State of the Steelers

warfelg

Moore at RT in competition could be as much or more about seeing if he can be a swing tackle. Regardless of who ends up starting, you have to challenge the rookie. You also get to see Moore play at RT and see what his flexibility is like.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

Moore at RT in competition could be as much or more about seeing if he can be a swing tackle. Regardless of who ends up starting, you have to challenge the rookie. You also get to see Moore play at RT and see what his flexibility is like.

I'd let the incumbent battle the rookie, on the left...I honestly think this is a bad move. My opinion is that Fautanu's upside at LT is higher than that of Jones...now you're changing two positions for a veteran to play right tackle who is not comfortable being three versus a rookie who is like the same tentative fit. Jones had already made the transition. I hope I'm wrong...

54 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

and maybe trade him as a result?

1 minute ago, 3rivers said:

I am not sure that makes sense when you have Moore as your top backup on the cheap. You want to rely on Cook if someone goes down? To me, Troy should have competed against Dan on the left, with Jones backed up by Cook on the right. 

27 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

I think the trade scenario would be if Moore can't backup at RT reasonably. If he can cover your backup at both LT and RT, great. Otherwise he isn't flexible enough to add value to the team. The only other option if he doesn't have any value at RT is that maybe he can backup OG.

34 minutes ago, rlon said:

I'd let the incumbent battle the rookie, on the left...I honestly think this is a bad move. My opinion is that Fautanu's upside at LT is higher than that of Jones...now you're changing two positions for a veteran to play right tackle who is not comfortable being three versus a rookie who is like the same tentative fit. Jones had already made the transition. I hope I'm wrong...

Fautanu has stated in the past that he feels more comfortable at RT (whether this was just lip service during the draft process, I don't know):

This was an quote from Pat Meyer on Troy Fautanu playing RT. "I don’t think it’s been as hard for him to change and do that as it would be for other guys. To be honest with you, when I talked to the kid before drafting him, he said he felt better on the right than the left."

-Nick Farabaugh

https://x.com/FarabaughFB/status/1801356413010149837

-Article (how I found the tweet)

38 minutes ago, rlon said:

I am not sure that makes sense when you have Moore as your top backup on the cheap. You want to rely on Cook if someone goes down? To me, Troy should have competed against Dan on the left, with Jones backed up by Cook on the right. 

what about Anderson? I thought he was the swing OT or did that change? 

no doubt a quality reserve is required, but many here have said Moore can't play RT anyways, now they are having a competition with Moore and our RD1 pick ? 

OTOH, I don't see the trade value being high for Moore, so I expect he will stay here.  

usually a few things at least that annoy me about this team, nothing new here.   And if moore is decent, he stays out there while RD1 pick sits I guess, makes sense - there is always next year or in case of injury.