State of the Steelers

warfelg

3 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Ramsey at 17 vs Sutton at 13? 

drooling GIF

A)You know the year 1 cap hit of a Sutton deal wouldn’t be $13 mill..:with the way the Steelers do contracts it would probably  be roughly $6.5 mill.

B) You’re also giving up draft assets..:probably at least pick 32 if not more.

So yes…

Sutton at $6.5 mill year 1 contract hit/pick 32/roughly $10.5 mill more in cap room which was enough to get 2 solid starters last year(Cole and Daniels)….over Ramsey at $17 mill.

Trading picks and cap room for a proven player is something you do a year or 2 from now…not this offseason.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AFF said:

A)You know the year 1 cap hit of a Sutton deal wouldn’t be $13 mill..:with the way the Steelers do contracts it would probably  be roughly $6.5 mill.

B) You’re also giving up draft assets..:probably at least pick 32 if not more.

So yes…

Sutton at $6.5 mill year 1 contract hit/pick 32/roughly $10.5 mill more in cap room which was enough to get 2 solid starters last year(Cole and Daniels)….over Ramsey at $17 mill.

Trading picks and cap room for a proven player is something you do a year or 2 from now…not this offseason.

Also, Ramsey would want a new contract within the next two years, and that contract would take him into his 30s.  So...

Giving up 1st round value + him very likely wanting a new contract by 2025 that would likely make him the highest paid corner + pushing 30 YO + we are not in win now mode and not a CB away from competing with the Bills and Chiefs = HARD pass.

Much like I said to 3rivers....this is a deal that MIGHT make more sense next year. 

Right now, us trading for Ramsey would be a very Dan Snyder-ish move.

18 minutes ago, 43M said:

Right now, us trading for Ramsey would be a very Dan Snyder-ish move.

painful observation.  Lets hope this doesn't happen. Still hope CB1 at 17 if they let Sutton walk. Get Mauch for OL after unless they sign Dillard in UFA, but maybe then as well

20 hours ago, warfelg said:

I would. Easily. Linderbaum, Woolen, Stroud is much better than Kenny, Austin, and whatever those picks will be along with the extra cap this year and cap space next year. 

Why/how are you swapping Calvin Austin for Woolen in this scenario? 

“Whatever those picks” lol you make it sound like we are throwing in a couple day 3 picks. We are talking about THREE 1st round picks (including 32), a 2nd and a 3rd. That could be a franchise LT, Cam replacement, #1 CB of the future, Diontae Johnson replacement, and NT of the future….all for Linderbaum and to upgrade from KP to Stroud? HARD pass

If we are talking about a prospect like Caleb Williams or Trevor Lawrence, sure. I like Stroud but it’s far from a guarantee he ends up having a better career than Kenny. And for all that draft capital? No thanks.

Sounds like Munchak is looking to get back into coaching and had some really good things to say about working for Tomlin and the Steelers organization. I know we have an o-line coach and OC but I don’t care. Pull something like they did with Flores and bring him on as an assistant head coach/run game coordinator role or something. 

• Like 2

1)  Hindsight is 20/20.   Its easy to look back and pick out the players that had good rookie years and say we should have drafted them instead.

2)  Stroud is a better PROSPECT than Kenny was.  We wouldn't be in position to get him.   I wouldn't trade three 1sts to get him, either, which is likely what it would take.    Stroud aint THAT good.

3 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Sounds like Munchak is looking to get back into coaching and had some really good things to say about working for Tomlin and the Steelers organization. I know we have an o-line coach and OC but I don’t care. Pull something like they did with Flores and bring him on as an assistant head coach/run game coordinator role or something. 

Id love to have Munch back, but Pat Meyer did a great job in 2022.   I would still take Munch, but Im happy with Meyer right now.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 43M said:

Id love to have Munch back, but Pat Meyer did a great job in 2022.   I would still take Munch, but Im happy with Meyer right now.

My suggestion was to add him to that staff while keeping Meyer on board. The article mentioned he was interested in coming here to replace Klemm but it was after Meyer was hired.

1 hour ago, 43M said:

1)  Hindsight is 20/20.   Its easy to look back and pick out the players that had good rookie years and say we should have drafted them instead.

2)  Stroud is a better PROSPECT than Kenny was.  We wouldn't be in position to get him.   I wouldn't trade three 1sts to get him, either, which is likely what it would take.    Stroud aint THAT good.

Part one I agree with 100%

part two, I agree that stroud isn’t that good to trade up for. My personal feelings towards Ohio state QBs is their way over rated due to the talent they have at WR. 

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

bring him back in some capacity. Our OL coach did well last year, so I doubt they replace him. Still, Munchak was great  so bring him back.  

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

Assistant HC Munch if he wanted to come back. He doesn’t have to be the OL coach. Make up titles. Call him the Supreme Leader of the Galactic Kingdom for all I care. Get good people in the building. 

exactly. Never know if Meyer takes a job elsewhere, but if he does, the new/old OL coach is already here and we are set. Meyer did great last year so he stays. Just make up a new title for Muchak as you said, good idea