus when sports gambling became legal in IL, but I’m surprised there isn’t more talk about it on the forum. Is it against the rules? 

Edited by AZBearsFan

Count me in the pool that thinks the SF -7 line is a bit inflated, for a few reasons:

-What exactly our offense will be being a bit of a mystery plays to our advantage

-We actually have the more experienced QB

-The old shoulder chip

"He's gonna, you know, prove everything that everybody doubted him on, especially Week 1, that team passed on them," Mooney told reporters (H/T NBC Sports Chicago's Josh Schrock). "So they're going to have to pay a little bit for that."

-The Bears have listened to everyone for 6 months tell them they’re a **** team, and while that may ultimately play out to be true over the course of the season, there’s a lot of pride on the line here, especially early in the season when everyone is still in it record-wise. 

Now, does that translate into a win? I’m not convinced it will. SF has more talent. But, I think this will be a competitive game late, which would mean we’ll have a chance to win. I think the Bears cover the 7 points. Whether they win or not will come down to which team makes more mistakes. 

I could just be drinking the Kool aid, but I think a bears dominant win is actually more likely than any 9ers victory. 

Lance will make mistakes, and I'm very high on this secondary/defense. Additionally crazy things tend to happen in week 1 and everyone (including the 9ers) is basically writing us off. 

I don't think it's gonna be a high scoring game, unless the defense gets a score too, but 17-6 bears

17 hours ago, Epyon said:

I could just be drinking the Kool aid, but I think a bears dominant win is actually more likely than any 9ers victory. 

Lance will make mistakes, and I'm very high on this secondary/defense. Additionally crazy things tend to happen in week 1 and everyone (including the 9ers) is basically writing us off. 

I don't think it's gonna be a high scoring game, unless the defense gets a score too, but 17-6 bears

How do you know the 49ers are writing the Bears off?

Definitely true that weird things happen in week 1. I remember the Bucs beating the Saints with Fitzmagic in week 1 and the Saints ended up going 13-2 the rest of the way. 

On 9/5/2022 at 12:35 PM, beardown3231 said:

I'll say 23-17 Niners

49ers defense should be a top 3, at worst top 5 unit this season. They are loaded and super deep. Only issue in the early going will be the safety play with Jimmie Ward out for the first four weeks with a hammy injury. Aside from that, they do not have any weaknesses. 

I predicted a 27-10 win in the Niners forum a few days ago. I may end up being proven wrong but I do think the Niners should win in a comfortable margin. 

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Surpised he isn’t a permanent one.

i'm not. seems like the team went 2 offense and 2 defense. JF1 is the obvious choice, but CW65 has been with the team longer, a probowler, and has a captains voice among a young offensive line. i'd rather do this than what some of the other teams are doing - some of them are at 9 or 10 total captains