State of the Steelers

warfelg

I didn't fall for the click bait, but AST has Highsmith in a clip title regarding trade. If anyone here fell for the bait, is this a new rumour they are promoting at AST, trading Highsmith?   

I can't tolerate the some steeler media , pardon me

Edited by 3rivers

13 hours ago, 3rivers said:

I didn't fall for the click bait, but AST has Highsmith in a clip title regarding trade. If anyone here fell for the bait, is this a new rumour they are promoting at AST, trading Highsmith?   

I can't tolerate the some steeler media , pardon me

I don’t know why people would suggest that the 49ers would really want Highsmith. They don’t need him, number one, number two, they don’t run a 3-4. I wouldn’t give up a second rounder and Highsmith for a receiver that will crush your cap. If we were really talking Highsmith being on the block, which I don’t think is the case, I’d prefer a straight up trade for Courtland Sutton. Denver would actually get better with Highsmith. 

8 hours ago, rlon said:

I don’t know why people would suggest that the 49ers would really want Highsmith. They don’t need him, number one, number two, they don’t run a 3-4. I wouldn’t give up a second rounder and Highsmith for a receiver that will crush your cap. If we were really talking Highsmith being on the block, which I don’t think is the case, I’d prefer a straight up trade for Courtland Sutton. Denver would actually get better with Highsmith. 

it's click bait, steeler media as usual

• 5 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

The grass isn't always greener and all that...

Tomlin was really good in the early days of challenges. Like 60% good. Al Riveron took over the process and all the coaches that were good suddenly saw their challenge success rate tank. BB and Harbaugh were both worse, Sean Peyton about the same, and the newer coaches were the successful ones.

• Like 1

Honestly, if you're listening to anything that ESPN or NFLN say about the Steelers, then I feel bad for you. Those people are all about being loud and obnoxious.

Anthony Averette was cut today. His lack of physicality was obvious when he was in the game. Mike Tomlin loves small guys who play big. I stated Averette's lack of physicality was concerning but hoped that he could develop into being physical. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Honestly, if you're listening to anything that ESPN or NFLN say about the Steelers, then I feel bad for you. Those people are all about being loud and obnoxious.

Anthony Averette was cut today. His lack of physicality was obvious when he was in the game. Mike Tomlin loves small guys who play big. I stated Averette's lack of physicality was concerning but hoped that he could develop into being physical. 

He really looked bad in the first game. I didn’t watch the second but it doesn’t look like he improved.

Listen, maybe I'm wrong but I feel like there's a lot of overreaction.

I feel like Pittsburgh is finally using Preseason for what Preseason is really for.

Putting both the team and individual players into specific situations, seeing how things work with different people and what different players are capable of. 

It seems like there are several teams around the league that are just going to the motions and pittsburgh is not a team that can afford to do that.

No that is not to say we don't have some issues that have to be fixed. But overall, on Saturday at the game, there were some really good bright spots. For example, Perine should make the roster and Fields looks good, got a ways to go to improve but overall, good. Trice and Rush look good, definitely look to be an improvement to our depth.

Now, a few bad things that I saw was that the entire third train defense up front should be cut, and the only WR after Pickens really doing anything is Van Jefferson.  Calvin Austin will make the roster because he has to. Ideally Van Jefferson is the #3 and Calvin Austin the 4 but likely Jefferson will have to be the #2, at least until Roman Wilson comes back. Noboday after Austin deserves to make the roster tbh, none of them seem to be able to contribute, my guess is Scotty Miller will be the guy to make it as the #5. If we can acquire someone else, counting Wilson that would give us 6. I have a hard time believing Quez Watkins makes the roster right now.

Edited by VigilantZombie
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

Putting both the team and individual players into specific situations, seeing how things work with different people and what different players are capable of. 

It was interesting that Matt Williamson on Locked On was talking about this yesterday that guys have been moving all over the line, pulling different directions, pulling in different ways, almost like they are just spending time trying to use game situation to allow players to show them what they are good at.

And I like it. It's good situational development with the depth guys because you don't know where or when they are going to have to pop into a game. So knowing what they are good at is much more important than trying to execute certain things. And I'm going to put this into the category of learning and improving the system of development.

8 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

It seems like there are several teams around the league that are just going to the motions and pittsburgh is not a team that can afford to do that.

I feel like preseason can go one of 3 ways for teams:

1 - The established team just trying things. I put KC in this bucket for example. They've been there done that. The core is the same. Yet Big Red keeps them playing, but he's putting things out there that they might not use for a long time or they are doing something that never shows up in season but makes you think about it.

2 - The developed team going through the motion. I kind of look at this like the Jets or Niners. You know what you have in starters, even if they haven't played together for a long time. There's no needing to develop them or anything so if they are out there for a drive or two it's just "lets see game speed and get out healthy".

3 - The developing team. That's us. You put your teams in certain situations to see how they respond. Put a backup IOL guy at LG and RG and see how the play develops when they pull. Call different line calls on a trap play to see how well something happens like Jones needing to get to the 2nd level vs Frazier getting to the 2nd level. Throw max protect out there with two man route concepts with different WR's running the various routes to see who works best with each situation.

So end of the day, I think fitting into the right time of preseason approach is right for your team is the best thing. For a long time we were in the 2nd bucket, then end of Ben we slid into that first one. Last 2 years we were doing the 2nd but should have been in the 3rd.

18 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

No that is not to say we don't have some issues that have to be fixed. But overall, on Saturday at the game, there were some really good bright spots. For example, Perine should make the roster and Fields looks good, got a ways to go to improve but overall, good. 

Now, a few bad things that I saw was that the entire third train defense up front should be cut, and the only WR after Pickens really doing anything is Van Jefferson.  Calvin Austin will make the roster because he has to. Ideally Van Jefferson is the #3 and Calvin Austin the 4 but likely Jefferson will have to be the #2, at least until Roman Wilson comes back. Noboday after Austin deserves to make the roster tbh

Agree with most of this. Usually 3rd line defense is just bodies for camp so no loss there.

As for the WR thing, we haven't seen the RB's or TE's being a big involved part of the offense so far, but I think they will be when you get to the season. I think that right now they are trying to work out if WR2 needs to be a 'by committee' type thing or if it can be one guy all along. You bring up the major name though, Roman Wilson by all accounts was having an amazing camp until the injury so I think if he can come back with that he should be able to get some snaps there.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

It was interesting that Matt Williamson on Locked On was talking about this yesterday that guys have been moving all over the line, pulling different directions, pulling in different ways, almost like they are just spending time trying to use game situation to allow players to show them what they are good at.

And I like it. It's good situational development with the depth guys because you don't know where or when they are going to have to pop into a game. So knowing what they are good at is much more important than trying to execute certain things. And I'm going to put this into the category of learning and improving the system of development.

I feel like preseason can go one of 3 ways for teams:

1 - The established team just trying things. I put KC in this bucket for example. They've been there done that. The core is the same. Yet Big Red keeps them playing, but he's putting things out there that they might not use for a long time or they are doing something that never shows up in season but makes you think about it.

2 - The developed team going through the motion. I kind of look at this like the Jets or Niners. You know what you have in starters, even if they haven't played together for a long time. There's no needing to develop them or anything so if they are out there for a drive or two it's just "lets see game speed and get out healthy".

3 - The developing team. That's us. You put your teams in certain situations to see how they respond. Put a backup IOL guy at LG and RG and see how the play develops when they pull. Call different line calls on a trap play to see how well something happens like Jones needing to get to the 2nd level vs Frazier getting to the 2nd level. Throw max protect out there with two man route concepts with different WR's running the various routes to see who works best with each situation.

So end of the day, I think fitting into the right time of preseason approach is right for your team is the best thing. For a long time we were in the 2nd bucket, then end of Ben we slid into that first one. Last 2 years we were doing the 2nd but should have been in the 3rd.

Agree with most of this. Usually 3rd line defense is just bodies for camp so no loss there.

As for the WR thing, we haven't seen the RB's or TE's being a big involved part of the offense so far, but I think they will be when you get to the season. I think that right now they are trying to work out if WR2 needs to be a 'by committee' type thing or if it can be one guy all along. You bring up the major name though, Roman Wilson by all accounts was having an amazing camp until the injury so I think if he can come back with that he should be able to get some snaps there.

I agree with all of that and I wasn't thrilled about the Roman Wilson pick initially but I have to agree he looked good. He is a guy I think I'll happily eat crow on.

I listened to that podcast last night, I agree a lot of what he said made a lot of sense and honestly had a lot of inspiration on my post this morning, it kind of made me think more about what I feel I saw Saturday and analyze my perspective which did in fact really align with what he had to say.

Edited by VigilantZombie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VigilantZombie said:

Noboday after Austin deserves to make the roster tbh, none of them seem to be able to contribute, 

Dez Fitzpatrick has made some plays at WR and STs. I think he could make it. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2024 at 9:58 AM, warfelg said:

@3rivers Here’s an answer to the challenge question:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/ranking-nfl-head-coaches-by-replay-challenge-success-rate-2024/

Since challenges were introduced league average success rate is 33.7%. Tomlin has a career success rate of 41%. 

What about the times when he (or other coaches) don’t challenge when it is blatantly obvious they should. That’s half of the equation that isn’t accounted for in this stat…and what we saw happen in the 1st preseason game. 

3 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Dez Fitzpatrick has made some plays at WR and STs. I think he could make it. 

Agreed. He was Kozora’s pick for the last WR spot on his last roster production as well. Apparently he has looked really solid as a gunner.

• Like 1