State of the Steelers

warfelg

Maybe it wasn't the contact 

Maybe it was simply why give mahomes a DJ like talent , they're already the team to go through

No matter how you feel about DJ , he would of been great with mahomes

Why strengthen a team you are going to have to go through like that

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cbrunn said:

Maybe it was simply why give mahomes a DJ like talent , they're already the team to go through

This isn’t directed towards you but Steelers would be stupid to think that they are anywhere near the Chiefs level anyways.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AFF said:

This isn’t directed towards you but Steelers would be stupid to think that they are anywhere near the Chiefs level anyways.

But how though? 

10-6 with massive injuries and basically non existent QB play 

I mean I guess maybe I'm on the optimistic side , but this team isn't that far off 

There is no way rus can beat the likes of mahomes , Allen , or Jackson ... But he beat mahomes and Allen with a worst Denver team ... And we beat Lamar with all of our problems 

11 minutes ago, Cbrunn said:

But how though? 

10-6 with massive injuries and basically non existent QB play 

I mean I guess maybe I'm on the optimistic side , but this team isn't that far off 

There is no way rus can beat the likes of mahomes , Allen , or Jackson ... But he beat mahomes and Allen with a worst Denver team ... And we beat Lamar with all of our problems 

The Chiefs won the last 2 SBs and been to the SB what 3 outta the last 4 years(I’ve been drinking so correct me if I’m wrong)…The Steelers haven’t won a playoff game for 6-7 years.

The Chiefs have done a superb job drafting wise and getting good value out of later picks(Sneed is an example)…Tge Steelers not so much.

The Steelers have also faced a ridiculously easy QB schedule the last year and a half(can’t find list but it’s pretty bad).

They are nowhere near the Chiefs as a whole.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AFF said:

The Chiefs won the last 2 SBs and been to the SB what 3 outta the last 4 years(I’ve been drinking so correct me if I’m wrong)…The Steelers haven’t won a playoff game for 6-7 years.

The Chiefs have done a superb job drafting wise and getting good value out of later picks(Sneed is an example)…Tge Steelers not so much.

The Steelers have also faced a ridiculously easy QB schedule the last year and a half(can’t find list but it’s pretty bad).

I don’t think it takes a long time for a good team to be built. A good FO can strike quickly. The league as a whole is a big jumble of pretty average teams that are 2 good draft classes/off-seasons away from being SB contenders. The Chiefs are good, but I don’t think they’re unbeatable. We’ll see how optimistic I am a week after that draft haha 

12 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I don’t think it takes a long time for a good team to be built. A good FO can strike quickly. The league as a whole is a big jumble of pretty average teams that are 2 good draft classes/off-seasons away from being SB contenders. The Chiefs are good, but I don’t think they’re unbeatable. We’ll see how optimistic I am a week after that draft haha 

Oh they’re clearly not unbeatable but I think their drafting and willingness to move vets come contract time Is a hugely underestimated strength of theirs…Tyreek/Dee Ford/Frank Clark/Sneed.

I think the Steelers inability to make the tough cut of Heyward is a huge wasted opportunity.

$16 mill(the saving for cutting Heyward) could have gotten 3 solid players in for example…CB Kenney Moore/DL Raekwon Davis/RT Morgan Moses.

Or hell all of the 1st year cap hit of Sneeds new deal.

Yea you would have a huge hole at DE but in the process you solved CB for at least the next few years while Heyward is probably gone after this upcoming year.

I know I kinda had 2 thoughts going there but i hope you see the point.

2 hours ago, AFF said:

Put Mahomes on the Steelers this year and you have trophy number 7…

• Like 1

WR Corey Davis should be pursued by the Steelers. The FO needs to dive into why he decided to retire and work him out. Davis a good route runner with good size and speed. He knows the Arthur Smith system and had some of his best production in it. He could be another veteran presence to help George Pickens grow as a player. I'd rather have Davis over any other free agent WRs that are available.

7 hours ago, AFF said:

I think the Steelers inability to make the tough cut of Heyward is a huge wasted opportunity.

If he had more years or showed a bigger decline sure. But cutting him would have been cutting him just to do it. For the Chiefs they could sustain doing that stuff because they were us in the early 2000’s. They don’t have many draft needs so they can let those guys walk knowing they took someone one to two years prior who are ready to step up into that space. 

Cutting Heyward to sign Sneed would have been a net negative in the field because the run defense and pass rush would both suffer (and we have the data that shows that). Add in that not only did you use that cap to pick up Sneed you would have needed that draft assets to end up replacing Cam.

So by doing something that’s a desire, not a need, you created a need and took away two ways of getting it done. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, warfelg said:

If he had more years or showed a bigger decline sure. But cutting him would have been cutting him just to do it. For the Chiefs they could sustain doing that stuff because they were us in the early 2000’s. They don’t have many draft needs so they can let those guys walk knowing they took someone one to two years prior who are ready to step up into that space. 

Cutting Heyward to sign Sneed would have been a net negative in the field because the run defense and pass rush would both suffer (and we have the data that shows that). Add in that not only did you use that cap to pick up Sneed you would have needed that draft assets to end up replacing Cam.

So by doing something that’s a desire, not a need, you created a need and took away two ways of getting it done. 

I’m not cutting Heyward, there is just too much intangible value there. He also still brings a lot more tangible skills than Larry O. Some contracts may have already been dealt with in terms restructures and extensions, we might just be yet to know. Also, I wouldn’t give the Chiefs so much credit for moving on from guys and not missing a beat…Mahomes.

Edited by rlon

A Niners beat reporter is suggesting it’s going to take a fairly significant offset to get Aiyuk . Quoted the Sneed return as “underwhelming” and no where close to what Aiyuk would take. 

11 hours ago, rlon said:

Put Mahomes on the Steelers this year and you have trophy number 7…

That’s debatable at best.

Plus yea,…I mean putting the best QB on a team might improve their chances.

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

Having Sneed for several years at least is more valuable than Heyward for 1 year when they’re not going to be in SB contention.

Im also not worried about say a 3rd round pick…im more than fine with trading a 3rd for a proven player to help for years…hell we agreed on giving up even more draft capitial for Aiyuk so the pick is a nothing burger to me.

41 minutes ago, AFF said:

Having Sneed for several years at least is more valuable than Heyward for 1 year when they’re not going to be in SB contention.

If Heyward were around for a few more years on the contract he’s currently on I would be more inclined.  But he’s got that cap hit in a year we can deal with it.

And like has been said many times, cutting Heyward berated the biggest hole that there was no way to fill.  Cost wise filling him would have taken more than you saved.  Pick wise you would need to commit a premium pick at fixing the position.  It just made no sense.  In the last 3 years we constantly go from a top 7 run unit with him to bottom 5 without him.  Even our pass defense suffered without Heyward.  The one year gain of what would have come from cutting him in the cap is not worth the long term complications that came with it.

16 hours ago, Cbrunn said:

I think like this as well, make the contenders weaker not stronger. Taking Sneed away would hurt the Chiefs but dionte might level that a decent amount. 

18 minutes ago, warfelg said:

cutting Heyward

what about extend/restructure,  not just Heyward, but Watt and others?

Sneed should have been Khans latest steal , he missed out there.  Titans got a major win at CB with that trade.  

Sneed and then Courtland Sutton  would really help the team. Aiyuk too, but more costly overall but at the same time weakens the 49ers. Denver won't be a contender, so Sutton is strictly the player, no collateral damage of use

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

A Niners beat reporter is suggesting it’s going to take a fairly significant offset to get Aiyuk . Quoted the Sneed return as “underwhelming” and no where close to what Aiyuk would take. 

Sneed for the win again.  There is only so much a team can offer when trading for a player. If you could fill a roster with RDr trade picks like Sneed, it would be much better than the many RD1 picks over the years. A fail by Khan.

Aiyuk would be a great addition to the team, but at what cost? If WR is such a great clas in the draft, then better off there . 

trade for Sneed

sign C. Williams

Draft OT RD1

Draft WR RD2

but as usual, there will be some holes left on the roster, CB looks thin right now. Imagine if Porter gets hurt, he could be as valuable as TJ .  

Lots of teams missed out on an elite CB for low compensation, I  don't understand it .  Steelers need help at CB too, that I am used to, and expect more of the same there unless they draft a good CB. Lots of questions at CB, Trice injury, Rush is unproven, and then slot/depth is also unknown.