State of the Steelers

warfelg

2 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

A position change isnt going to help Green much.  His footwork and anchor strength are embarrassing.   Unless those are fixed, his best position is the bench or maybe the XFL.

The others....who knows.

• Like 1

- Witherspoon could be cut after the draft (saves 3mill)

- Dotson most likely player to be traded during draft, especially if IOL is drafted early. Saves 1.8mill if cut

- Montravius Adams likely cut in TC if NT is taken early 

- Also mentions Gunner and Steelers very likely to draft a WR but I think we all know he most likely will not make it anyway

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

- Also mentions Gunner and Steelers very likely to draft a WR but I think we all know he most likely will not make it anyway

I think every sane Steelers fan would rather have Boykin than Gunner. I was at first pumped when we signed Gunner because I thought he was a good returner and a good cover guy. Turns out he actually stinks as a returner and he’s largely non-existent as a coverage guy. Give me Boykin. While he’s nothing on offense, he provides great kick coverage. I really hope Austin can learn how to return punts. That’s easier said than done, though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

- Dotson most likely player to be traded during draft, especially if IOL is drafted early. Saves 1.8mill if cut

I think Witherspoon is pretty much boned…even if they still like him, he’s a FA after this season just like Wallace is(who I’d be signing to an extension this TC)…and Peterson will be 34 at that point to…I’d be amazed if they don’t add a CB by 49.

Dotson might snag a 5th or 6th.

Adams being cut saves something like $2 mill.

I’m guessing Boykin comes back regardless post draft…Gunner is gone if they draft one by end round 4.

Edited by AFF

11 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Id keep Witherspoon unless we are super tight.   $3m is nothing and we arent likely going to find anything better with $3m post draft.

I seriously doubt NT is taken early.

It was beyond stupid to let Steven Sims walk.   Now we're back to having no decent RS.   Thats the only chance Gunner has, unless we foolishly overdraft a WR/RB/RS  gadget player again.

Witherspoon CB2 seems decent for the cap, why cut the player. Maybe trade him if you can but I would keep him and hope he rebounds and is healthy. 

Dotson will probably be gone and Adams could be if they get some more players.  

They could have saved more cap by trading mitch but instead people are looking to other players for cap relief.  The thinning out will be done in a few weeks.  The offseason has been interesting anyways, lots of activity for us fans. 

Edited by 3rivers

imagine if we win more , canada stays.  Not sure how we go far with him as OC. I can see a better record but only so much then the canada effect takes over. 

Out of all the signings, the major offseason tranasction we wanted was to fire canada.

9 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

imagine if we win more , canada stays.  Not sure how we go far with him as OC. I can see a better record but only so much then the canada effect takes over. 

Out of all the signings, the major offseason tranasction we wanted was to fire canada.

we let haley go after going 13-3 with one of our best offenses in the ben era

54 minutes ago, August4th said:

we let haley go after going 13-3 with one of our best offenses in the ben era

and we keep canada?  Maybe we need KP to complain about canada  if thats the only hope. 

Edited by 3rivers

4 hours ago, 3rivers said:

what do you think ?

If he’s healthy I would swap our 4th for a 6th for him. Has only played 25 games in 3 seasons but finally showed some serious flashes early in the season last year. He shutdown Justin Jefferson in week 3 which was impressive but idk how he finished the season and I’m not sure of the status of his 5th year option.

A 3rd is way too rich with the talent in this CB class though. 

• Like 1

I both agree and disagree. Slot WR is an underrated need but I also think we will be towards the bottom of the league in 11 personnel.  A stud blocking TE2 who is also a threat to catch passes could be just as useful as an upgrade to slot WR. 

Edit: After doing some digging we were ranked 9th in the NFL in 11 personnel with Canada last year. How much of a philosophy shift we see next year can be debated. I personally would like to see less of it with a shift towards ground and pound. Get a TE who can be a mauler in the run game but also motion over to the slot if you have a matchup you like. 

Just spitballing here, would be interested to hear some thoughts on slot WR vs TE2 upgrade.

Edited by bigben07MVP
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

If he’s healthy I would swap our 4th for a 6th for him. Has only played 25 games in 3 seasons but finally showed some serious flashes early in the season last year. He shutdown Justin Jefferson in week 3 which was impressive but idk how he finished the season and I’m not sure of the status of his 5th year option.

A 3rd is way too rich with the talent in this CB class though. 

Okudah to Falcons for a 5th, about the same value I projected.

I think this makes it almost a lock Detroit goes corner at 6. Less likely one of the top 3 will be there at 17.