State of the Steelers

warfelg

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Make sure he is better than Moore or Chuks before throwing him to the wolves.

Cam might be a better test but does not have the speed of Garrett.  TJ and the others do not have the length.

lets not have another Mike Adams vs Jared Allen debacle.  

17 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I'm very interested to see how they treat Broderick and the LT competition this off-season. Maybe it will be easier because he is 21 and doesn't have a ton of exposure, but James Daniel is a pretty good player and his learning curve with our OL coach's teaching was pretty steep. 

I don't like the way Tomlin and staff handled the QB "competition" last off-season and I think you can make a pretty good argument that it directly lead to missing playoffs (we could have won 1-2 more games if Kenny was just THE guy the whole time). 

I don't want to see Broderick working on the right as the swing if he is ultimately the LT in waiting and I don't want to see Moore purely taking snaps at LT as a placeholder who will need to be the swing and hasn't played the right side of the line since he was a freshman. 

how do you want them to play out the OT's for the 23 season

5 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

how do you want them to play out the OT's for the 23 season

Best case scenario: Jones is the guy from the jump and gets full snaps at LT while that gives Moore the ability to take full snaps at RT and fill the need as a swing or push Chuks for the job. 

Worst case scenario: Jones starts as the swing (instead of concentrating reps to one side), Moore is LT only but loses the job mid-season to Jones. Moore wouldn't have worked on the right and will need to learn on the fly (not great) and Jones will be committing to one side too late (which is fine, but could be further along with full reps at one spot). 

The answer is probably somewhere in the middle. I would like to see them start Moore at LT, but give him the second team RT snaps. But that's admitting to him that LT isn't his anymore and it's Jones job eventually. Tomlin couldn't be honest with Mason Rudolph last year, so I'm hesitant to believe they would do that. 

After signing Mason, the Steelers can get like $22M in cap savings by cutting non-roster changing dudes. I am not saying they will, but that's an incredible amount of money out there at this stage to either go get someone impactful or carry over to the next season. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

After signing Mason, the Steelers can get like $22M in cap savings by cutting non-roster changing dudes. I am not saying they will, but that's an incredible amount of money out there at this stage to either go get someone impactful or carry over to the next season. 

I'm excited to see how the market shakes out during TC. We'll see if Khan keeps some of KC's magic in that regard. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

That rollover is what I want.

You can sign Highsmith long term and not have a major impact on the cap for at least several seasons.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, AFF said:

That rollover is what I want.

You can sign Highsmith long term and not have a major impact on the cap for at least several seasons.

agree, sign Highsmith with mitch and witherspoon cap space and not even notice a difference.