State of the Steelers

warfelg

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Interesting. Jim Wexell on Locked On today said “this offseason is Mike Tomlins offseason, unlike the past.”

OK...that might be true in the sense that he really wanted both Wilson and Fields, but not in the sense of getting it done, managing the deals. Mike Tomlin's value is not as a strategist on the field or a GM-like mind off it. It has always been as that of a motivator.

But, as someone who was never big on Tomlin, a second strength/value is clearly emerging for this organization, one that will be a competitive advantage for years. That is, players NOW want to come here because of him. That is a game changer, if the FO is willing to give the resources.

8 minutes ago, rlon said:

OK...that might be true in the sense that he really wanted both Wilson and Fields, but not in the sense of getting it done, managing the deals

I mean - obviously he’s not the one doing that. That’s the GMs job. The point more lied in Tomlin has given us a blueprint through his media availability of what he wants. Mobile QB who can run it and be aggressive when the time is right, with an opportunistic offense that controls the ball and puts the pressure on the opposing offense to have to do something. He wants, famously, “volunteers not hostages” in guys who will put the team above self. He wants a defense who will attack, create confusion, and be opportunistic. 

So when you look at the transformation of this team this offseason, that’s what you are seeing. All the things he’s preached the last 4-6 years is happening. The best way to put it, my uncle said it feels like when Cowher pushed Donahough out and Colbert came in. A lot of players swapped out and suddenly the team looked like it was playing the type of ball Cowher wanted. 

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

Interesting. Jim Wexell on Locked On today said “this offseason is Mike Tomlins offseason, unlike the past.”

I listened to the podcast and didn’t really get the same “unlike the past” part of it that you did. 

3 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I listened to the podcast and didn’t really get the same “unlike the past” part of it that you did. 

I should have bracketed since it was the implication. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I should have bracketed since it was the implication. 

I took it as Wexell as saying: Yea, Kahn may be the one reaching out to other teams and closing the deals, but don’t give him too much credit because it is Tomlin saying “go get me Patrick Queen” and “bring Russ to me” etc.

• Like 1

Just now, bigben07MVP said:

I took it as Wexell as saying: Yea, Kahn may be the one reaching out to other teams and closing the deals, but don’t give him too much credit because it is Tomlin saying “go get me Patrick Queen” and “bring Russ to me” etc.

I took it that way as well as they way I highlighted if he (MT) hasn’t had that yet. 

27 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I am sure there are meetings with Tomlin and the coaches over FA.  I am sure there have been times that Tomlin has said. " i like this guy" and Colbert or Khan says "we will have a look but it needs to fit into our offer."  They are not breaking the bank of these signings but I think Tomlin is the recruiter.  Perhaps they get Watt or Heyward involved.  None of this looks like " get this guy at any price."

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I am sure there are meetings with Tomlin and the coaches over FA.  I am sure there have been times that Tomlin has said. " i like this guy" and Colbert or Khan says "we will have a look but it needs to fit into our offer."  They are not breaking the bank of these signings but I think Tomlin is the recruiter.  Perhaps they get Watt or Heyward involved.  None of this looks like " get this guy at any price."

Well. The difference is having the space to play partially. But the way it comes off is Tomlin goes (like @bigben07MVP said) “I want this guy let’s get it done”, where the past felt like “we’re gonna spend X on ILB and I’ll find out who fits that” from the FO then it was Tomlins job to get them to sign. 

4 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Well. The difference is having the space to play partially. But the way it comes off is Tomlin goes (like @bigben07MVP said) “I want this guy let’s get it done”, where the past felt like “we’re gonna spend X on ILB and I’ll find out who fits that” from the FO then it was Tomlins job to get them to sign. 

If that was truly the way it was...at least, anytime after Tomlin's first few years, then that's a problem.  The needs to have a say in the purchasing of the ingredients, as they say.  I certainly hope it was more of Tomlin bringing Colbert a few options, and Colbert/Khan deciding who we could actually afford, if anyone.  Otherwise, they kept their best players, as long as equitable, let the rest go, and tried to rebuild those via the draft.

The problem I had with that approach, was that they put most of their energy and resources into a single method of roster building, and that put them at a disadvantage.  I'm all about signing our own guys back, if it makes sense, but to not even look at some mid-range, and yes, an elite FA every now and then, is hampering the team's ability to succeed. 

I think there is some truth in those who have stated that in the past, we would have just re-signed DJ, and Mason, and Terrell Edmunds, etc....Steelers' drafted players, and not bother with trying to upgrade.  There is absolutely no one who can say that we have not updated our ILB and QB room so far--I fully expect to be able to say the same about our WR and OL room, before we get to draft day.

10 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

I wonder if we'd trade our 3rd we got from Philadelphia or dare I suggest a future 5th for Aiyuk??

I really hope that if we do trade for Aiyuk, that is the most we trade for him, but I get a bad feeling that it will cost us more like our 3rd, or possibly, even as much as our 2nd, + a 2025 pick, depending upon whether we trade the 2nd or 3rd.