Trade Dealine-What Moves Would You Make?

Just Want A Title

Clearly, we aren't getting to the playoffs.  We have added some young talent but we still have a ways to go.  The players who are are cornerstones for us:

Adian Huthcinson, Penie Sewell, Jonah Jackson, Frank Ragnow, Amon Ra St Brown

The players whom we are hoping to develop into cornerstones:

Jameson Williams, Josh Pascal, Jerry Jacobs, Alim McNeil, Malcom Rodriguez, Kirby Joseph

Players who are good but whose long-term value is debatable:

D'Andre Swift (always injured), TJ Hockenson (good 10-15 yard pass catcher, so-so blocker ), Taylor Decker (good but aging)

The Players who could solid role players:

Brock Wright, Craig Reynolds

All of that being said, what moves do you think make the most sense to accumulate more draft capital?  My #1 trade target:  TJ Hockenson.  He isn't dominant in the passing game (like Travis Kelce) and his blocking is still inconsistent.  He could generate some significant interested from other teams.  I would also trade Charles Harris for anything we could get.  What are some other trade deadline ideas that might benefit the Lions?  Thoughts?

I'd look at trading:

- Frank Ragnow: Yes, he's listed as a cornerstone. However, he has been battling injuries and we have a solid replacement in Evan Brown. There's a team that is probably more playoff ready that wants to shore things up the middle. If the return is there, it's not something I wouldn't at least listen to. 

- TJ: For everything that has been mentioned, I'd consider trading him. Even if it was taking a 3rd (which we could arguably get with a comp pick *MAYBE*). 

We are also missing Jeff Okudah in the "hoping to be cornerstones" category. At a minimum, this is something we should be looking for. 

I've thought of trading Decker but I don't think we really have someone to fill his spot other than Penei. It'd hurt the offensive line and we probably won't get the return to warrant it. 

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

I'd look at trading:

- Frank Ragnow: Yes, he's listed as a cornerstone. However, he has been battling injuries and we have a solid replacement in Evan Brown. There's a team that is probably more playoff ready that wants to shore things up the middle. If the return is there, it's not something I wouldn't at least listen to. 

- TJ: For everything that has been mentioned, I'd consider trading him. Even if it was taking a 3rd (which we could arguably get with a comp pick *MAYBE*). 

We are also missing Jeff Okudah in the "hoping to be cornerstones" category. At a minimum, this is something we should be looking for. 

I've thought of trading Decker but I don't think we really have someone to fill his spot other than Penei. It'd hurt the offensive line and we probably won't get the return to warrant it. 

Lets be realistic about Jeff Okudah:  this is essentially his rookie season.  He has made a fair amount of progress.  He may never live up to the #3 draft pick that he is starting to become a solid CB.  He had a strong game against the Cowboys and he still has a lot of upside.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Just Want A Title said:

Lets be realistic about Jeff Okudah:  this is essentially his rookie season.  He has made a fair amount of progress.  He may never live up to the #3 draft pick that he is starting to become a solid CB.  He had a strong game against the Cowboys and he still has a lot of upside.

He's had several strong games against top WRs. He has exceeded my expectations for him this season.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Just Want A Title said:

He's had more than just one game this year. I'd throw him into the same category as Hutch at this point. There are flashes and expectation is for them to be "the guy" but we haven't seen things consistently. Both of them fit in the "hoping for" category IMO. 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 10:32 AM, LionArkie said:

Seriously would consider trading Goff if we could get a 2nd for him. Would pretty much guarantee the first pick. I'm not sure how that would affect the cap though.

It's not possible. Lions would need to eat additional cap of something like $10-15M if I recall correctly. They don't have enough cap space to do that and I can't imagine any team would.

1 minute ago, DrRay11 said:

It's not possible. Lions would need to eat additional cap of something like $10-15M if I recall correctly. They don't have enough cap space to do that and I can't imagine any team would.

Could you convert some of that to a bonus or something? I think part of the "the salary cap is a myth" thing is that cash rich teams can restructure contracts and pay things out to the player to make room. 

5 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Could you convert some of that to a bonus or something? I think part of the "the salary cap is a myth" thing is that cash rich teams can restructure contracts and pay things out to the player to make room. 

My understanding is, if you'd convert it to a bonus, yes the cap hits are prorated over x amount of years... However, then if you release or trade, all those hits still become accelerated to the current year in terms of dead cap.

44 minutes ago, DrRay11 said:

I'd take whatever they can get for Amani O. at this point. What a disappointing regression.

I don't see them doing anything else.

I can see him getting traded for a 6th that's conditional into a 5th. He started off this year as our CB1 and played really well last year. AO is the last guy in the secondary that I had concerns about coming into this year.