2022 GDT Week Four Da Steelers Vs. Da Jets

Steeler Hitman

2 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

We've played some quality D-lines too. Obviously not the class of the NFL, but the Bengals, Browns, and Jets have quality D-lines. 

Yea.  It highlights my issue with PFF of creating a narrative and doing everything they can to keep it going for years.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

You can tell he is because there was a comment on a podcast about looking to “normalize” those numbers based on DL quality. IIRC the direct line was “some OL grades are really benefiting from playing weak DLs”, followed by “like who”, then “just look at our preseason rankings and you can come to the conclusion.”

PFF analysts are the kings of: "Well, the numbers are what they are" and also "yeah, but the numbers are not telling the whole story". 

Monson really annoyed me last year with the TJ vs Myles Garrett thing. He said MG playing the Steelers twice was a valid excuse for lower numbers, but said of TJ missing a 3 games worth of quarters that "availability is a trait". 

Your numbers either tell the story or they are a part of the story. They can't be both when you feel like it. 

4 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Austin ready this week? At worse let’s see what Sims can do.

I can't imagine it'll be Austin. I don't think Tomlin will trust the rookie playing his first game. I think we see Austin make his debut soon, but I doubt it'll be this week as the returner. Obviously, I wish it were Austin as most other fans probably do. I just see it being Sims. That's exciting anyway. I think Sims played about as well as Gunner in the pre-season. 

Calvin Austin only had 31 total returns in college. I don't think he is a candidate for the PR job, but maybe KR -- I mean, Najee Davenport was our returner one year. 

Gonna be interesting to see how things shake out roster wise. When Austin comes back all three are not staying. I could see them giving Sims the helmet this week and if he does well, Gunner is the cut candidate. 

24 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I can't imagine it'll be Austin. I don't think Tomlin will trust the rookie playing his first game. I think we see Austin make his debut soon, but I doubt it'll be this week as the returner. Obviously, I wish it were Austin as most other fans probably do. I just see it being Sims. That's exciting anyway. I think Sims played about as well as Gunner in the pre-season. 

From that quote I have a hard time seeing them not make some sort of change. Honestly wouldn’t hate putting DJ back there but he doesn’t exactly have the best ball security either. 

• Like 1

It's gonna be Sims.  IIRC we have a DB with return skills, but Tomlin doesn't like that (and I get the logic).  Austin would be fun back there, but he was learning it as "in emergency" during camp.  I think drafting a RB/WR who was a KR/PR guy in college is an underrated need.

3 minutes ago, August4th said:

Israel Abanikanda out of Pitt could fill that role

Wouldn't mind him.  Gunner was that too.  But I'm just kinda tired of trying to fill this role with guys who didn't really do it much in college.  Just get a guy who did a ton of returning, showed to be a gadget guy, and deal with the fact it might be a "dead" roster spot of a limited guy.

28 minutes ago, warfelg said:

It's gonna be Sims.  IIRC we have a DB with return skills, but Tomlin doesn't like that (and I get the logic).  Austin would be fun back there, but he was learning it as "in emergency" during camp.  I think drafting a RB/WR who was a KR/PR guy in college is an underrated need.

Sutton returned kicks in college. Is he the guy you're thinking of?