Comeback Player of the Year 2022 winner?

TecmoSuperJoe

25 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Drew Brees didn't really comeback from anything in 2004. As in, he was previously an unremarkable player, and even got benched in 2003 for old man Doug Flutie because he was stinking it up so bad. But then he won it the following year, and never looked back. Tommy Maddox and Jon Kitna also had similar narratives when they won it, basically getting praise after having their first (and only) banner year. They were never good before. Geno can certainly win since the CBPYA's qualifications aren't that crisp. I think Ryan Tannehill would be the latest rendition of this award after winning it in 2019 in Tennessee while being previously unremarkable with the Dolphins. 

The difference is that those guys, while never great beforehand, were at least known starters across the league. Geno started a full season once, nearly a decade ago. Didn’t even finish out his rookie contract, the guy’s essentially a career backup. Like, if Chase Daniel or Brian Hoyer were having good seasons somewhere, they wouldn’t really be comeback players either, not even by the loosest of definitions.

13 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

The difference is that those guys, while never great beforehand, were at least known starters across the league. Geno started a full season once, nearly a decade ago. Didn’t even finish out his rookie contract, the guy’s essentially a career backup. Like, if Chase Daniel or Brian Hoyer were having good seasons somewhere, they wouldn’t really be comeback players either, not even by the loosest of definitions.

Tommy Maddox had started a grand total of 4 games over the course of 4 years before he had the season where he won it. He was also out of the league for 5 years selling insurance before he had another chance to play ball at the pro level. If he can win it, Geno certainly can I'd say. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

8 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Tommy Maddox had started a grand total of 4 games over the course of 4 years before he had the season where he won it. He was also out of the league for 5 years selling insurance before he had another chance to play ball at the pro level. If he can win it, Geno certainly can I'd say. 

Maddox is an exception in that sense, but the fact that he was out of the league for so long only to return and help Pittsburgh win the division adds more to the story than it does detract from it. 

Even if you want to ignore the context in Maddox’s case, I’d say the precedence for the vast majority of previous winners are not career backup players.

2 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

Comeback from what? I don’t think comeback means most improved. It’s a player is good…something happens them from being good…then they “comeback” to being good. Barkley is the easy answer here 

I dunno man, it means whatever the voters want it to mean. Tannehill won it a few years ago and he was never good. Alex Smith wasn’t good when he won it, everybody was just impressed that he still had two legs. The definition is ambiguous.

• Like 2