State of the Steelers

warfelg

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

I am not a fan of Fields overall. He can make athletic plays and all that but to me that could also lead to many injuries. Also, can he make the passes when it's clutch time?   Not sold on him at all, and now way would I give up much to get him.

Amen_TV_Series-455370160-large.jpg 

You are preaching to the choir Pastor. He has not done in three full seasons enough to fully separate from another prospect who has 1 3/4 games experience and poor circumstances around him. Not saying Pickett is the answer, I do think he can be. However, if you are going to work with him, work with him. If not cut bait and bring in a better prospect. Not sure who much better if any Fields is to Pickett.

Agree with @43M, RD2 pick would be as high as I would go.

I would rather try to trade a player than a draft choice. We then would be investing a #1 and #2 on a QB and we have two, but still have openings at OT, Center, WR and that's not including defensive upgrades needed.

As for the gimmick player, seems like that's what Tomlin likes, goes well with his slogans, cliche's and word salad and of course W-L record in recent years.

usa_today_18359713.0.jpg

Who me???? Keep kicking Tomlin at every corner. No doubt he liked Fields, but he won't make that decision without permission, support, or being told to accept it.

Considering just how bad Mitch was here, to call Fields Mitch.2 is quite an insult or at least that's how I see it. 

I certainly try not to be insulting. Maybe a little sarcastic and humorous, but I don't mean to insult. I meant that we were going to the Bears cast-off QB's that failed there. It didn't work with Mitch. If you recall, I was against this signing as well. I don't want to keep doing the same things and expecting different results. That's called insanity. I would and will support any coaches and players to Steelers Nation, even if I don't necessarily think that they are best for the team. In the end, I'm just a fan.  

If Tomlin likes Fields that much, then watch him tell Khan to get him at all costs. Tomlin is on the hot-seat and getting desperate. 

Agree that he is on the hot seat and I will add it is not completely unwarranted. I don't think that he gets fluttered to the point of desperation. I think his patience is dwindling (especially with the media), but I don't see him going out of his character and out-right dumping Kenny for Fields. I think he's hitched his wagon to Kenny. I don't think anyone besides Kenny and his family have as much support for Kenny as Coach Tomlin.

I certainly could be wrong. I have no insider information, strictly my opinion.

adam-schefter.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&s

2 hours ago, 43M said:

Maybe "gimmick" isnt exactly the right word, but he certainly isn't a QB Id ever trust to win games with his arm in the NFL, especially against better teams who know how to gameplan against his mobility.    Take that away and youre essentially left with...Kenny Pickett. 

I'll say what I said before...Fields will usually offer us mainly two results;   1)  the games where he and the running game dominates and we rack up 400+ yards and 2)   the games where opposing teams shut down the running game and force Fields to win with his arm, which I have zero faith he can actually do outside of rare occasions.

Im  personally not willing to give up more than a 3rd for a QB who, if you take away his mobility, wouldnt be worth more than maybe a late rounder.

Fields has an incredible NFL arm and can make all the throws. What holds him back is everything upstairs. He is an extremely slow processor and has trouble getting past his first and second read. He also has a horrible habit of turning bad plays into really really bad plays. The argument for trading for Fields would be that Arthur Smith could coach him up and fix these issues. That is a massive gamble to make for a QB heading into his 3rd year and with basically 1 year to figure it out before you have to make a decision on paying him a ton of money. Teams will undoubtedly use this in negotiations.

On the other hand, you have a lot of desperate teams that need a QB with upside. All in all I think I agree with you. Fields is far from a sure thing, but his upside and the idea of him excelling in a run heavy Arthur Smith offense is enticing.  I’ve said all along my price would be a 2024 3rd and a 2025 4th that could move all the way up to a 2nd if Fields wins a playoff game, makes the pro bowl etc. Again, even that is a risk but it is a risk I would take to avoid a Pickett/Tannehill or a Pickett/Rudolph QB room.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

What holds him back is everything upstairs. He is an extremely slow processor and has trouble getting past his first and second read

then he isn't the player you want to trade for or draft. Move on.

but, tomlin is desperate. He had a HOF QB and usually elite to really good defence carry him all these years. Now the team is actually his, his players and culture and it's failing miserably.  He hopes a QB like Fields  can save the day. Problem is the HC though, so changing everything else won't matter much unless a legit QB is brought in. 

bills tabbed as landing spot for trubisky  xD

this is one player I will observe as time goes on, his stats when he plays will be something to see.  He was that bad IMO, I can't believe teams will consider him.  Maybe it was just a bad fit here, he just seemed to have no confidence, competitiveness or leadership and most of all not many wins as a starter. 

39 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

Justin Fields doesn't excite me at all.

modern era kordell stewart, but here now without top tier defence and OL. Good luck, but this is a tomlin move to save tomlin because thats all that can save him is if a QB really makes the difference. 

Maybe in Smiths offence Fields can be really good, I just can't see him winning with passing once a team takes away the run.  Usually QB's that can do this are known to be able to do that when they are in NCAA, it's not something they learn vs NFL teams

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

modern era kordell stewart, but here now without top tier defence and OL. Good luck, but this is a tomlin move to save tomlin because thats all that can save him is if a QB really makes the difference. 

Maybe in Smiths offence Fields can be really good, I just can't see him winning with passing once a team takes away the run.  Usually QB's that can do this are known to be able to do that when they are in NCAA, it's not something they learn vs NFL teams

Honestly...i.dont even think he is as good as Stewart. I don't think he has a much better arm than Pickett, he is more athletic however. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DR43 said:

Should the Steelers sign Matt Araiza? 

BSC said he was cleared, so why not sign him ?  Or does he have to be dog killer ?  If he was cleared only, no need to bring in a player still tangled in legal issues and if there is baggage .

2 hours ago, VigilantZombie said:

I am hopeful we cut Mason Cole, Damontae Kazee, Allen Robinson, Larry O, & Patrick Peterson also due partly to the cap savings but also for roster quality.

I don’t think they’ll cut Kazee…you only save $3 mill plus they have nothing behind him.

Larry O probably stays due to DL depth behind him and Cam being in question.

Agree on Cole/Robinson/Peterson.

45 minutes ago, AFF said:

I don’t think they’ll cut Kazee…you only save $3 mill plus they have nothing behind him.

Larry O probably stays due to DL depth behind him and Cam being in question.

Agree on Cole/Robinson/Peterson.

Not having anything behind Kazee and Having Kazee is the same thing.

9 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Fields has an incredible NFL arm and can make all the throws. What holds him back is everything upstairs. He is an extremely slow processor and has trouble getting past his first and second read. He also has a horrible habit of turning bad plays into really really bad plays. The argument for trading for Fields would be that Arthur Smith could coach him up and fix these issues. That is a massive gamble to make for a QB heading into his 3rd year and with basically 1 year to figure it out before you have to make a decision on paying him a ton of money. Teams will undoubtedly use this in negotiations.

On the other hand, you have a lot of desperate teams that need a QB with upside. All in all I think I agree with you. Fields is far from a sure thing, but his upside and the idea of him excelling in a run heavy Arthur Smith offense is enticing.  I’ve said all along my price would be a 2024 3rd and a 2025 4th that could move all the way up to a 2nd if Fields wins a playoff game, makes the pro bowl etc. Again, even that is a risk but it is a risk I would take to avoid a Pickett/Tannehill or a Pickett/Rudolph QB room.

I dont think anyone would argue with that assessment.   Fields is obviously an extremely gifted ATHLETE.   Unfortunately, I feel thats all he will ever be.    If I felt like there was an even DECENT chance he could br fixed, I would be okay with a 2nd or even first rd pick, despite the flaws.

But, considering what he has shown thus far and how very rarely trades like this work out (on the player end, at least), the absolute highest I could stomach is a 3rd.   If Atlanta or another team want to go for broke...have at it.   

Despite what some may say, I dont feel like this team is a QB away...yet.    Id much rather build the team this year,  maybe get Tannehill to compete with Kenny, then look into getting getting a QBotF next offseason.

If we traded a 1st or even 2nd for Fields, that probably locks us in for 2 or 3 years with a guy whose chances of being a long term NFL starting QB are, in all likelihood, very slim.

• Like 1