State of the Steelers

warfelg

5 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Supposedly, (former Steelers scout Matt Williamson) we are targeting 3 solid WRs: Stefon Diggs, Deebo Samuels, and Brandon Aiyuk. 

Aiyuk is 26 years old and is a tremendous route runner. His blocking ability is almost Hines Ward's level. He's the one I want the most out of those three,

I have not been keeping track of UFA as much as others here and WR is a need. 

Clearly, I would opt for Aiyuk  as the clear #1 here  unless Jefferson is also available. Aiyuk doesn't have recent injury concerns but Samuels seems injured often. Diggs could be drama waiting to happen, so forget that.  If Aiyuk is similar to Ward, then Smith should be pounding the table of Aiyuk. 

Is Aiyuk UFA or have the 49ers given him the 5th year option.  Just get him and be set with GP at WR.  Maybe Khan trades Ogunjobi and Moore and picks to SF for Aiyuk :ph34r:

then get a CB (Howard or Sneed) opposite Porter and this team should be ready to get real for a change.  Howard could be a steal, and get a draft pick  CB . 

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

5th year option decision is due in May.  I would assume they are picking it up.  Khan would be amazing if they would extend Fields now for cheaper money but it takes 2 to tango

Most in the media are saying the opposite.  IMO, it could go either way.  I think if Khan/Tomlin 'paint a future' where if he accepts a 3yr, say $15M-$18M, that he can expect to be the starter, NLT year 3.  

As I see it, unless Russ brings home #7, we are not going to sign him to a $30+M/yr contract.  I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to offer the former 1st Rd, 25YO QB, that more 'team friendly' and lower-end starter money contract to Fields. I also wouldn't be surprised if Fields accepts it, knowing that he's the heir apparent, and will still get his chance at a big payday when he's 27 or 28...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

I have not been keeping track of UFA as much as others here and WR is a need. 

Clearly, I would opt for Aiyuk  as the clear #1 here  unless Jefferson is also available. Aiyuk doesn't have recent injury concerns but Samuels seems injured often. Diggs could be drama waiting to happen, so forget that.  If Aiyuk is similar to Ward, then Smith should be pounding the table of Aiyuk. 

Is Aiyuk UFA or have the 49ers given him the 5th year option.  Just get him and be set with GP at WR.  Maybe Khan trades Ogunjobi and Moore and picks to SF for Aiyuk :ph34r:

then get a CB (Howard or Sneed) opposite Porter and this team should be ready to get real for a change.  Howard could be a steal, and get a draft pick  CB . 

All three are supposedly being shopped. 49ers paid Deebo and now Aiyuk is looking for a payday so that factors into whether you trade for him or not. Aiyuk is the absolute BEST blocking WR in the NFL. Aiyuk plays like Diontae Johnson but is heavier and faster. Question is would you give up a draft pick for a proven commodity?

6 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

All three are supposedly being shopped. 49ers paid Deebo and now Aiyuk is looking for a payday so that factors into whether you trade for him or not. Aiyuk is the absolute BEST blocking WR in the NFL. Aiyuk plays like Diontae Johnson but is heavier and faster. Question is would you give up a draft pick for a proven commodity?

I'm not as concerned about the draft pick, as I am, his $14M salary this year, that of course, would have to be extended, but even still, how much AAV and/or Guaranteed will he demand.

To me, this draft is fairly deep, at least within the first 3 rounds, at WR, and could likely find a talent that's more of a higher floor/lower ceiling type...maybe a more mature prospect, who they feel we'd likely be able to depend on this season; if such a prospect exists. 

28 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

I’d stay away from Diggs. He killed the Bills last year, and is past his prime. He basically collapsed as a threat, might by physical or mental. 

Okay...so here's a question:

Assuming we go into camp with 4 QBs, where do the other 2 come from?  A cheap #3 like Kyle Allen or Carson Wentz, plus a UDFA/Tryout type??  Or a mid-rd draft pick like Jordan Travis or Michael Pratt, and a UDFA/Tryout type? Or fully invest with the cheaper UFA aaannd a mid-rd draft pick??

I think we are fairly solid with 2 'good' QBs, and wouldn't mind someone like Jordan Travis, with needing most of the season to rehab, and then bring in a UDFA-type, as well...

Thoughts??

5 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

Okay...so here's a question:

Assuming we go into camp with 4 QBs, where do the other 2 come from?  A cheap #3 like Kyle Allen or Carson Wentz, plus a UDFA/Tryout type??  Or a mid-rd draft pick like Jordan Travis or Michael Pratt, and a UDFA/Tryout type? Or fully invest with the cheaper UFA aaannd a mid-rd draft pick??

I think we are fairly solid with 2 'good' QBs, and wouldn't mind someone like Jordan Travis, with needing most of the season to rehab, and then bring in a UDFA-type, as well...

Thoughts??

I mentioned in a different thread about signing former Falcons QB Feleipe Franks as the number 3 and possibly late round draft pick or priority free agent for the 4th QB.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

I'm not as concerned about the draft pick, as I am, his $14M salary this year, that of course, would have to be extended, but even still, how much AAV and/or Guaranteed will he demand.

To me, this draft is fairly deep, at least within the first 3 rounds, at WR, and could likely find a talent that's more of a higher floor/lower ceiling type...maybe a more mature prospect, who they feel we'd likely be able to depend on this season; if such a prospect exists. 

Rome Odunze is the perfect fit for this scheme. He's a younger Mike Williams from the Chargers. He's the best contested catch receiver in this class. Add his size at 6'3 215 and speed at 4.45, Rome is a unit. He also has alpha mentality at that position ala George Pickens. Those two together could be scary good.

57 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

If the player has been healthy (no major tears) and a solid teammate and suits the scheme and is proven, I have always thought these are the players to trade for.   Think of it, a need has been taken care of no questions asked. Look at several draft picks over the years - many were useless and others not as good as Aiyuk in comparison.  

sign Aiyuk to a 4 year deal for how much? Spotrac is showing around 25M per year

The way I see it, if they trade Ogunjobi (can they though?) that will free up some capspace. See if Heyward will sign an extension and rework his deal. This will pay for most of Aiyuk's cap hit year 1 alone.  Maybe have more cap hit this year if they think Wilson will be back next year and beyond?

Aiyuk, Howard, Williams in UFA

RT, C,  first 2 rounds of the draft and we are in the building. I don't like our DL but with all of the above and  the new offence , it should be much better then the last several years.  In the end, if you win 31-30  when your DL doesn't keep the score down, the final score is all that matters I guess. 

36 minutes ago, rlon said:

I’d stay away from Diggs. He killed the Bills last year, and is past his prime. He basically collapsed as a threat, might by physical or mental. 

same here. No need for Drama, tomlin already had and allowed that with AB.  Aiyuk is the WR to sign.  Diggs might be more of a Colbert move, less money and drama accepted. Khan appears different, so whats he waiting for though? Do they have to make the capspace before they sign him? 

Would people be willing to give up a 1st for Aiyuk? AJ Brown went for a 1st and later pick 2 years ago. I'd say that'd be similar to what Aiyuk would bring. By doing that we lose out at the chance to get a JC Latham/Armarius Mims/Fuaga level RT or a JPJ level C. But does having basically the perfect WR for the projected offense, that's only 26 years old, while potentially having an affordable QB for the first 2 years of his new expensive deal worth it? If we had a center, I wouldn't even hesitate to grab Aiyuk. The black hole in the middle of our O-line does give me slight pause.

33 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Would people be willing to give up a 1st for Aiyuk? AJ Brown went for a 1st and later pick 2 years ago. I'd say that'd be similar to what Aiyuk would bring.

If there are indeed conversations going on about trading for Aiyuk, I would hope that Khan would 'weave more of his magic', and trade a different package of picks, that did not involve our 1st.  I personally, would not be thrilled with that package. Our 2024 3rd, and 2025 2nd and the pair of 2025 7ths we just received, would be more palatable, and seeing what Khan has been able to do, I wouldn't be surprised to see him pull off something like that.

52 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Would people be willing to give up a 1st for Aiyuk? AJ Brown went for a 1st and later pick 2 years ago. I'd say that'd be similar to what Aiyuk would bring. By doing that we lose out at the chance to get a JC Latham/Armarius Mims/Fuaga level RT or a JPJ level C. But does having basically the perfect WR for the projected offense, that's only 26 years old, while potentially having an affordable QB for the first 2 years of his new expensive deal worth it? If we had a center, I wouldn't even hesitate to grab Aiyuk. The black hole in the middle of our O-line does give me slight pause.

I would give up a 1st in a heartbeat for Aiyuk. But I think Kahn could get him for slightly less.

Deebo would also be fun but I hate our injury prone he is. My guess is he could be had for a 3rd plus a day 3 pick. 

I love Diggs but I hate the idea of trading for him. He clearly lost a step last year and I think he’s the exact opposite of a personality we need in our WR room. If you throw tantrums with Josh freaking Allen as your QB imagine how bad it could get with Russ.