State of the Steelers

warfelg

14 hours ago, warfelg said:

I feel like the words in Fowlers reports of “he wants to just coach” was interesting and insightful. 

Does that mean he does not like the issues of dealing with his coordinators and position coaches?

21 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Does that mean he does not like the issues of dealing with his coordinators and position coaches?

No clue.  It just seemed like a very specific set of words to be used.  That's why I speculated that maybe he didn't want to spend too much time in scouting/personnel decisions.

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

No clue.  It just seemed like a very specific set of words to be used.  That's why I speculated that maybe he didn't want to spend too much time in scouting/personnel decisions.

Perhaps the Steelers need to hire more scouts.

I don't only want a quality OC, but bring in quality depth on the coaching staff. Do what they did with the GM search. hire a guy for a OC role and hire the guy who finished 3rd in the interview process for a different role on offense.

Edited by August4th
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Kaboly has reported it will definitely be an outside hire.

I’m trying to trace it but I think a majority of our defensive staff are outside hires without ties to the franchise. Austin was with the Bengals, Lions, Ravens before coming here. Grady Brown was plucked from college coaching. Aaron Curry was Seattle through and through. Dunbar was a Steelers draft pick but never played here, coached with the Vikings, Jets and Bama before us. Denzel Martin never coached before coming here. 

Interesting dynamic when comparing to the offense where it’s a bunch of retreads and guys with ties to the team historically. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, August4th said:

I like how the niners staff has two former head coaches, a bunch of young guys + old vets coaching

although a lot of staffs would look great with the talent they have

For the most part you can look at the side of the ball the HC comes from for where that mix is. Most defensive coaches either trust someone they’ve worked with or an established in house OC; and vice versa. I think McVay has had 3 DCs but they are all former HC DCs. Ditto for Andy Reid. Then look at Pete Carroll and his OCs were all guys with offensive liniage or were in house. 

22 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I’m trying to trace it but I think a majority of our defensive staff are outside hires without ties to the franchise. Austin was with the Bengals, Lions, Ravens before coming here. Grady Brown was plucked from college coaching. Aaron Curry was Seattle through and through. Dunbar was a Steelers draft pick but never played here, coached with the Vikings, Jets and Bama before us. Denzel Martin never coached before coming here. 

Interesting dynamic when comparing to the offense where it’s a bunch of retreads and guys with ties to the team historically. 

Maybe they wanted to keep continuity on the offense (for some reason) rather than overhauling everything. It wasn't the right choice, clearly, but it might be an explanation. 

I think the Steelers under Tomlin have needed some fresh ideas/concepts for a while, on both sides of the ball. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, C$! said:

Maybe they wanted to keep continuity on the offense (for some reason) rather than overhauling everything. It wasn't the right choice, clearly, but it might be an explanation. 

I think the Steelers under Tomlin have needed some fresh ideas/concepts for a while, on both sides of the ball. 

I mean, outside of Austin and Dunbar most that defensive staff has been here 3 years or less.  So clearly someone in the decision making is clear and comfortable with outside concepts.  This even ignores the "bring in Flores because he's god" because he left after a year.

So it's rather curious as to why the offense is stuck in the mud with it.

And the defense has adapted over time.  They run a hybrid defensive front but need better talent on the DT positions.  It has worked because Cam can play both the run and the pass well.  That is going away.   So you either need another DT that can play the run and pass well or get a "fat body" in there to stuff up the run lanes while you search for your other Cam.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, C$! said:

the team keeps regressing IMO.  They need major changes, being outscored 66-0 in the 1st quarter of the last 5 playoff games is enough, time to move on. Something is wrong,  just start over

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

the team keeps regressing IMO.  They need major changes, being outscored 66-0 in the 1st quarter of the last 5 playoff games is enough, time to move on. Something is wrong,  just start over

The Steelers come out to play clock control football and other teams come out to run up some scores.  I feel that the Steelers expect other teams to do the same things as well rather than attack the middle of the field with TEs up the seams because the team you are playing against is playing ILBs that were hired off the couch 3 weeks ago.