State of the Steelers

warfelg

3 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

what was the question? I can't listen to saunders that much,  hope you understand  :ph34r: I don't care for most of the media, just rumours and BS most of the time

It was a Chris solo but I was asking if getting the skill players before trench players was a mistake and a botched opportunity. Chris seems to took it in the “tank without them” direction. He seems to think that getting the skill players then the line was the right move. 

41 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

so currently, what would the numerical value be instead of english value/overpaying  designation?

IMO, you could have probably landed him around $17-$18M. Guys above that like Dickerson and Lindstrom have accolades that Daniels doesn't. The guy who doesn't make sense is Robert Hunt at $20M/year, but I think you can leverage "would you want to play for the panthers?" well enough to beat that. 

Dotson got $16M, Jonah Jackson has $17M. Elgton signed last year for $17M, but he also has 2 Pro Bowl bids to his name. 

If Khan is as good as I think he is, he could probably get $16/$17M. If his agents are good and sell another boom to the cap, $18/19M. 

11 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

Muth  I doubt they bring back unless he really has a great season.

Wilson I can see min 40M but hope I am wrong and you are right of course. 

GP thought, I never thought would get that much  but wait and see. No doubt he could be top WR with a decent QB, no doubt at all. He is that type of player, just had garbage for oC and QB. 

I think Muth is out tag candidate TBH. When he’s healthy and producing it’s a top 5 TE level. The question is how consistent is he in that. He also needs to grow some in the blocker IMO to be there. 

Im not as savvy with cap stuff as much as others but that has a potential to be $30-40 mil in year one cap between the three still needing DL, CB2, WR2. And the depth of the QB room, WR depth, OL depth, DL depth, CB depth. There would be about $40 mil to spend on all of that. 

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

It was a Chris solo but I was asking if getting the skill players before trench players was a mistake and a botched opportunity. Chris seems to took it in the “tank without them” direction. He seems to think that getting the skill players then the line was the right move. 

what goo dis it to have skill players when the OL can't get the run game going and the QB is on the ground or a cart? Makes no sense to me, and carter is decent IMO, but wrong here.  

Football with bad OL is almost unwatchable as well, it's not football but more of a waste of time than anything

8 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

IMO, you could have probably landed him around $17-$18M. Guys above that like Dickerson and Lindstrom have accolades that Daniels doesn't. The guy who doesn't make sense is Robert Hunt at $20M/year, but I think you can leverage "would you want to play for the panthers?" well enough to beat that. 

Dotson got $16M, Jonah Jackson has $17M. Elgton signed last year for $17M, but he also has 2 Pro Bowl bids to his name. 

If Khan is as good as I think he is, he could probably get $16/$17M. If his agents are good and sell another boom to the cap, $18/19M. 

good points. Now how about the other part to this, does Daniels suite the new scheme? Maybe thats another reason? Not good news for now but if he doesn't do well in this scheme, maybe thats a reason they move on. 

5 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

does Daniels suite the new scheme

Fit really shouldn't be a question. He has been involved in zone heavy schemes basically since college and his athleticism fits the profile. Fit in general is being overblown a bit. We shared a lot of the same concepts last year as we will see with Arthur Smith this year. He is just going to be far, far better at game calling and putting us in better situations (like not continually running opposite the jet motion to the point where teams drop a S backside and put you at a 4 on 3 blocking disadvantage). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

If I were Daniels agent I’d be targeting Robert Hunts or Chris Lindstrom real regardless of the fact it’s with the Panthers and Falcons. 

You would be welcome to do so. Just as the Steelers would be welcome to highlight that Lindstrom is a 2x pro bowler and 2x second team all-pro.

27 minutes ago, warfelg said:

The issue with getting skill position first is that the career length of those players is generally much shorter than OL. RB in particular...you get a handful of peak years if you're lucky any more.

If you got a good QB or WR, you end up paying them big money before you even get your OL set more likely.

Ideally, I think you bring in QB/WR/EDGE last as they are the big money players. You plan to get a solid team then bring in these positions and they make less money early so you can maintain a high quality team elsewhere for a short time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

The issue with getting skill position first is that the career length of those players is generally much shorter than OL. RB in particular...you get a handful of peak years if you're lucky any more.

If you got a good QB or WR, you end up paying them big money before you even get your OL set more likely.

Ideally, I think you bring in QB/WR/EDGE last as they are the big money players. You plan to get a solid team then bring in these positions and they make less money early so you can maintain a high quality team elsewhere for a short time.

This is where my mind goes. Set the OL then worry about everything else because a good OL can just elevate so many other positions so easily. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

You would be welcome to do so. Just as the Steelers would be welcome to highlight that Lindstrom is a 2x pro bowler and 2x second team all-pro.

That’s what an agent is supposed to do. Gotta make sure his guys get that bread(himself too haha)

• Like 1

I’m not too upset about the Daniels news. I think OG is pretty easy to replace. I’m also not infatuated with Daniels. I think he’s much better on paper. He never really wows me. If I’m paying top dollar for a G, he better be caving in DL’s and banishing second level defenders into the shadow realm. Nothing wrong with lighting a fire under him either. Let him play for a new contract. Plus, if he and Najee go elsewhere we could be in on some comp picks. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

That’s what an agent is supposed to do. Gotta make sure his guys get that bread(himself too haha)

Yup. So I can see that having already happened and Kahn being like “ok I’m not negotiating against myself so let’s come back at the end of the season.”

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

Yup. So I can see that having already happened and Kahn being like “ok I’m not negotiating against myself so let’s come back at the end of the season.”

Makes sense. The only thing I don’t like about it is messing with continuity, but I trust the new regime.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

himself too

Which is probably the most important part! ha

It's also why I think they could get him at the $17M/$18M mark since we have leverage of one more season under contract. Take 3% of $18M/year or pray all goes well and you can try to land 3% of $21M in free agency the following year. 

Not that it's insignificant amounts of money by any means but, locking in $540,000/year commission right now might be more enticing than potentially getting $630,000/year. 

• Like 1