GTD: Week 1 vs 49ers (Regime Debut -- Rebuilding the Tower Begins) AKA Capt Trey Lance Debate

JAF-N72EX

6 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I've seen a few posters. I don't go into other forums but I don't see anything wrong with it either. 

It's good to hear different opinions and perspectives from different fan bases, especially from fans of the team the Bears are going to play, after all that's what the forum is for. Even if they are a bit defensive about their team. Seemingly every fan is.  Hell, we do it too.

When I started this thread I was going to tag @Forge and @N4L to join in and share their opinions but I thought it was too early at the time. But right now seems good.

I compared Lance to Mitch Trubisky before the draft but I think if anyone can get the most out of Lance it's Shanny.  I like the approach Shanny took with him last year by sitting him instead of throwing him into the fire like the Bears did with Mitch. We'll see.

To clarify I don't care about other teams' posters discussing football here, but when they come in here and defend their team and favorite player to no end, it's just kind of weird. If we're so unintelligent, why are they here? Come in here when the Niners inevitably win and talk s***. Now? It's kind of weird. It's not like the 10 posters here are the only ones questioning Lance and his leadership. 

14 hours ago, clarkfn2284 said:

It's a forum. People come into other team forums to discuss. When blatantly obscene statements are made people are going to question it. Especially when they are spoken in absolutes like quoted above. You have guys in here talking about how the teams haven't practiced the same. Saying this without seeing a single second of the other teams practices. Creating a narrative of how captains got named being indicative of how an organization feels about a player. Without spending a single second around the team. Its regurgitation of the same tired and lazy reporting by people like Peter King who make statements about a team switching their QB by week 6 because he went to 1 single camp practice.......If you want to say that a player being out is going to hurt a teams chances that makes sense. If you want to question how good a rookie QB or young starting QB will be then fine, but pontificating on flat BS is worthy of people calling it into question.

It’s fine.  Post away.  I can take it.  I have been super busy at work so I haven’t had a lot of time for back and forth.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, clarkfn2284 said:

A few things of note here.

Agree that IOL is a question for the 49ers, but Trent Williams is that LT you're talking about and he is the best LT in the game. PFF numbers or not.

I said the LT was good.  What do you want?  Their LT is a deity.  

Lance being suspect is complete conjecture. He hasn't shown an inability to do anything at the position in his 2 starts. 

Neither has he shown ability.   Plus the team through their actions are not displaying great confidence in him.  That makes him suspect.  Do you know what suspect means?  

Shanahan isn't creating the defensive gameplan. The 49ers and Demeco run their defensive scheme, regardless of what the other team is doing. They are going to focus on keeping everything in front of the S position and trust that the front 4 will get home. This year we will see more man and more DB's up at the line with the addition of Charvarious Ward.

The HC, who knows the opponents offensive scheme inside and out, has no input or insight whatsoever into game plan.   The HC on most teams is involved in game plan for defense and offense.   They have many meetings.   That is how coaching staff's function.  

How many practices of the 49ers have you been too? Where do you get the information about how physical or not physical practices have been? Giving vet days off is something every single team does and every single year a team that does that wins.

I can extrapolate from articles of beat reporters for both teams.   Do you attend every practice?  I work for a living and it isn't for the Chicago Bears though I am open to them hiring me.   I have been to Bears practices and they have been extra physical with a young team as they are trying to instill a culture and playing starters extended preseason minutes.   Whereas SF has been more focused (like most every teams) on keep their guys healthy.    I would say it is reasonable assumption without attending every teams practice that it is a safe bet that Bears have had more physical camp and spring camp than probably all but a handful of teams.   

17 hours ago, clarkfn2284 said:

The relevance you place on anyone being named a C when there are 6 of them on a team is lunacy. 6 guys. Go look at who they are. Look at the tenure. You're wanting it to be more than it is. It's weird. I can guarantee you anyone not grasping at straws couldn't care less about who the C is on these teams. Go win games, regardless of there being a C on your chest or not. This isn't hockey where that C means the World.

I can tell you who it isn't.   It isn't your starting QB.  When your starting QB, who isn't a rookie, isn't in top 6 of captains that is relevant.

If it wasn't relevant you wouldn't be bristling.   And you know it would be relevant if Fields wasn't named a captain.  You are irrationally defending your guy.  Doesn't mean he can't be good or won't be good.   But if he was balling all Spring and Summer, there is no way he doesn't have that C.   

You are a 7 point favorite on the road.   That is about has big as it gets in NFL.   It's like being a 10 pt. favorite on a neutral field.   I don't know what you are worried about.   It should be a cake walk.

14 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I mean your QB cares, that makes it a story.  The fact that they brought back Garoppolo and made him the backup, without having played a single snap, including practice all offseason.  That's a story.  On top of that his teammates didn't vote him a captain, when the QB is named captain almost by default.  That's a story.  Will it matter on Sunday, probably not, but all that does speak about.how the team feels about Lance.

And on the topic of conjecture and speculation have you Deen the narratives being peddled about the Bears this year, your talking to the wrong fanbase on that issue.

Edited by clarkfn2284

10 hours ago, SLCbear said:

Can you think of one thing TL does better than JF  ?? I can't 

Without sitting in the QB room it is always hard to tell. Looking at the tape, he processes better and he has better pocket presence. I would argue he runs into less sacks as well, but the film is very limited on Trey.

10 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I've seen a few posters. I don't go into other forums but I don't see anything wrong with it either. 

It's good to hear different opinions and perspectives from different fan bases, especially from fans of the team the Bears are going to play, after all that's what the forum is for. Even if they are a bit defensive about their team. Seemingly every fan is.  Hell, we do it too.

When I started this thread I was going to tag @Forge and @N4L to join in and share their opinions but I thought it was too early at the time. But right now seems good.

The only opposing team GDT I really go into would be the Packers, mostly because I talk to so many of those guys outside of team forums. And that is only before the game starts. I typically don't visit once the game is going on. If people have honest, objective questions to ask about the team, I may step in and answer, but trying to debate subjective stuff like that which is going on in here right now would just annoy me too much lol. I don't think that you're going to get very much in that conversation besides some hostility 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I mean your QB cares, that makes it a story.  The fact that they brought back Garoppolo and made him the backup, without having played a single snap, including practice all offseason.  That's a story.  On top of that his teammates didn't vote him a captain, when the QB is named captain almost by default.  That's a story.  Will it matter on Sunday, probably not, but all that does speak about.how the team feels about Lance.

And on the topic of conjecture and speculation have you Deen the narratives being peddled about the Bears this year, your talking to the wrong fanbase on that issue.

Breaking news......Trey Lance has a goal of being a team captain. That's literally all that was said. That isn't a story. JG being brought back as a backup is indicative of how JG is viewed around the league. Teammates didn't vote for Deebo either or Nick Bosa his first 2 seasons. Look at the guys that were voted as Captains before you believe BS.

10 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I compared Lance to Mitch Trubisky before the draft but I think if anyone can get the most out of Lance it's Shanny.  I like the approach Shanny took with him last year by sitting him instead of throwing him into the fire like the Bears did with Mitch. We'll see.

I agree with this. The Niners are talented. There was no reason to rush Trey into things imo. Let him try and learn how to do the week to week part of being a pro and then cut him loose with a full camp as the QB1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I can tell you who it isn't.   It isn't your starting QB.  When your starting QB, who isn't a rookie, isn't in top 6 of captains that is relevant.

If it wasn't relevant you wouldn't be bristling.   And you know it would be relevant if Fields wasn't named a captain.  You are irrationally defending your guy.  Doesn't mean he can't be good or won't be good.   But if he was balling all Spring and Summer, there is no way he doesn't have that C.   

You are a 7 point favorite on the road.   That is about has big as it gets in NFL.   It's like being a 10 pt. favorite on a neutral field.   I don't know what you are worried about.   It should be a cake walk.

Again, it doesn't mean anything. You said as much, but you want it to. It's weird that you are so interested in it. I don't think for a second it would be relevant if Fields wasn't a C, at least not for me. I didn't even know that he was. That is how irrelevant that really is. I'm sure the media would love to feast on that, but ultimately it doesn't matter. It's almost like you are bitter that Fields got killed by the media and you want the same for the others in his draft class? I honestly don't know the perception of Fields as a player in the media because I don't follow anything regarding the Bears. I know he has talent, I know he lacks talent around him and I know he has to buck the perception of being an Ohio St QB. Other than that, Im sure he is fine. I just don't believe the team is that good overall. However, a lot of what is perceived is because of Matt Nagy being an absolute butthole of a HC and I think that stain is still on the team. The Mooney/Monty/Kmet trio is a really solid base to build from. I just don't see how a C on a jersey plays a role in how a team views a guy who is starting in his first full season as QB1 after only 2 starts. It's a literal non story inside the walls.

42 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

Breaking news......Trey Lance has a goal of being a team captain. That's literally all that was said. That isn't a story. JG being brought back as a backup is indicative of how JG is viewed around the league. Teammates didn't vote for Deebo either or Nick Bosa his first 2 seasons. Look at the guys that were voted as Captains before you believe BS.

Honestly, if TL balls out, then this will be a non-issue and you guys are set for a while. However, @dll2000 is only stating with a lot of people are thinking. This wasn't a narrative that he created on his own and it is reasonable from an outsider's perspective to come to a similar conclusion. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/trey-lance-kyle-shanahan-react-to-49ers-starting-qb-not-being-voted-one-of-six-team-captains-for-2022-season/

https://www.ninersnation.com/2022/9/8/23342196/49ers-news-in-five-why-trey-lance-not-being-a-captain-matters

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2022/09/07/49ers-name-team-captains-qb-trey-lance/

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/09/07/kyle-shanahan-on-trey-lance-not-being-a-captain-its-his-first-year-starting/

There are many more outlets that did articles about this issue. The point is, fair or unfair, it is a topic of discussion, and not something that we just desperately created here in our forum.

Edited by Bigbear72
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

There are many more outlets that did articles about this issue. The point is, fair or unfair, it is a topic of discussion, and not something that we just desperately created here in our forum.

This is the correct way to look at it, fwiw.  It was always going to be a juicy story to talk and write about, just like when they brought Jimmy back. If you're a niners fan, you 100% should have expected this to be a talking point regardless. That was probably the most annoying thing about it. 

But Mac Jones wasn't a captain of the Pats last year and I didn't hear a peep about it and I honestly didn't know that until just a few days ago. I mean, does anyone really pay attention to the team captains of other teams? That's just weird lol. Sometimes, it's just a useless honorific. Carson Wentz's "leadership" has been one of his biggest knocks, yet he's a captain. Sometimes, these are titles that are given to QBs, "just because".  That just sort of dilutes the title, tbh. Sometimes it means something to the team and the coach and a player has to earn it. Trey has played two games and it arguably the least experienced starting QB in history if you go all the way back to high school. If you're a team that wants him to earn it...well, he certainly hasn't earned it on the field. If the team wants him to earn it first, it doesn't mean that they don't have faith in him. They did not name a QB captain in 2017, and Jimmy G wasn't a captain in 2018 either if I remember right. 

It matters if the person wants it to matter, but it was always going to be a story. Can't avoid that. Kyle knows it too. He acts so aggravated when these things become a story and it's like, "bro, how else did you think this was going to look?". 

I can give perfectly valid reasons for the captaincy thing or the jimmy thing that have nothing to do with their faith in Trey just as anyone can make a case that it does matter.  

• Like 1