State of the Steelers

warfelg

I don't think this team has as many dire needs as you keep stating @3rivers

We need talent at CB and OT, but neither of them are immediate needs. We need ILB, but we could also get by with our current guys and ILB is not a blue chip position and can be had later, EDGE depth, TE depth, WR depth, IOL depth are all just depth needs. I think we're actually in a pretty good spot to trade up for blue chip guys. If we can come away with a guy like Wright and someone like Banks, JPJ, or Forbes, we'll be in a really good position. We can add depth at SS, ILB, TE, WR, IOL, QB later in the draft or FA. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jebrick said:

So Steelers getting 2 1st rounders.  Hmm in that case I would guess it would be for Brodrick Jones at 12 mainly because I would be surprised if Paris Johnson is there at 12.

So would that rate DJ's trade value as a high 2nd round pick?

Early 2nd/late 1st. 

I think it’s hard to pass up that value. I get a sense DJ hasn’t been super happy here because the QB situation all his career and he could walk soon for nothing. 

2 minutes ago, AFF said:

If you trade DJ, you almost have to pick a WR with 1 of 12/17/32.

I mean…

12)LT Broderick Jones

17)JSN

32)BPA on defense

What if you go:

BJones at 12

Move down from 17 to like 21 and take Banks

Cedrick Tillman at 32

Sanders at 49

Edited by warfelg

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

What if you go:

BJones at 12

Move down from 17 to like 21 and take Banks

Cedrick Tillman at 32

Sanders at 49

You wouldn’t have 49 based on your trade rumor.

I didn’t factor in another trade back.

Tillman is growing on me but I think he’s more of a big slot in the future…just my thoughts.

I'm full on the replace Chuks over Moore bandwagon. Chuks started last season well but finished with a whimper. Moore actually got a lot better as the season went along. I've also been dabbling with the thought of seeing what we can get for Chuks. He's young, athletic, and on a fairly affordable deal for multiple years. I could see getting a useful pick for him. 

• Like 1

Just now, AFF said:

You wouldn’t have 49 based on your trade rumor.

I didn’t factor in another trade back.

Tillman is growing on me but I think he’s more of a big slot in the future…just my thoughts.

I used that as a potential trade back place holder. 

I think the chances of DJ getting traded are slim to none.    He was mediocre at best last year, and everyone knows it.   Perhaps some team will view that more as a result of poor coaching and QB play, but I doubt.

If he does get traded...I doubt its for more than 3rd rd value.

If Im wrong....and trust me, I hope I am....Ill gladly eat all the crow you guys can serve me.

3 minutes ago, 43M said:

I think the chances of DJ getting traded are slim to none.    He was mediocre at best last year, and everyone knows it.   Perhaps some team will view that more as a result of poor coaching and QB play, but I doubt.

If he does get traded...I doubt its for more than 3rd rd value.

If Im wrong....and trust me, I hope I am....Ill gladly eat all the crow you guys can serve me.

I think you're wrong on that one. I know it's probably an outlier, but we got a 2nd rounder for Claypool. He hadn't done anything worthwhile since his rookie year, and even then most of his production came from manufactured touches. We can at least get a 2nd for DJ. I think he's probably also rated higher by other teams than he is by us. We have to see his crippling drops. They just see his freaky shiftiness. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think you're wrong on that one. I know it's probably an outlier, but we got a 2nd rounder for Claypool. He hadn't done anything worthwhile since his rookie year, and even then most of his production came from manufactured touches. We can at least get a 2nd for DJ. I think he's probably also rated higher by other teams than he is by us. We have to see his crippling drops. They just see his freaky shiftiness. 

I also know I’m low on DJ but calling him mediocre at best is a massive put down. His best is top 15-20 in the NFL. His worst is one of the better WR2’s in the nfl. We’ve seen a complete bust continue to bust and be traded for a 1st. 

• Like 1

Bringing back Matt Canada for continuity than trading a top two receiving target doesn't make a ton of sense, IMO. Neither does trading up in a draft that doesn't have a lot of elite talent. Hence the reason I wouldn't be very excited about this. 

I don't think this makes sense for Houston either -- a team rumored to be skipping taking a QB at 2 for a guy they like better like Levis later or completely wasting the year to get a better guy like Caleb Williams or Derek Maye. They aren't a DJ away from doing anything and will pay as much over 4 years for a rookie WR than they would for Johnson in one year.

I'd love to see us move back from 17 or 32 and pick up an extra top 80 pick.  But I am not that interested in moving assets to get higher in a draft that feels like it has comparable players available a bit later. 

1 minute ago, Dcash4 said:

I'd love to see us move back from 17 or 32 and pick up an extra top 80 pick.  But I am not that interested in moving assets to get higher in a draft that feels like it has comparable players available a bit later. 

It depends on who we're looking at. I don't think we can find an OT or a CB in the later rounds that have the potential of Wright or Witherspoon/Gonzo. Maybe Dawand Jones later fills in for Wright, but his weight is scary. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

But also, why would Houston trade 12 for DJ, when they can just take JSN at 12? That's my biggest hangup. 

Maybe they don’t like him. I wonder is some of this is to set up everything else then come in next year and give up everything they can for Caleb Williams and just treat it as a “let’s go”. 

Something I’ve read a bunch about is there’s about 10-15 teams that view JSN as a slot only. Texans need an outside guy. 

Edited by warfelg
  • Like 1