Dak Needs Surgery… Will be out a while

The_Slamman

22 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

It’s better than last year though, like 5/6 people would go before Pickett. Bunch of guys who could rise as the season goes to be that 3rd guy who goes in the top 6/8.

This past seasons QB class was simply less polished than years prior, IMO, but was much more talented with a lot more future potential than others. This upcoming class will have more polish. But less future potential. But its still early, we will see how things play out as 2022 comes to a close and we have a clearer picture.

Problem is, when its a Qb buyers market, fancy skill sets like big arms, ideal size and physical toughness get drafted way higher than their actual talent or polish should dictate. I spoke at length about this on this forum in the year Wentz and Goff went 1 and 2, that the need for QBs had decent prospects being rated as franchise builders because of how hard they can throw or how productive they were in a favorable offense (Goff) or because their physical gifts could potentially turn them into a football legend (Wentz) despite neither really possessing the polish or talent of previous first overall QBs. When the demand is high and supply quite low, Qbs get over hyped and over drafted.

But in years like this past one, when there were fewer teams at desperate need and position groups with some real potential superstars (such as WR) it pushes the QBs down and the hype trains only go so far.

I wouldnt say 5 passers would go before Pickett from this upcoming class...but what I will say, as teams like NYG realize they arent holding an answer at QB and others, like maybe our own Dallas team, realize they may need a future answer quite sooner than later, it will push those QBs higher and higher and increase the speed of that hype train.

4 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Honestly...I am just so sick of this coaching regime, offensively. Kellen has Jason Garrett disease, abandoning the run too easily and too early. McCarthy needs to intervene as the boss, and just fails to do so while completely mismanaging game situations. 

Doug Nussmeier continues to screw up mobile passers by making them play like old fashioned 6 foot 4 pocket passers and does not really seem cut out for teaching NFL players at all, as he barely seemed cut out for doing it in the NCAA. This RB rotation is not really a rotation, is it, Skip Peete? These young receivers under Robert Prince really havent grown at all. Have they?

I get that Dak was off. And that popular criticism in Football and in this fanbase is to hate on the quarterback. But this entire offensive staff clearly has an issur going back to last seasons opener.

I mean. If most of that staff is qualified to coach an NFL team. Then may as well hire me. I have HS and College coaching experience and was/is considered a wash up failure, too.

You forgot Joe Philbin’s inability to develop our younger Olinemen. I’ve wanted him gone since last year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, textaz03 said:

You forgot Joe Philbin’s inability to develop our younger Olinemen. I’ve wanted him gone since last year. 

Didnt forget, thumbs just got tired. 😆

But you are right. Biadasz still looks more or less similar to how he did in his first few starts. The triumvirate at LG the last few years has been as poor and lackluster as it did right before Ron Leary held it down for a couple seasons. And although Steele has been steadily improving and Tyler wasnt horrible, the unit as a whole often looked completely out of sync to boot, which detracts away from even one of better of players in the league whos stuck playing in that kind of a unit (Martin).

The entire offensive staff really just has been atrocious at times, inconsistently dominant and inconsistently bad, everywhere from preparation and to playcalling and cohesion. And it starts with a boss with no leadership skills in McCarthy.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

The entire offensive staff really just has been atrocious at times, inconsistently dominant and inconsistently bad, everywhere from preparation and to playcalling and cohesion. And it starts with a boss with no leadership skills in McCarthy.

Eluded to this a little in the game ball thread. Top to bottom the offensive side is a disaster. A first to worst offense doesn’t seem very far out of the question.

Edited by WizardHawk

9 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Eluded to this a little in the game ball thread. Top to bottom the offensive side is a disaster. A first to worst offense doesn’t seem very far out of the question.

Well, thats an easy assumption with its top passer gone for half a season. But overall, the offense - not just yesterday, but going back to last seasons opener - has been painfully inconsistent and lacking for cohesion. Because the numbers passing were so inflated last year, on the surface Kellen Moore has looked like a genius. And he is certainly an aggressive and creative offensive mind - But his offense at times is just plain empty despite productivity.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Didnt forget, thumbs just got tired. 😆

But you are right. Biadasz still looks more or less similar to how he did in his first few starts. The triumvirate at LG the last few years has been as poor and lackluster as it did right before Ron Leary held it down for a couple seasons. And although Steele has been steadily improving and Tyler wasnt horrible, the unit as a whole often looked completely out of sync to boot, which detracts away from even one of better of players in the league whos stuck playing in that kind of a unit (Martin).

Don’t forget the big boss with no football skills: Joan Rivers, himself.

On 9/12/2022 at 1:05 AM, Kiltman said:

You think they’d burn it down and trade Dak?

They won't trade him.  If a franchise QB is there and Dallas has said QB ranked correspondingly you draft him.  Dak walks when his contract is up.  Seamless transition.  I know it's a pipe dream.  I don't know what salaries for upper tier QB's will be when Dak's current deal is up but it will be cap challenging.  Think about how far Dak's salary could go to filling other needs.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Northland said:

They won't trade him.  If a franchise QB is there and Dallas has said QB ranked correspondingly you draft him.  Dak walks when his contract is up.  Seamless transition.  I know it's a pipe dream.  I don't know what salaries for upper tier QB's will be when Dak's current deal is up but it will be cap challenging.  Think about how far Dak's salary could go to filling other needs.

This is why I wanted Willis so badly when he fell out of the first. Those traits are so nice to groom into a franchise caliber player. And if he doesnt pan out or Dak re-ups for another few years, he is at best trade bait and at worst you spent only a 2nd or 3rd on a backup QB, which isnt very different from having selected Trystan Hill or Kelvin Joseph or whomever else we have spent those picks on who never see the field.

3 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

This is why I wanted Willis so badly when he fell out of the first. Those traits are so nice to groom into a franchise caliber player. And if he doesnt pan out or Dak re-ups for another few years, he is at best trade bait and at worst you spent only a 2nd or 3rd on a backup QB, which isnt very different from having selected Trystan Hill or Kelvin Joseph or whomever else we have spent those picks on who never see the field.

I am not anti Dak per se.  I just don't think at this stage of his career we will see him improve.  I can't justify sinking more funds into him when his contract is up.   It's like Michael Corleone said in The Godfather - it's not personal.  it's business.  It would be nice to see the organization with some leverage.  

3 hours ago, Northland said:

I am not anti Dak per se.  I just don't think at this stage of his career we will see him improve.  I can't justify sinking more funds into him when his contract is up.   It's like Michael Corleone said in The Godfather - it's not personal.  it's business.  It would be nice to see the organization with some leverage.  

I am actually one of those who believe Dak, like Romo before him, does not get nearly as much due as he deserves. 

That said, Dak is nearing that point in his career where diminishing returns are possible, injuries may be easier to happen and harder to return from, and yet his cap hit will exceed a healthy % of cap space year by year. Grooming an eventual replacement with the skillset of a kid like Willis, or even if he never panned out for a 2nd round pick, would suit me just fine. Meanwhile Dak can continue to roll out with the team until his contract is up or is extended depending on his play and health.