2023 Mock Draft Sims

kingseanjohn

On 2/26/2023 at 9:05 PM, mayanfootball said:

One caveat on Paris Johnson, OT, Ohio State. He's not played Left Tackle since high school. He played OG for Ohio State.

He's all projection at this point. A "pretty safe" projection, but a projection none the less.

The Chiefs did this once, in 2008.

We drafted an OG, Branden Albert, in the 1st round intending that he play LT. It worked; he made a Pro Bowl. 

That was the Jamaal Charles draft. Until 2022 it was probably the best draft in the last 50 years.

14 hours ago, RedGold said:

Johnson was the LT for all of 2022

As you say, it's less of an issue with Johnson.

5 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Let's not count on a 50yrs draft.

I'm not, but the early returns are encouraging. 

A normal draft will produce a first year starter and an addition rotational player or two. A good draft will produce an immediate starter and multiple contributors, a couple of whom will eventually start. Drafts with an immediate impact player, like the Jets or the Lions in 2022are also good even without other contributors. 

The depth of our 2022 draft is unreal. We had two immediate starters, a third first year starter, and five eventual starter candidates--Skyy, Cook, Chenal, Williams, Watson. Add the three starters and useful 4th player from 2021 and our roster is suddenly well filled out.

Veach has raised the bar on what constitutes a good draft.

We are about a week away from the first wave of decent lists. For now

31: R1 P31 EDGE Lukas Van Ness - Iowa
63: R2 P32 OT Matthew Bergeron - Syracuse
95: R3 P32 S Sydney Brown - Illinois
122: R4 P20 RB Tank Bigsby - Auburn
134: R4 P32 TE Luke Schoonmaker - Michigan

I Didn't get the DT I wanted so I took the value that fell to me. 

31: R1 P31 TE Dalton Kincaid - Utah
63: R2 P32 G Cody Mauch - North Dakota State
95: R3 P32 EDGE Keion White - Georgia Tech
122: R4 P20 S Jammie Robinson - Florida State
134: R4 P32 WR Xavier Hutchinson - Iowa State

Edited by onejayhawk

Post combine draft; no trades, PFN site; I suspect that KC, with releasing Frank Clark, will continue to bargain with Orlando Brown Jr. in hopes of finalizing a deal.

31.  Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee

63.  Mazi Smith, DT, Michigan

95.  Will McDonald IV, Edge, Iowa St.

122. Daiyan Henley, LB, Washington St.

134. Cory Trice, CB, Purdue

I don't think I can improve much as of3-11-2023. No OT. That's an issue. Hyatt is BPA and a need. He'll fit in with PM who must get the ball out quickly this next season. Mazi is STRONG and will help free up Chris Jones. Will McDonald will eventually replace Frank Clark. Henley is backup and special teamer. Trice is the better available of a very deep CB class.

Edited by mayanfootball

8 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

Post combine draft; no trades, PFN site; I suspect that KC, with releasing Frank Clark, will continue to bargain with Orlando Brown Jr. in hopes of finalizing a deal.

31.  Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee

63.  Mazi Smith, DT, Michigan

95.  Will McDonald IV, Edge, Iowa St.

122. Daiyan Henley, LB, Washington St.

134. Cory Trice, CB, Purdue

I’ve professed my love for Mazi the mountain.  Even if we keep Brown we still need to address RT, but solid draft, chips lie how they lie.

a post-"Brown & Clark are out" mock:

#32 - OT Anton Harrison - Oklahoma. Traded down one slot and got the player I wanted plus #120
#52 - DT Gervon Dexter - Florida. Either rotate him with Jones in the middle or flip one of them outside. Traded up using #63, #122, and a 7th rounder
#91 - WR A.T. Perry - Wake Forrest. Traded up using the highest 6th rounder on the board. After him there was a sharp drop-off in WR.
#120 - ED Zach Harrison - Ohio State. The pick I got in the 1st round trade down. Athletic freak but may need some time.
#134 - TE Luke Schoonmaker - Michigan. Didn't target TE, but he was by far the best quality on the board.
#168 - CB Garrett Wiliams - Syracuse. Another "W" at CB; what can go wrong?

I think covering all bases. Thought about drafting another OT, but decided a tier 2/3 vet (like Wylie or another one year hire) would probably be the better option here.

I don't think Skkiribski can stay outside. That's too high for us to take am OG.

Rankings have Siaki Ika and  Mazi Smith all over the place. I have seen them from the teens to the end of round #2, like here.

Are you sure that you want your first Edge on Day #3?

3 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Are you sure that you want your first Edge on Day #3?

Management seems to like Danna. Chenal or Herring is a rotation possibility. If we must draft OT's because OBJ and Wylie are gone and we don't like the FA's available, what else do you do? I don't like mortgaging the future really either.

Edited by mayanfootball

57 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Management seems to like Danna. Chenal or Herring is a rotation possibility. If we must draft OT's because OBJ and Wylie are gone and we don't like the FA's available, what else do you do? I don't like mortgaging the future really either.

I am not assuming Wylie is gone. He was ranked #89 on the NFL list, right next to Thornhill. 

It seems clear that the team intends to use a FA for 2023. Someone like Donovan Smith would not be too expensive. Taylor Lewan would does not even impact the compensation formula if the knee can pass medical. 

50 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

If KC continues to work the "quick release" offense, he can play outside.

Fair enough. If he can play RT, Skoronski would be a beast. 

Now the problem is that you have two RT only tackles. 

1 hour ago, mayanfootball said:

Nah. Skoronski will put on weight. He can man LT if PM continues to run a "quick release" offense.  He's the best OT in the 2023 Draft.

The short arms are a real handicap for a tackle. Guard, not so much.

He’s a Pro Bowler at guard but just an average tackle if a team keeps him there. -- Executive for NFC team