State of the Steelers

warfelg

3 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Holy hell that Justin Jefferson deal resetting the WR market in a HUGE way.

After AJ Brown got $32.5 mill AAV, I figured JJ would get $35mill But that $100 mill guaranteed is huge.

My dreams are dashed…Aiyuk will get somewhere between $25-$30 mill AAV.

1 minute ago, AFF said:

After AJ Brown got $32.5 mill AAV, I figured JJ would get $35mill But that $100 mill guaranteed is huge.

My dreams are dashed…Aiyuk will get somewhere between $25-$30 mill AAV.

$110MM guaranteed to be exact.

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

$110MM guaranteed to be exact.

We don’t agree often but I think we both see the WR market is getting out of hand.

Thats why I was more inclined then most to be ok with a WR in the 1st in this past draft.

10 minutes ago, AFF said:

We don’t agree often but I think we both see the WR market is getting out of hand.

Thats why I was more inclined then most to be ok with a WR in the 1st in this past draft.

I’m on the thought that you can only pay 1 at a time. I think if we make a move for Deebo/Aiyuk/any other big name we’re going to be letting Pickens walk after 2025. If not WR will be high on the list in 2025 draft as other positions can be signed.

Just now, warfelg said:

I’m on the thought that you can only pay 1 at a time. I think if we make a move for Deebo/Aiyuk/any other big name we’re going to be letting Pickens walk after 2025. If not WR will be high on the list in 2025 draft as other positions can be signed.

I think you can pay 2(at least the Steelers can) cause they’ll have no big QB contract and Heyward is going to be off the books.

I think they definitely could If they let Watt walk after 25 but im guessing he gets a 2-3 year extension next offseason.

I don’t see the Jefferson deal as bad FWIW. They have a rookie scale QB contract. When that’s in place you can afford to do things like that. Right now the Eagles are the only one “breaking” that “rule” by paying Hurts, Brown, Smith, and everyone on that offense just about. Then again for the most part their defense is fairly cheap.

Rolling it into us and our position, this is why I’m glad the cap is staying really clean next year. Either we’re going to have to spend a bunch on a QB (Dak, Wilson, Fields or someone else we’re not thinking about) or we’re going to potentially be spending a bunch everywhere else and trying to go get the cheap QB.

I know the cap is a “suggestion” and you can do things to get around it to some degree, but that’s what it’s good it’s staying clean for next year. You have both options available to you. And yes I know that we have a ton of cap space and you can do something with one or two guys, but the more people you do something with the more and more you push yourself into the having to trade to get a QB in the draft.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, AFF said:

I think you can pay 2(at least the Steelers can) cause they’ll have no big QB contract and Heyward is going to be off the books.

I think they definitely could If they let Watt walk after 25 but im guessing he gets a 2-3 year extension next offseason.

Heyward is likely getting an extension soon and Watt will for sure get one too.

https://x.com/Steelersdepot/status/1797658117473472964

I know PFF but still a top 5 interior defender.

Edited by warfelg

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

Farabaugh broke it down on a podcast I listened to yesterday that only Aiyuk would really almost rule out extending Pickens. Sutton, Deebo, and DK contracts are all manageable enough to do it. He was also factoring in a potential big QB FA deal into the equation. 

Some other nuggets from the podcast worth sharing

- Calvin Austin looks night and day from where he was last year. Looks healthier and creating a lot more separation. Said he has a clear leg up on all the other WRs (Watkins, Miller, Mims, Jefferson)

- Dez Fitzpatrick could be a major sleeper to make the roster if they want a Miles Boykin WR5 type. Said he’s a really solid and versatile ST guy. This is obviously assuming we don’t trade for a WR.

- Nick thinks Keanu Benton is going to sky rocket this year and said we could be looking at him as the best player from the 2023 draft class by the end of this season, including JPJ.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

- Calvin Austin looks night and day from where he was last year. Looks healthier and creating a lot more separation. Said he has a clear leg up on all the other WRs (Watkins, Miller, Mims, Jefferson)

So not just jet sweeps and flys?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

Calvin Austin looks night and day from where he was last year. Looks healthier and creating a lot more separation. Said he has a clear leg up on all the other WRs (Watkins, Miller, Mims, Jefferson)

This would be huge. CAIII is a perfect guy to look good in shorts, though. I was pretty down on him until fairly recently. I believe it was @Dcash4 that posted a few gifs of him running wide open almost immediately on a route and Kenny bailing the pocket and not looking his way. It would be a massive thing if CAIII could grab that #2 spot and play like a legit NFL starter. I remember he looked like a complete package coming out of college. Good route runner, good yac guy, blazing speed to take the top off defenses. If he can start getting close to his potential it'd help the offense in a huge way. 

8 hours ago, 3rivers said:

does SF trade him for less or more though?How does this work?

SF would be lucky to get a conditional 5th for him at this point.  Might as well hold on and get a comp 3rd.

• Like 1