What's going on??

Mid Iowa

I've been traveling a lot so I haven't been able to watch any games yet. So, what the hell is going on with our Saints?

Is this just a "we're learning Pete Carmichael's system" or are we lacking talent on offense? Winston has passing yards, but we aren't scoring at a pro level. 

So, what's up?

Game 1 our OL sucked for a half then we got it together.

Game 2 we were making it a defensive game since the Bucs D is good and Winston had 4 fractures in his back then the Refs walked Brady down the field for a TD and the offense imploded giving up a bunch of turnovers.

Game 3... our defense made some early mistakes and it was a struggle with Winston having 4 fractures in his back.

Also lots of interceptions/fumbles have been happening.

Oh and our OL has been shaky at times outside of the 1st game as well.

• Like 1

Wouldn’t say it’s a talent issue. On paper our offense is about as talented as it has ever been (outside of QB). Sloppy execution and shooting ourself in the foot has been very apparent the past couple weeks.

A costly fumble by Ingram against the Bucs shifted momentum completely. Kamara followed suit this past week with a costly fumble that led to a defensive touchdown for the Panthers.

We aren’t a team that is going to have a lot of success if we are chasing games consistently. That is when we will see Winston force things and turnovers will build up quickly. 

I’m hoping Kamara and Winston get on the same page this week. Getting him involved in the pass game should hopefully take some of the pressure off Winston. Kamara was open several times last week, but Winston just wasn’t able to connect with him including a walk in touchdown if Winston doesn’t overthrow him.

• Like 1

Winston can't throw short, neither can Taysom.  At least they haven't  done so yet during their time with the Saints.  It's pretty comical to watch if youre not a Saints fan.  Sean Payton even mentioned several times last year how bad we are at screens, ironic considering our history.  So I don't know if we can count on those short Kamara passes like we used to shred teams with.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2022 at 10:24 AM, SteelKing728 said:

You guys don't have GDTs?

Not anymore. Last year there were about 2-4 of us in here on game day, and this year there's about 1 person visiting per week. 

Basically, this specific thread serves as the GDT for the first 3 games.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2022 at 2:18 PM, tyler735 said:

I’m hoping Kamara and Winston get on the same page this week. Getting him involved in the pass game should hopefully take some of the pressure off Winston. Kamara was open several times last week, but Winston just wasn’t able to connect with him including a walk in touchdown if Winston doesn’t overthrow him.

I'm not certain this chemistry is going to happen anytime soon. Winston didn't practice Wednesday or Thursday, and Kamara is clearly distracted by the Vegas thing (which just got delayed again).

As Madden said, 90% of the game is half mental.