Run CMC

3rivers

On 10/21/2022 at 12:57 PM, jebrick said:

Najee is not ascending anywhere unless the Steelers change their blocking style.

where would you rank Najee + this OL compared to the rest of the league out of 32?

5 hours ago, Raidersfan1 said:

top 10 in jersey sales, probably shared, but a cute story nonetheless

without an OL, it's senseless . I would prefer to fix the OL instead of having a high amount of cap space wasted.  Barkley will get top  $ or should unless injury issues. He's a rare player IMO

I still want Warren to get a fair chance, but so far it's been limited. 

On 10/21/2022 at 10:02 AM, Steeler Hitman said:

While CMC would probably be a better fit for Matt Canada's system

canada better not even be in the league next year. Once tomlin hands over the pink slip , canada may as well send his resume to  jarvis jones at subway

• Like 1

@3riversthere comes a point in time when you have to start using your money wisely. Barkely line or not is good value even at the highest paid back in the league.

The role of GM is to have an honest assessment of the roster, even if you just handed out bad contracts.

The Chuks deal has an out after one and that out should be had. Chicago OL needs to go as well. This money used poorly can then be reallocated wisely. If you do this enough the roster will slowly turn good.

As for the OL, tear down what splashy assets you've poorly allocated on offense (Claypool, DJ, Harris) and recoup some coupons and get back to the basics.

I would add Alex Highsmith at a 1st round grade for list of tradeables. Problem is they won't want to trade him. My problem - I don't wanna pay him $18m per opposite of Watt for multiple years.

A swap of Alabama DE #31 for Highsmith (schematically falling 15 places)

1.02 - Anderson

1.16 - Mayer (via Highsmith via Philadelphia)

Is incredibly good business. You have two dynamic pass rushers on defense. Saquon Barkley, TWO tight ends, and a solid split end in Pickens on offense is an outstanding start to building an offense. 

A gluttonous hoarding of talent in Kayshon Boutee at the top of round two balances the field on offense.

14 hours ago, 3rivers said:

where would you rank Najee + this OL compared to the rest of the league out of 32?

Sorry for the late response as I was out of town. Right now near the bottom because of health and jelling issues. But I see them trending upwards because of Najee's health and the OL working together more. I don't foresee them being better than maybe 25-20 overall (at its best and if the stars aligned perfectly so to speak) in 2022. 

I am not a fan of the style of OL that we are employing.  I have long said that I prefer maulers and manglers who can move people. This would have greatly helped Big Ben and would have benefitted Mitch and Kenny. 

without an OL, it's senseless . I would prefer to fix the OL instead of having a high amount of cap space wasted.  Barkley will get top  $ or should unless injury issues. He's a rare player IMO

RB is not the issue. It is hard to evaluate a RB and especially a young one without OL. I don't think Derek Henry or CMC would look good in our offense with our OL woes and style. You have your franchise QB, (despite what some may think) I believe you have your franchise RB, and you have your #1 WR in Pickens.  Now get a franchise LT, franchise C, and add some guard depth/upgrade. 

I still want Warren to get a fair chance, but so far it's been limited. 

We all love this kid for his fire, heart, and effort, but he's not a #1 RB.  He should be spelling Najee.  With our OL, they don't support his talents fully. Let him be the short yardage RB and occasional third down back.

canada better not even be in the league next year. Once tomlin hands over the pink slip , canada may as well send his resume to  jarvis jones at subway

😜

giphy.gif

Najee is decent but is in the wrong system.  Put Najee with a team like the Titans and he would do very well.  Could be the FO but the Steelers like to get their caveman RBs but their scheme says wide zone run.  They get Rbs that do not have the homerun speed.

32 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Najee is decent but is in the wrong system.  Put Najee with a team like the Titans and he would do very well.  Could be the FO but the Steelers like to get their caveman RBs but their scheme says wide zone run.  They get Rbs that do not have the homerun speed.

I was talking with someone on the plane about that who works for FO. He pointed out how easily they can tell who made the picks in Pittsburgh.

If the guy had a high RAS score with stats over the last two years, it was a Tomlin pick (TJ, Edmunds, Claypool). If it was an underclassman with decent RAS score and decent stats, the whole structure worked together (Freiermuth, Highsmith, Johnson). If the guy had a lower RAS score and great stats, with ok tape (Najee, Bush, Burns) it was likely a Colbert/ARIII pick. He mapped it out for me and showed the picks lately that matched historical Steelers players when adjusted for era. 

The guy thinks that the change from Colbert/Hunt to Khan/Weidl is going to be one of the single best shifts in draft success a team will have without firing someone. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I was talking with someone on the plane about that who works for FO. He pointed out how easily they can tell who made the picks in Pittsburgh.

If the guy had a high RAS score with stats over the last two years, it was a Tomlin pick (TJ, Edmunds, Claypool). If it was an underclassman with decent RAS score and decent stats, the whole structure worked together (Freiermuth, Highsmith, Johnson). If the guy had a lower RAS score and great stats, with ok tape (Najee, Bush, Burns) it was likely a Colbert/ARIII pick. He mapped it out for me and showed the picks lately that matched historical Steelers players when adjusted for era. 

The guy thinks that the change from Colbert/Hunt to Khan/Weidl is going to be one of the single best shifts in draft success a team will have without firing someone. 

I really hope the new brass brings in a new way of drafting. I'm cautiously optimistic. 

12 hours ago, warfelg said:

what did this person say about getting rid of canada?

19 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I really hope the new brass brings in a new way of drafting. I'm cautiously optimistic. 

He wasn't sure, and I gave him the 'cautiously optimistic' line and he agreed.  He thinks there's going to be deeper changes to the scouting team for next year too.  

He said it really needs to happen too.  He's the guy that developed the whole metric based system for bust, below average, average, starter, stud, pro-bowl, all-pro grading for draft quality years later. He made this comment on it - look at how the last 10 years Colbert has talked about lack of money, but how many guys have left the Steelers and found success?  He said you can tell already in structure of contracts that will be some things that Khan is completely different on.  He also said Weidl and Hunt are polar opposite in scouting preferences of team building.  Hunt was an outside in guy (aka skill players are a premium, trenches are findable) while Weidl is an inside out guy (build the trenches with premium, then worry about the skill players).  He showed me how at all of Weidl's stops teams managed to find skill players late, and when he left that started to fall off.  No such thing as a coincidence.